“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Phwoar!

Plenty of room under there for anything from a straightforward wheel swap through to something much more complicated (if needed).

Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers and reviewers included photos like that for the benefit of those of us working in the wider gauges?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Phwoar!

Plenty of room under there for anything from a straightforward wheel swap through to something much more complicated (if needed).

Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers and reviewers included photos like that for the benefit of those of us working in the wider gauges?

You must get out more.

I dread to think what “something much more complicated (if needed)’ entails...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

I dread to think what “something much more complicated (if needed)’ entails...

Doubt that it would be necessary,  but (depending on the wheelbase) there's always one of these...

20201214_211702.jpg.bed236498b7fcc1424887ad52dd2e753.jpg

Which will hopefully find itself under a Stove R, one day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I can’t physically get to it just now*, but when I built a 6-wheel brakevan, I used standard w-irons (one fixed, one rocking) on the outer axles, and for the inner axles, removed the pin-points and enclosed the axle in a piece of 2mm bore brass tube, which was soldered to a piece of thin steel wire (electric guitar top-E string) with lots of play, and only enough pressure to keep the wheels on the track but to carry minimal load. It has worked well ever since, on its occasional outings, without any adjustment.

*Since the under frame is black, it probably wouldn’t photograph well, anyway!

• Like 2

This is a slightly different take on the uses for Independent Snow Ploughs, but there's plenty of room for P4 wheels between the side-frames, see -

- fixed axle under the blade end and rudimentary compensation at the other.  As for the centre axle, a 6-wheel ex-NBR van (D&S kit, I think) I got from a friend many years ago has a sort of floating axle carrier suspended on 2 brass wires: sounds much like Regularity's arrangement described above.

HTH

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Clarification & spelling !

14 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Doubt that it would be necessary,  but (depending on the wheelbase) there's always one of these...

20201214_211702.jpg.bed236498b7fcc1424887ad52dd2e753.jpg

Which will hopefully find itself under a Stove R, one day.

I was just thinking, it’s a shame when something as nice as this is built and most of it is hardly ever seen...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

It's the Brassmasters Cleminson underframe:

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/cleminson_underframe.htm

I stopped using Cleminson chassis, they are not as easy to use in practise.

Instead I now use sliding axles and wouldn't go back on them.  Details here and you will see that the RTR plough uses the same concept.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

I stopped using Cleminson chassis, they are not as easy to use in practise.

Instead I now use sliding axles and wouldn't go back on them.  Details here and you will see that the RTR plough uses the same concept.

Mark,

Thats so interesting, thanks for posting the link.

I’ll have to have a think as to the best way to go with the ploughs.

I’m just having a bit of a head scratch moment while reading the instructions for the point motor mounting base. The instructions say the vertical tubes - that hold the wire to the switchblades up through the baseboard -  should be on 20.5 mm centres. This is obviously greater than the track gauge but I can’t work out why? To me the blades will be spaced well below the track gauge. I’m missing something.

F2826866-4CC6-46F5-8500-5DCC8C3D2C35.jpeg.41017977251c77d293f8e2a57c928c8c.jpeg

• Like 1