“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, LBRJ said:

Be easier to keep the buffer stop unit totally isolated from the "running line" - after all they are there as the last line of Stop.

True, but at some point a wheel is going to bridge the isolation. With locos that have pick ups on all axles, it’s quite easy to end up with one axle on the rails of the bufferstop and the rest of the axles picking up and before you know it’s all gone quiet because all the sound fitted locos have shut down :D 

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, Mark Forrest said:

True, but at some point a wheel is going to bridge the isolation. With locos that have pick ups on all axles, it’s quite easy to end up with one axle on the rails of the bufferstop and the rest of the axles picking up and before you know it’s all gone quiet because all the sound fitted locos have shut down :D 

This is very true....

It shows that reality beats theory every time!!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

You've reminded me that when I assembled some brass bufferstops for Foundry Lane I glued a square of paper between the support brackets and the cross bar.  This prevents a short when a wheel (inevitably) bridges the gap between the running rails and the bufferstop.

Good advice, but it would have been excellent advice if given slightly earlier...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Looking good, but have you run out of fishplates? 

You've reminded me that when I assembled some brass bufferstops for Foundry Lane I glued a square of paper between the support brackets and the cross bar.  This prevents a short when a wheel (inevitably) bridges the gap between the running rails and the bufferstop.

9 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

7 hours ago, Regularity said:

Good advice, but it would have been excellent advice if given slightly earlier...

I have every confidence that Damian has insulated the buffer plank with two small bits of thin paper/plasticard where it joins the uprights to maintain electrical isolation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you have haven't you??

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I have every confidence that Damian has insulated the buffer plank with two small bits of thin paper/plasticard where it joins the uprights to maintain electrical isolation,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you have haven't you??

Mike.

Minor mods today?

Worth doing though as a wheel set is bound to end up on the buffer rails at some point. 

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2020 at 07:41, Enterprisingwestern said:

Could I respectfully refer you to Dave's website for the timbering arrangement?

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshire models and supplies website_157.htm

Mike.

Thanks for the link, very timely, I ordered 3 SR kits yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

If you all don’t mind looking the other way for five minutes...

I’ve just got a bit of ‘finishing’ to do....

I’m joking...

Last night I got the ballast down.

F47CC738-808F-4C42-9964-CD1534899BF1.jpeg.930fbc5027635c5f88fcb7b55a2b5907.jpeg

Like the concrete it’s very light at the minute in its ‘base’ colours and will be heavily weathered later on...

And yes fishplates will be fitted when I find the little beggars....

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Have seen a few photos where the ploughs are damaged directly above the rail head, wonder if that’s why.  That said, do you think Heljan’s ploughs sit a bit low? Looks like the top edge of the plough should be roughly in line with the top of the sandboxes.

• Informative/Useful 1

37 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Are you planning on renumbering or selling the 26?

Dave

I may do, I’ve got a 26 and two 27s from this period.

My priority is to model the ones that were there in 1983 when I went up to Inverness on a family holiday. When I bought these, which had already been converted to P4, I couldn’t get the later ones I wanted. Of course you can now. To convert these to latter ones is a bit of work including filling in the tablet catcher recess and some paintwork and renumbering.

That said, I will back date at some point because I want some of Phillip Sutton’s 24s when they appear next year...

• Like 1

A bit of fiddling around tonight after work.

I’ve masked off the fuelling plinth area for a coat of concrete coloured paint.

At the bottom is a raised section with a drain behind it - there will be some metal railings installed on this.

3DC61491-1C95-43EC-B74E-F3981950B945.jpeg.2de655e89746c38951679b369dbf3485.jpegAEFC5D6D-7341-4C9B-B1D1-56F973AF6F20.jpeg.0fb98ba9d0230b25f95dbe2fd18d1951.jpeg

I’ve also given the fuel delivery road plinth another coat.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

A bit of fiddling around tonight after work.

I’ve masked off the fuelling plinth area for a coat of concrete coloured paint.

At the bottom is a raised section with a drain behind it - there will be some metal railings installed on this.

3DC61491-1C95-43EC-B74E-F3981950B945.jpeg.2de655e89746c38951679b369dbf3485.jpegAEFC5D6D-7341-4C9B-B1D1-56F973AF6F20.jpeg.0fb98ba9d0230b25f95dbe2fd18d1951.jpeg

I’ve also given the fuel delivery road plinth another coat.

Like it.

What paint do you use for concrete?