“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

So what happened next?

As this is my first operational loco (the 2 x 26s and the 27 have P4 wheels but no DCC chips), I’d dug out my DCC controller from Diesels in the Duchy, connected the wiring up.

Boom

We had our first movements on the layout...

3C78236B-8AEC-49F1-8E7A-0841AE8659F3.jpeg.ab80245ee59b52c1c7ec73f39d7d3ecd.jpeg

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

AFA94D11-2969-4711-BDA2-F2E09AF515C7.jpeg.eee637c0195096203c06c9e8ab965bd6.jpeg

That was all a bit impromptu and unexpected - something moving on the layout.

The model is sublime in every way - I keep nipping back in to fire it back up - that sound !!

Very nice too!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

AFA94D11-2969-4711-BDA2-F2E09AF515C7.jpeg.eee637c0195096203c06c9e8ab965bd6.jpeg

That was all a bit impromptu and unexpected - something moving on the layout.

The model is sublime in every way - I keep nipping back in to fire it back up - that sound !!

I model 1920s GWR but after hearing the sound i went and purchased one. The sound is magnificent and they supply as RTR P4 too. I have now ordered a 25 as well.

Still do not know anything at all about the real things!

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That really is very nice indeed.  So far, I've resisted a 24 (although must admit if there was a suitable LM allocated one available at the moment I'd be tempted), I was unable to resist the 25 though.

I keep threatening one of my Bachmann 24s with a Silver Fox bodyshell (cab donor) and a razor saw, but know I'd never get close to the standard of an out of the box SLW.

Any thoughts on a number for yours?

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

That really is very nice indeed.  So far, I've resisted a 24 (although must admit if there was a suitable LM allocated one available at the moment I'd be tempted), I was unable to resist the 25 though.

I keep threatening one of my Bachmann 24s with a Silver Fox bodyshell (cab donor) and a razor saw, but know I'd never get close to the standard of an out of the box SLW.

Any thoughts on a number for yours?

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Just too hard to resist them though isn't it :rolleyes: , you decided on it's identity yet?

I’ve not decided on an identity yet - it’ll get used as the test loco now throughout the build - I’ll see nearer the time when the layout nears completion and we look to start exhibiting.

But yes, I’ve broken my own rules on the layout dates - but so what? 

It’s a great model that brings a smile to my face...

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

4 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

I’ve not decided on an identity yet - it’ll get used as the test loco now throughout the build - I’ll see nearer the time when the layout nears completion and we look to start exhibiting.

But yes, I’ve broken my own rules on the layout dates - but so what? 

It’s a great model that brings a smile to my face...

I now have 3 of them and 2 more of the un-numbered ones reserved for me as well as the 2 Headcode box variants I have on order and now a 25! , I'm sure I'll be having more in the future

I'm modelling the 5 Inverness ones 102/03/04/12/13 in their last days there in 75 , got a list of detail differences as long as my arm here for them too! , the 25 will become 301 at Eastfield in 78

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

I now have 3 of them and 2 more of the un-numbered ones reserved for me as well as the 2 Headcode box variants I have on order and now a 25! , I'm sure I'll be having more in the future

I'm modelling the 5 Inverness ones 102/03/04/12/13 in their last days there in 75 , got a list of detail differences as long as my arm here for them too! , the 25 will become 301 at Eastfield in 78

Did any of these types of 25 get to IS ?

I’d be tempted at one too...

I’ll probably be getting at least one of the head code boxed 24s...

50 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Did any of these types of 25 get to IS ?

I’d be tempted at one too...

I’ll probably be getting at least one of the head code boxed 24s...

25092/093 spent time there in 75/76 , I had a chat with Phil@SLW when I was ordering 25324 to turn into a Scottish one , although I would have preferred to do 092/093 he said 324 wasn't suitable for either due to a couple of differences which I can't off the top of my head remember but have notes at home which I will let you know later , Ironically Heljan have done 093 but in 80's condition

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

25092/093 spent time there in 75/76 , I had a chat with Phil@SLW when I was ordering 25324 to turn into a Scottish one , although I would have preferred to do 092/093 he said 324 wasn't suitable for either due to a couple of differences which I can't off the top of my head remember but have notes at home which I will let you know later , Ironically Heljan have done 093 but in 80's condition

Whats the general view on where the new Heljan ones fit quality and detail wise?

46 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Whats the general view on where the new Heljan ones fit quality and detail wise?

From what I've read on here many are not impressed , I haven't bought one seen as Suttons announced theirs before I had chance to part with any cash , Just got home and had a look at the notes I took when I was chatting to Phil , 25092/093 were vac braked only , 093 had bodyside numbers , the one I chose to convert to 25301 is a dual braked one which is correct for the 25324 he's producing , it has been mentioned that some Scottish versions will be produced in the not too distant future

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

From what I've read on here many are not impressed , I haven't bought one seen as Suttons announced theirs before I had chance to part with any cash , Just got home and had a look at the notes I took when I was chatting to Phil , 25092/093 were vac braked only , 093 had bodyside numbers , the one I chose to convert to 25301 is a dual braked one which is correct for the 25324 he's producing , it has been mentioned that some Scottish versions will be produced in the not too distant future

Scottish versions you say.

Oh hell!

10 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Have you seen the latest SLW announcement though?

I'll just leave this here...

7582_Inverness_9-6-73

I have seen this announcement but how does it relate to this picture? This isn't a 25/3 anyway so couldn't be modelled from any of the models Suttons have announced

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I have seen this announcement but how does it relate to this picture? This isn't a 25/3 anyway so couldn't be modelled from any of the models Suttons have announced

Do try to keep up at the back please :D

unnamed.jpg.bccadacbdf029b442b11e78121a6cee3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Do try to keep up at the back please :D

unnamed.jpg.bccadacbdf029b442b11e78121a6cee3.jpg

I'd seen this picture on FB but the picture wasn't on the official suttons page hence I thought this was someone's personal projects and not Phil teasing us with another variant