“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

35 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Good progress old bean. 

Pity that the fiddle wasn't an inch further forward, you could have brought the front line into use too.

Nah, I’m happy how it is - you know me, I like the odd random track that goes nowhere. Remember the two “Newquay” lines on Diesels in the Duchy? They went nowhere - and they were different gauges, one P4, one EM...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rochdale Road said:

Looking good Damian.

Is the front Rose Street curve just to complete the scene, rather than being operational? EDIT: Sorry missed a page, hadn't seen there was a page 50 and 2ManySpams has answered my question!!

Richie

Yes Rose Street curve is just to complete the scene.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Yes Rose Street curve is just to complete the scene.

Also, if it connected to the fiddle yard, you would need to add a second fiddle yard on the other end to allow traffic to run through.

3 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Also, if it connected to the fiddle yard, you would need to add a second fiddle yard on the other end to allow traffic to run through.

We are experts at scope creep - too many over the years.

So it’s a no - I’m hanging on this concept - there’ll be no extensions...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

Our Layout (now sold) Treneglos is a good case in point...

To be fair Treneglos was only extended twice and only had two generations of fiddle yard. A minor 12' extension in scope over the original 20' - only 60% scope creep.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Meanwhile I’ve got two more stock rails fitted in the fiddle-yard.

210981D4-21EA-4C22-B9E6-E206F16E32A0.jpeg.aeff1bb1608344a887324fc395dd3c95.jpeg

Don't know why you're worrying about the fiddle yard now, there'll be plenty of time on the Friday night of it's exhibition debut. :good: 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Regularity said:

4 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

We are experts at scope creep - too many over the years.

So it’s a no - I’m hanging on this concept - there’ll be no extensions...

My comment was meant as a reason not to make the changes...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Final stock-rail in (albeit under the influence of Peroni). I’ll see what it looks like in the morning.

3809C9C3-40B4-4B45-AF05-648EB5DFD0CF.jpeg.94a9686da1c4ad5c5dce29227dc4e9be.jpeg1F666E61-034D-46DE-B7C8-0B362C7C3BC6.jpeg.98fe8c7c7c244d466a46bc5f731f2213.jpeg

At risk of encouraging scope creep; have you considered adding scenery to the fiddle yard and turning it into a shunting plank?  Two layouts in one, with each serving as a fiddle yard for the other.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

At risk of encouraging scope creep; have you considered adding scenery to the fiddle yard and turning it into a shunting plank?  Two layouts in one, with each serving as a fiddle yard for the other.

Have you been drinking your home brew again?

Repeat after me - there will be no scope creep.

(I ended up reading the whole of the Treneglos thread after that little diversion above - great memories)

To be fair the scenics (the side of the adjacent shed) will go in to the fiddle yard. Somewhere in an earlier thread I explore this with cardboard buildings...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, Indomitable026 said:

Have you been drinking your home brew again?

Repeat after me - there will be no scope creep.

(I ended up reading the whole of the Treneglos thread after that little diversion above - great memories)

To be fair the scenics (the side of the adjacent shed) will go in to the fiddle yard. Somewhere in an earlier thread I explore this with cardboard buildings...

Here’s a link to the cardboard building mock-ups. Showing how the buildings may extend in to the fiddleyard.

31 minutes ago, Rochdale Road said:

Quite impressed with how quick your getting track down! I am hoping when I come to start track laying on my P4 layout I can achieve something similar!

Looking good Damian

Richie

I’ve generally really enjoyed it. The key thing is as I’ve got older I’ve managed to slow myself down and pace myself - I was always in too much of a rush to get things done before. Building this P4 track has been no more difficult than any other gauges I’ve worked in - in fact with the excellent gauges and jigs in some ways it’s easier. 

Posting on here allows me to reflect and check - these days all my work is done under a magnifier, however there’s nothing like closeup photos to show you what’s wrong  - it’s warts and all on here. 

Like everything it’s important to recognise when your having a bad day and walk away - some days I can’t even thread chairs on rail - it’s fascinating how different you can feel and how it effects your abilities on a given day.

Enjoy your build.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

The key thing is as I’ve got older I’ve managed to slow myself down and pace myself - I was always in too much of a rush to get things done before

The joys of not having exhibition deadlines, one slightly backhanded advantage of Covid19.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The joys of not having exhibition deadlines, one slightly backhanded advantage of Covid19.

Mike.

The truth is... that is the problem we all face, motivation without a deadline.  Damian has got it at the moment!    

Work tomorrow Mr Ross ?

Andy