Bachmann J72

Lu4472ke

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, 47137 said:

Please, do we know yet whether the body shell is plastic or diecast?

(If it's plastic I'll place a pre-order with a view to converting it to another class, but if it's diecast I'll pass it by)

- Richard.

43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

For that, you might do as well with the old Mainline/Bachmann version which is plastic and a good deal cheaper, second hand.

E? Or something off-NER?

The project would be a LSWR G6 in 1:87 scale - major dimensions convert well.

To be honest, the Palitoy chassis is never going to satisfy. I could go for a Palitoy body on a scale underframe (a kit), but the new Bachmann model will probably run as well or better than any chassis I can build.

So really, the new Bachmann model would be a good starting point if it has a plastic body; but if the body is diecast I'll go the Palitoy/chassis kit route or not begin at all. Hence my question :-)

Edit: I should add, I have some vouchers to spend in a shop. They have no stock I actually want (few shops do), but the new J72 just might be a way to spend the vouchers.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 47137 said:

The project would be a LSWR G6 in 1:87 scale - major dimensions convert well.

That makes sense. I was thinking that at 4 mm/ft the E1's drivers would be a little on the small side for anything look-alike.

According a review i read in M Railway Magazine Modelling, the model have a die-cast metal running plate, the boiler, body cab and sidetanks are plastic moldings,model weight total is 175 gram.

A coreless motor is setteld in the boiler between the chimney and dome

The review model seems to have to many spokes 14 instead of the 12 as it should be, hopefully the production model have not.

Hope this will help  

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

That'll set the Hares running!

P

According Hornby's magazine review a coreless motor in boiler, Railway Magazine is speaking over a smooth- running motor, no mention about a  coreless motor, so what will it be than?

We have to rely on the reviews

6 minutes ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

Or confirmation one way or the other from Bachmann.

With there being some resistance from certain parts of the model railway fraternity to coreless motors due to their supposed incompatibility with some types of legacy  feed back controllers, I'd have thought Bachmann would have stressed to reviewers what type of motor it used.

I'm sure warranty returns with popped  motors due to folks using old controllers is something Bachmann will be aware of.

For what it's worth I've seen a good few coreless motors running quite satisfactorily on feedback controllers.

P

On 27/10/2019 at 12:45, Cor-onGRT4 said:

According Hornby's magazine review a coreless motor in boiler, Railway Magazine is speaking over a smooth- running motor, no mention about a  coreless motor, so what will it be than?

Model Rail has just arrived on my phone. “Motor type: Sealed can,” it says and there is a picture of a nice, chunky motor inside the body. Phew!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Sorry chaps are any of these DARLO built?

Of the four new Bachmann locos, details are as follows:-

2173 (BR 68690)    built Darlington 1914*

68696 (NER 2179) built Darlington 1914

2313 (BR 68720)    built Armstrong Whitworth 1922

68733 (NER 2326) built Armstrong Whitworth 1922

*fantasy livery based on photographic grey works photo

I was born and brought up in Darlington and never came across the expression Darlo, which seems common today!

Regards

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Darlo is the nickname of the football club. I've never heard anyone call them The Quakers. Even though it's on the badge.

With the greatest respect to the Society of Friends, I really don't think "The Quakers" really gives the impression one wants from one's favourite team.

"Oop the Baggies", I sez.

Yes, it was always "The Quakers" in my day, but that was a long time ago when they were at Feethams and trolleybuses used to queue outside the ground for the end . I was taken to a match when I was about 5. I remember being interested in the turnstile and being glad when it was half time so we could go home! I haven't been to another match since.  When I was pushed in my pram to see the trains  on the ECML next to Stephenson's works they were still LNER. My grandmother was a Quaker.  A different world.

Returning to the thread, I wonder how long the first J72 will take to get to the shops and whether the other three will follow closely. All four say "December" on the dealer's list. I loved the Darlington station pilots and have an early film I took of one shunting a parcels van as an A3 comes in on the "Queen of Scots".

• Like 3

Lovely little model but ouch! at the price. £105.99 at Kernow and that's with some discount on RRP. The Hornby new tooling Terrier in comparison being available for £35 less! Can see these sitting on the shelves for a while!

• Agree 2

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Sam Moss said:

Lovely little model but ouch! at the price. £105.99 at Kernow and that's with some discount on RRP. The Hornby new tooling Terrier in comparison being available for £35 less! Can see these sitting on the shelves for a while!

Surely that depends on whether you want a specific loco for your layout of just any tank engine. If your layout needs a J72, then your options are buy Bachmann, use an old model or kitbuild. Likewise, if you need a Terrier, it wouldn't matter what the price is, you have to buy a Terrier from Hornby or Rails.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Sun Chariot said:

Can anyone outline the detail differences between the original class members of J72s built way back from 1898 and the later 1950s build 69001 - 69028

Bob

The very basic difference is that the 1950s locos, in fact all the locos built from 1914 onwards, had extended rear frames and 6" longer bunker than the 20 engines built 1898/9 - hence the Bachmann and Mainline models are not suitable for these nineteenth century engines without major surgery.

The 1898/9 locos had Ramsbottom safety valves with brass "trumpet" covers; the 1914 locos had Ross pop safety valves; subsequent boiler changes and renewals mixed things up a bit. Likewise buffers varied over time. I've just re-read the J72 section of Locomotives of the LNER Part 8B (RCTS, 1983) but am still confused about what safety valves the BR-built engines were given from new - I have the impression that there may have been a reversion to Ramsbottom valves and trumpet cover?

In short, the RTR model does not represent the first 20 engines, in BR-speak, 68670-68689.

Edited by Compound2632