Bachmann J72

Lu4472ke

• RMweb Gold

The J72’s had to be rewheeled owing to the wheels having too many spokes. It has lead to a few problems with running, but I can only say that my three are all very good, smooth runners indeed. All were tested in the shop prior to purchase.

Regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2020 at 23:17, JSpencer said:

I wonder how many sales Heljan will loose with their - likely to be - F rating. 

Will we stop with our hobby or stop buying when other manufacturers also switch to coreless motors? I don't think so, Precisely because there are no worse results at DCC, and manufacturers are seeing increasing sales there. At the moment there is little difference in price with large numbers of motors they buy. (If they can still buy the old ones) However, this is now changing, making the choice for the MRR manufacturer.

You can always build large stocks of conventional motors so that you can move forward yourself for the next years.

When the old-fashioned light bulb went out, not everyone was happy either. Now we don't know any better.

Ed

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, etendam said:

Will we stop with our hobby or stop buying when other manufacturers also switch to coreless motors? I don't think so, Precisely because there are no worse results at DCC, and manufacturers are seeing increasing sales there. At the moment there is little difference in price with large numbers of motors they buy. (If they can still buy the old ones) However, this is now changing, making the choice for the MRR manufacturer.

You can always build large stocks of conventional motors so that you can move forward yourself for the next years.

When the old-fashioned light bulb went out, not everyone was happy either. Now we don't know any better.

Ed

I agree there. All these labels of 5-pole, coreless, 50/1 drives etc. while they might look nice in marketing, they are not really going to influence my purchase. What will is the choice of subject, my experience with the manufacturers models and feedback we see here. I'm sure Bachmann will have thoroughly tested these on DCC before manufacture unlike another make (now gone) whose coreless has proved a right cow on DCC.

Maybe these small coreless motors will consume less electricity but I do feel the bulk of the energy these models consume is when they are made and shipped halfway across the world. Once here, most will spend there time stuck in their boxes so any life long energy savings over an older 5-pole iron core motor are negated!

I found the idea slightly amusing in model trains having energy efficiency stickers like we see for fridges etc. The world might just be mad enough to do that 50 years from now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mine did 4 15 min laps of a Kato Oval yesterday- back, forward, turn round, back, forward to ensure even running in of everything but it was slightly noisy. Then put a non sound Zmo decoder in and having last decoder fitted a couple of Hornby models what a delight it was to have a loco on which the body just dropped off without a problem once the screws were undone and the loose wiring inside was pretty precision fitted. That was a distinct comparison to the appalling excess of wires resulting in a spiders web of them in the Hornby models which in one case posed problems refitting the body. The Next 18 socket seems to me to be simplest to fit a decoder in that has existed to date; no bent pin issues and 100% foolproof on which way round the decoder goes though the positioning of the socket in this loco.

Edited by Butler Henderson

On 28/02/2020 at 14:48, Steamport Southport said:

Shows how good the old Mainline version was for something first made in the mid 1970s.

Jason

Absolutely. I was reckoning on retiring my Mainline one once I acquiring the new Bachmann version, but while there's more finesse to the new one and I love it to bits, the Mainline one still stands comparison and is more than good enough to shunt the Ministry of Munitions site.

• Like 2

Mind you, it hasn't stopped me buying 2313 [the LNER Newcastle pilot] as well, and for the record both of them run fine out of the box with no problems. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Nathan70000,

If you are happy to replace the smokebox handles on the early one then you could pass it as one of the BR batch with relative ease.  The late crest model has, IIRC, both vacuum brake and steam heat;  I don't have access to my books to see if any of the 69xxx batch had those.  If you can wait a day or two then I can check.

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2021 at 20:50, Porcy Mane said:

Sandboxes???

True, and there may also be the matter of buffers as these varied across batches and works visits.  I've just managed to get to my books so hopefully they'll have photos of the OP's preferred numbers; I can then compare them to the Baccy model.

• 3 weeks later...

NO PLACE now has an E1 with sound and a stay alive fitted by Digitrains.

It will nicely run into the siding that defeats so many other engines, and back out again.

Only downside is I bought it for the preservation side of the layout.  It could displace others from the colliery yard.  I'll have to get one of the Hornby WD saddletanks away for similar...

Les

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I purchased 68733 on a complete whim in Carlisle the other day.  Must admit, regarding running, the coreless motor gave jerky running on a GM Feedback controller.  I'm on DCC, so the engine now has a ZImo next 18 decoder.  Running on DCC far quieter, much better slow-speed.  Seems to be getting smoother and quieter.  Initially with the decoder, the engine stalled repeatedly, due to the very small wheelbase and lack of sprung drivers.  I've squeezed in as many tantalum capacitors connected to a Stay Alive Charging Circuit, as shown on Youchoos' website.  Excellent haulage for such a tiny locomotive.   Overall, I'm pleased with the engine: only suggestion to Bachmann would be to reconsider the sprung centre drivers, as per the LMS 3F Jinty and GWR Panniers.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, liathach said:

I purchased 68733 on a complete whim in Carlisle the other day.  Must admit, regarding running, the coreless motor gave jerky running on a GM Feedback controller.  I'm on DCC, so the engine now has a ZImo next 18 decoder.  Running on DCC far quieter, much better slow-speed.  Seems to be getting smoother and quieter.  Initially with the decoder, the engine stalled repeatedly, due to the very small wheelbase and lack of sprung drivers.  I've squeezed in as many tantalum capacitors connected to a Stay Alive Charging Circuit, as shown on Youchoos' website.  Excellent haulage for such a tiny locomotive.   Overall, I'm pleased with the engine: only suggestion to Bachmann would be to reconsider the sprung centre drivers, as per the LMS 3F Jinty and GWR Panniers.

The Bachmann coreless motors dont suit DC feedback controllers. Its deplorable that Bachmann now seem to care so little about some customers that they've also ditched the sprung centre drivers that made other 0-6-0s reliable on all systems.

• 3 months later...

My new E1 arrived yesterday and unfortunately I've had a similar experience on DC to many others. At higher speeds it's quite smooth, but sadly it really runs like a dog at slow speeds - squeaky wheels and inconsistent performance on my DC Kato controller, constant speeding up and slowing down. Not very pleased. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys, I've been tempted by one of these at what seems a fair price after having it on my wishlist for a long time. What I wanted to ask about was how the sound fitted examples square up against buying a DCC ready version and separate decoder/speaker. This would be my first foray into a sound fitted loco of any sort and I couldn't find anything on google by way of comparison, for this or any other examples of factory fitted sound vs DIY.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Hi @Tomathee, the factory fitted sound is pretty nice, but I'd say that the YouChoos sound project sounds a little richer. However, it is a pretty small speaker as standard and there isn't a lot of space to upgrade it. It may be your main constraint on sound quality. I found fitting a LaisDCC stay-alive as per Hornby Magazine to be useful if you have any dead frog points - their guide is also helpful in getting into the loco if you want to fit sound. It is a little cheaper buying it already sound fitted.

It has a flickering firebox linked to the sound project from the factory when DCC Sound fitted. I'd presume that other sound projects also support that.

• Thanks 1