Bachmann J72

Lu4472ke

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Tomathee said:

Hi guys, I've been tempted by one of these at what seems a fair price after having it on my wishlist for a long time. What I wanted to ask about was how the sound fitted examples square up against buying a DCC ready version and separate decoder/speaker. This would be my first foray into a sound fitted loco of any sort and I couldn't find anything on google by way of comparison, for this or any other examples of factory fitted sound vs DIY.

Thanks

The sound fitted versions are a good price at the moment but if you do decide to buy a third party chip its a very easy conversion. The non sound model has a prefitted speaker and body removal and chip fitting are both easy. Plug and play. I've got the Digitrains project in mine - lovely :)

• 1 month later...

Here is my conversion of J72 LNER No.2313 to E1 No.2181 in N.E.R. livery which has involved a considerable amount of reviewing @Worsdell forever's similar conversion (and yes it is the same number, but the only one allocated remotely near where my modelling is based on!).

Parts fitted include:

• Tapered buffers by "Markits" from Roxey Mouldings
  • Transfers are "HMRS" pressfix
  • Smokebox handwheel is "Mainly Trains" from Wizard Models
  • Smokebox handle is "Comet" from Wizard Models
  • Custom etch numberplate from Narrow Planet / Light Railway Stores
  • Three link couplings are Smiths LP1

Other changes:

• Armstrong Whitworth makers plate removed
  • Pipework removed from bufferbeams, along the boiler, cab and under the running plate
  • Vertical red lining at rear corners of bunker added
  • Connecting rod joints painted dark grey
  • Light weathering, mostly below the running plate with airbrush

318019373_1312692999305718_7368873475473733947_n.jpg

318072395_542131984161150_7374545971127390171_n.jpg

318431362_1195580524690479_7528096548813172952_n.jpg

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 minutes ago, thetalkinlens said:

Here is my conversion of J72 LNER No.2313 to E1 No.2181 in N.E.R. livery.

Parts fitted include:

• Tapered buffers by "Markits" from Roxey Mouldings
  • Transfers are "HMRS" pressfix
  • Smokebox handwheel is "Mainly Trains" from Wizard Models
  • Smokebox handle is "Comet" from Wizard Models
  • Custom etch numberplate from Narrow Planet / Light Railway Stores
  • Three link couplings are Smiths LP1

Other changes:

• Armstrong Whitworth makers plate removed
  • Pipework removed from bufferbeams, along the boiler, cab and under the running plate
  • Vertical red lining at rear corners of bunker added
  • Connecting rod joints painted dark grey
  • Light weathering, mostly below the running plate with airbrush

318019373_1312692999305718_7368873475473733947_n.jpg

318072395_542131984161150_7374545971127390171_n.jpg

318431362_1195580524690479_7528096548813172952_n.jpg

That’s nice. How about it, Bachy? For us less talented folks.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally got around to run my 2313, now I'm starting a shunting plank above my desk. It stopped every couple of decimeters, started again, but never ran smooth. Sound is great however. 

I wanted to open it, to see what's wrong. Well, opening was not necessary, the screws from the keeperplate are missing. Since I never really ran it, it must have arrived like that. I had a spare screw laying around, enough for a temporary repair, and now it runs like a gem. Very happy with it, just need to source some screws. 

I hope for a rerun some day, to get a stable mate. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Finally got around to run my 2313, now I'm starting a shunting plank above my desk. It stopped every couple of decimeters, started again, but never ran smooth. Sound is great however. 

I wanted to open it, to see what's wrong. Well, opening was not necessary, the screws from the keeperplate are missing. Since I never really ran it, it must have arrived like that. I had a spare screw laying around, enough for a temporary repair, and now it runs like a gem. Very happy with it, just need to source some screws. 

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/category/2-branchline-steam-parts/j72.

They are very helpful.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Johan DC said:

They are lovely smooth runners and powerful too - use mine as 'Station Pilot' and it will haul 8 bogies on a 36 inch curve on my less than level baseboards comfortably -  thats 2 more than the Bachmann 03 can manage. Got the Digitrains sound project in mine on a Zimo