Great Coles Wood Halt (was City Goods Inspired 22L Micro Layout)

• RMweb Gold

Having seen Paul's (Howl03) City Goods at the end of last year I've been inspired to do something similar ever since...  Perfect for a flat and gives enough scope to model and operate on a smaller budget. 

My preference to create a diorama of a Sussex SR/BR Early country branch however is proving difficult as City Goods works so well being naturally enclosed in an industrial environment!  I'm still coming to terms that it won't accomodate Hornby's H-Class push-pull set, but nevermind!

Anyway, early plans have therefore shifted to loosely recreating Freshfield Halt (below) from the early days of the Bluebell Railway; effectively a make shift halt which I plan to make from a wooden Scenecraft platform (#44-0010) and ramp (#44-0011).  The line will 'continue' at the end of the halt but with a makeshift buffer (replicating the period when the Bluebell weren't permitted to operate to Horsted Keynes).  Operationally it won't be big enough for a entire carriage but perhaps breakvan rides, etc which would be realistic.  The 'fiddle yard' will be hidden by a single or double-track bridge (Sheffield Park to Horsted Keynes was made for double-track but only a single track was ever laid).  As a challenge to my modelling skills I'd look to add a Dapol (#4L-003-005) SR lattice signal (home starter) infront of the bridge...

I'm looking for suggestions with what to do for the second line as ideally I'd like a reason to shunt; my first thought was an overgrown siding or something added upon closure?  Not sure how either would have worked on the prototype, especially considering how remote it was?

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Next step is to venture to B&Q...

image0-2.jpg

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Love this, looking for more!

Armin

PS: I'm unable to see a reason to shunt there... So would not add a second line.

Thank you, Armin!

I've been desperately trying to find something to support my plan (as I'm relucantly in agreement with you) but may have now found something on the Felbridge & District History Group website...

There were two official halts, Rowfant Station (1855) and Grange Road Station (1860).  However, at the insistence of Earl de La Warrs agent, a siding was also constructed near Imberhorne Farm for loading and/or unloading produce or for passengers to alight.  The formation of the Southern Railway in 1923, had little effect on the line, but when the transition to British Rail took place in 1948, the Company decided to demolish the Imberhorne Siding on the grounds it was rarely used.  However, Mr Edward Blount, having consulted his deeds, forced British Rail to reinstate the siding and emphasised the point by ordering fifty tons of basic slag to be delivered to his farm by rail.  Four years later, British Rail obtained Parliamentary Authority for its closure.  The line itself was finally closed in 1966 under the Beeching Plan and the rails, sleepers etc, removed.  The route was subsequently purchased by the West Sussex County Council, and became known as the Worth Way for use by walkers, cyclists and equestrian traffic.

Unfortunately I'm unable to locate a track plan therefore more research needed for the moment!  This branch ran from Three Bridges to East Grinstead and so geographically relevant.

Edited by jafcreasey

• RMweb Gold

Things are coming together, if a little slow!

B&Q failed with the storage box but have since purchased a Whitefurze Allstore Container (27L) from Amazon, along with a made-to-measure Deluxe baseboard from Model Scenery Supplies (£78.00) - alas I don't have the space or tools, let alone skills, to attempt myself!

A track plan for the siding at Imberhorne has been located and while it can be scaled-down would probably mean too much in too smaller space; most likely I'll revert to replicating City Goods with a siding off the mainline housing the wooden platform.  A single line I know would be more probable, but unfortunately it's unlikely to keep my interest as my next project won't be for a long while!

Whilst waiting for the baseboard, other purchases have included the Scenecraft Shillingstone platelayers hut (#44-169) and a Dapol 10t Tool Van, allocated to Horsted Keynes.

Attention is now turning to track choice (Peco 75 with electrofrog the forerunner) and choice of DCC controller...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyway, early plans have therefore shifted to loosely recreating Freshfield Halt (below) from the early days of the Bluebell Railway;

Next step is to venture to B&Q.

For a prototype that small, I wondered if you were planning to simply buy the timber required to make a 1:1 model...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Model Scenery Supplies baseboard duly arrived and fits snugly in the container; note the small lips on each end acting as handles (iPhone pictures attached).  This was a topic of conversation on Paul's (Howl03) City Goods but as I don't intend to have backboards in the scenic half this was something I thought worthwhile adding!

Bachmann's E4 Class No 32494 (35-079) is seen with the Tool Van mentioned previous to demonstrate the space available.  The bridge (and divide) will sit just beyond the E4, concealing the smallest of 'fiddle yards'.  The intention was to have a double-track bridge but this will be changed to a single-track - although prototypical, the added space will likely reveal too much of the fiddle yard beyond, detracting from the scenic half.

Track-work and scenery will be aided by a fellow RMweb member over the coming weeks and months, more of which to follow...

Although the 'layout' will be set in the early 1960's to mirror the Bluebell Railway's early days, it's intention is to be pretty timeless.

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Have I seen that this has made it's way to Chris Nevard to work on?

Indeed it has, Chris; very eagle-eyed...

It was a project I intended to hone my skills on, but having done the research, I still don't understand the electrical side of things; as well, the cost of tools to get the finish wanted is such an expense to be used just once on such a small layout.

Some (if not most) will see it as a 'cop out' but ultimately I get more enjoyment from operating and look forward to having a go at some rolling stock kits instead!

• Like 1

Indeed it has, Chris; very eagle-eyed...

It was a project I intended to hone my skills on, but having done the research, I still don't understand the electrical side of things; as well, the cost of tools to get the finish wanted is such an expense to be used just once on such a small layout.

Some (if not most) will see it as a 'cop out' but ultimately I get more enjoyment from operating and look forward to having a go at some rolling stock kits instead!

Don't see it as a cop out at all. We all have different aspects of modelling that we prefer - kit building for me - so if operating is your thing then I don't blame you.

Can't wait to see it, Chris is a master at what he does.

P.S. I don't understand the electrical stuff either - I'm toying with DCC and it boggles my mind!

• RMweb Gold

Don't see it as a cop out at all. We all have different aspects of modelling that we prefer - kit building for me - so if operating is your thing then I don't blame you.

Can't wait to see it, Chris is a master at what he does.

P.S. I don't understand the electrical stuff either - I'm toying with DCC and it boggles my mind!

Appreciate it, Chris!  I went to WYCRAIL yesterday and saw Brew St and Fountain Colliery for the first time - both so impressive and were given the best layout award.

Can only echo your sentiment re DCC; add an electrofrog point to the mix and :O

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A photographic journey of progress, courtesy of Chris Nevard on social media...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbb_Hk1g0Oy/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbd75IKgUOq/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbeVGiygmr1/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbgsXyjAXA7/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbgtbYMgVFO/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbhIUKzgSz2/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbjoOncAo5o/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbmxei1AptM/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbm0uBQgiz6/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbnOcyxgxX6/?taken-by=nevardmedia

https://www.facebook.com/chrisnevard/posts/1705118859538859

Chris has in my view captured the early days of preservation perfectly (no need for health and safety considerations!), along with the remoteness of the halt originally intended.

It was suggested by Chris (and my Dad, admittedly) that the entire baseboard be scenic thus increasing photo opportunities, which has worked well.  Scope for a little shunting, even if there's no (second) destination...

The layout's being collected next week therefore further updates to follow...

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Good looking layout. One question. How do you operate the point? By hand etc.

Thanks, Johna.

Yes, manually operated however Chris has made an allowance for a point motor should I wish to change in the future.  The intention was to use two Cobalt-S Levers for both the point and signal but when we changed the layout to be all scenic there was no room to accommodate (unless on a separate control panel, which defeated the object of being self contained).

Very impressive looking layout. I agree that will make some really good background as photos for your stock. I also really like the idea of the plastic storage box, I'm now trying to work out how many of them I can fit under the bed...

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2020 at 19:47, 1722 said:

Any progress or developments on this?

Whilst there's scope to extend, the layout itself has remained the same - stock has increased tenfold however!  The most recent arrivals include USA Class No 30064, B4 Class No 30096 and A1X Class No 32655 (the first two primarily due to @Graham_Muz and his Canute Road Quay).

I've slowly been adding images to my Gallery page.

Eventually I'd like a seperate station diorama, having purchased the recent release of Bluebell Railway buildings, but that won't be for a while unfortunately...

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, jafcreasey said:

Whilst there's scope to extend, the layout itself has remained the same - stock has increased tenfold however!  The most recent arrivals include USA Class 'Yankee Tank' No 30064, B4 Class No 30096 and A1X Class No 32655 (the first two primarily due to @Graham_Muz and his Canute Road Quay).

APC_5895-hdr.jpg.802ce6864e35c648199bd5550dc55bfc.jpg

I've slowly been adding images to my Gallery page.

Eventually I'd like a seperate station diorama, having purchased the recent release of Bluebell Railway buildings, but that won't be for a while unfortunately...

Excellent. Glad there are plans for something else. I enjoy browsing your website/instagram page when time allows. 

• Thanks 1