Wiring Tortoise Switch Machines

SJR

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm trying to wire several Tortoise Switch machines following the wiring guide in the instructions.

I have chosen method two which is the bi polar method using two 6 volt DC transformers wired in series.

Getting power to the machines but nothing happens!

any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Simon Read

So, you have 3 wires then? One from each transformer and a third from where the two transformers are connected together (a centre-tap) ? And you are connecting one wire from the centre-tap to say terminal 1 and one of the other wires to terminal 8?

The transformers​ DC power supplies must be wired in series as shown in the top part of the drawing

the positive(+) of one transformer DC​ power supplies must be connected to the negative (-) of the other transformer DC​ power supplies & that becomes common wire to all of your tortoises

post-28417-0-22599500-1502884599_thumb.jpg

If you have connected as per the bottom drawing then the tortoise wont work (it might work the first time you turn on the power but only the one time)

I have always used the equivalent of 2 by 12V transformers DC​ power supplies & am not sure how well the tortoises work on 6V

John

Edited to appease the pedantic

Edited by John ks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The transformers must be wired in series as shown in the top part of the drawing

the positive(+) of one transformer must be connected to the negative (-) of the other transformer & that becomes common wire to all of your tortoises

attachicon.giftort.jpg

If you have connected as per the bottom drawing then the tortoise wont work (it might work the first time you turn on the power but only the one time)

I have always used the equivalent of 2 by 12V transformers & am not sure how well the tortoises work on 6V

John

May I raise the obvious question, what is a 'DC transformer'? Such a thing cannot exist!

OP, what exactly are you using as a power supply, are you sure the outputs are DC, or is it actually an AC transformer, in which case you'll need to wire as per the 3rd diagram.

http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/ins/800-6000ins.pdf

Edit to add.

If it is a twin 6 Volt DC power supply, then yes, you are correct, the wiring MUST be as per your FIRST diagram.

2nd edit, to get it right - duh!

Edited by kevinlms

• RMweb Gold

May I raise the obvious question, what is a 'DC transformer'? Such a thing cannot exist!

OP, what exactly are you using as a power supply, are you sure the outputs are DC, or is it actually an AC transformer, in which case you'll need to wire as per the 3rd diagram.

http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/ins/800-6000ins.pdf

Edit to add.

If it is a twin 6 Volt DC power supply, then yes, you are correct, the wiring MUST be as per your FIRST diagram.

2nd edit, to get it right - duh!

dc voltage transformers do indeed exist :)

http://www.telcon.co.uk/PDF%20Files/DCVT5S.pdf

ive have bought that very one to fix a solid state automatic voltage regulator in one of our locomotives :)

However......when i first bought tortoises......i was shocked to work out that they recommended 2 power supplies for potentially 1 point motor.....therefore i did come up with a circuit with a relay, which did the job with one 12v power supply which could automatically operated two points opposite each other. and even had circuit boards printed for it, and it worked very well...but then i switched to DCC....and it was a lot easier :) But i do miss operating my tortoises with these and my modratec lever frame. 

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Premium

The transformers​ DC power supplies must be wired in series as shown in the top part of the drawing

the positive(+) of one transformer DC​ power supplies must be connected to the negative (-) of the other transformer DC​ power supplies & that becomes common wire to all of your tortoises

attachicon.giftort.jpg

I have always used the equivalent of 2 by 12V transformers DC​ power supplies & am not sure how well the tortoises work on 6V

John

Edited to appease the pedantic

Sorry, it wasn't specifically aimed at you (although I did reply to your diagrams).

But if the OP IS using an AC source that would explain the non operation.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for your advice. More power did the trick with the application of two 12 V DC power supplies.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1