Atso's occasional workbench

Atso

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I last started a topic on this forum and thought I'd share the result of my first proper attempt at weathering an N gauge locomotive. The K3 loco and tender bodies are one of my 3D prints which has been modified to fit the Farish N Class chassis and V2 tender. The locomotive has been hand lined (with the exception of the boiler bands which are Fox Transfers) using a ruling pen. The weathering is a mixture of airbrushing and weathering powders and is probably a little too dirty for the 1930s but I'm quite happy with the result overall.

Anyway enough waffling, here is the picture...

post-943-0-12258800-1502996021_thumb.jpg

I'll see about writing a more meaningful post once I'm back from holiday.

• Like 17

Just a quicky before I disappear on holiday for a week. The light is terrible now but below is a picture of my N gauge D49 'Yorkshire' which is just about complete cosmetically and just needs me to sort out the loco/tender connections.

post-943-0-09088700-1503000548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atso
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I've just returned from a nice holiday with my better half in North Yorkshire. She was very kind and let me take a some plastic kits with me to build (I'm an early riser and she isn't!). So four kits when up with me; there would have been more but they didn't arrive in time!

I managed to build a Parkside Dundas LNER loco coal wagon, two Chivers horsebox kits and a Parkside LNER van body.

post-943-0-17983100-1503767124_thumb.jpeg

The eagle eyed among you may notice that one of the horseboxes has its chassis the wrong way around. I noticed this when I unpacked it last night and have since corrected this (after much surgery and blue language!).

When we got back, I found this little lot waiting for me!

post-943-0-54205500-1503767143_thumb.jpeg

A mixture of Peco and 2mm Association plastic kits. I've also got some etched 2mm scale chassis to upgrade the chassis of some very old Farish LNER vans and the Peco plate wagon (which is surprisingly close to the late 30s LNER one but the Peco chassis is nothing like the type it should have!).

The first up in the build queue is an 2mm Association LNER six plank wagon. As this was going to be an unfitted example (I've got six to build it total), I decided to modify a Peco 9' wheelbase chassis kit as it is pretty close to the type that the unfitted wagons were built on.

post-943-0-29734900-1503767157_thumb.jpeg

Then there are two PO wagons, the front one is the Peco 9' wheelbase kit and the other is the 2mm scale version of the same wagon. Again, I've fitted a Peco chassis kit under the 2mm body and, not surprisingly, the chassis is fractionally longer than the body. As I'm just about out of Peco 9' chassis kits (the 10' kit is just awful compared to modern N gauge standards!), I'll likely be looking at getting hold of some more 2mm etched kits to build and convert to N gauge running.

post-943-0-66041100-1503767181_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Things have moved forward more quickly than I thought on the wagon front...

post-943-0-39215100-1503868855_thumb.jpg

All but two of the bodies have been assembled. The two that haven't are due to some parts on being present on the spur so I need to see if I can obtained replacements.

While I was on holiday in North Yorkshire last week, I visited the Pickering exhibition and took Yorkshire and 2425 with me. The team behind the North of England Line (NoEL) we're kind enough to allow me to run the locos and to use the layout as a backdrop for a couple of photographs taken by Tony Wright. I am very grateful to the NoEL team for their kindness and to Tony for both taking the wonderful pictures below and allowing me to share them.

post-943-0-69203000-1503869135_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-18092100-1503869160_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

A bit of pottering for an hour or so at a time produced this over the last three days...

post-943-0-52961300-1503999103_thumb.jpg

A 2mm Scale Association replacement chassis for the Peco offering to get something that resembles and LNER plate wagon.

Also, while I've not touched this for a few weeks, it has not been shown here before.

post-943-0-63525900-1503999114_thumb.jpg

The second of my GNR brake vans which is being turned into a representation of a six wheel brake using 2mm Association 'W' irons and a spare sole bar etch. I say representation as, while the overall dimensions are about right, all the prototype pictures I've seen show the six wheel vans with horizontal planking not vertical. Still, I think it'll look the part once finished and provide something a little different from the four wheel one I've already built.

• Like 2

A couple of hours between other things saw this assembled this afternoon.

post-943-0-91506100-1504022519_thumb.jpg

A 2mm etched chassis to replace the rather generic one under one of the ancient Farish LNER vans I've been collecting.

post-943-0-59404700-1504022635_thumb.jpg

For its age, the body moulding isn't too bad at all although I'm toying with the idea of replacing the roof with an etched one.

Finally a comparison between the newest Farish LNER van, the body/etched chassis and an old original Farish LNER van on its original chassis.

post-943-0-42381200-1504022743_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all,

Just a quick update about the growing collection of etched chassis on my bench. The total is now four and I've gone a little further on the 10' wheelbase versions by adding the brake pull rods underneath the chassis. You probably can't see them but they're not too difficult to do and really strengthen up the brake blocks so they'll pretty much withstand any knocks.

I've also chemically blackened them using Carr's blackener for nickel silver (which also works on brass!).

post-943-0-09735900-1504438512_thumb.jpg

I really should add some footsteps to the horse box chassis....

• Like 7

Looking good - the 2mm chassis massively improves the plate wagon!

Thanks Simon,

The plate wagon chassis is probably the most fiddly one to assemble because of all the support brackets but I think it is well worth the effort to get the correct chassis under the wagon.

Another locomotive almost ready to enter service today. I just need to sort out why the body is sitting a little high and then hopefully it is off to a new home tomorrow (actually I want to keep it!). I hope that it's new owner likes it...

post-943-0-14938200-1504894125.jpg

Sorry about the poor lighting conditions but it is tipping it down over here!

• Like 7

Something very different from my usual LNER themed stuff!

post-943-0-06739900-1505202879_thumb.jpg

Above is the CAD work for a Pennsylvanian Railroad E6 Atlantic locomotive body that I've produced from some good friends from Holland, Marc and Hans Starman. There is actually a physical model now but I've left my iPad at home while I'm house sitting for my parents so will have to update tonight or tomorrow when I've had a chance to retrieve it! Marc and Hans received the model last weekend and seem very happy with it - I know that Hans, being a wizard at building N gauge chassis, has something very special planned for this and hopefully they'll let me share their progress here in the future.

A bit of a quick and dirty modification of one of my earlier designs the K3 with thanks to Graeme King for sharing his notes on this subject with me a little while back.

post-943-0-26921500-1505481575_thumb.jpg

Now adapted to represent a K3/1 with GNR cab in around mid 1930's condition. Besides the GNR cab, I've also converted the K3 to right hand drive but have yet to discover if the boiler fittings had been replaced with 'standard' K3 ones by this point. I've retained the cut outs on the bufferbeam every picture I've seen of the original ten K3s in the Thirties have this feature. The loco will end up being paired with an LNER flared tender as they all appear to have lost their GNR ones by this point. All had been rebuilt with side window cabs by nationalisation.

Something to add to my list of things to print once the final part to service my printer finally arrives!

Edited by Atso
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress on a long term project, Humorist c. 1938 completely repainted from a Dapol BR green Gladiateur model. On the final straight now. The locomotive is a mix of transfers and hand lining and the buffer beams and buffer stocks are yet to be tackled.

post-943-0-52107300-1506535132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atso
  • Like 4

The V1 body arrived from Shapeways today (shame I forgot to add the snifting valve to the CAD!). This was printed in Frosted Extreme Detail and, as a first time user of this material, I have to say I'm impressed with the raw print. It is currently drying after being given a wash and scrub to remove any residue but I snapped a picture of it perched on the N class donor chassis before that.

post-943-0-97279700-1507058910_thumb.jpg

It'll go into primer and get a snifting valve tomorrow...

• Like 4

Thanks Manna! :)

It has had a light spraying of light grey using my airbrush this morning.

post-943-0-92730300-1507107620_thumb.jpg

You can see I also ordered an N2 which is modified from my original CAD to (more or less) fit the N class chassis - I managed to destroy the valve gear on this one while trying to make a K2 so had it spare!

I've done no cleaning up to the prints yet other than washing away the residual wax from the printing process. Both chassis have had some filing done to get the bodies down to the, more or less, correct ride height (more in the case of the N2 than the V1).

• Like 5

Some extremely cruel close ups of the V1 and N2 now I've had a chance to fettle the prints a little.

post-943-0-05925000-1507223890_thumb.jpg

post-943-0-02565400-1507223907_thumb.jpg

Other than adding the snifting valve to the V1 and doing a little repair to the N2's buffer beam, these are just about ready to proceed to the detailing and painting stages.

• Like 6

What are you using for the rear pony truck on the V1?

Hi Simon,

It is a custom designed piece printed in strong white and flexible for both locomotives with the various holes opened to clearance using a drill bit. The N2 has piece pickups fitted via this piece to make up for the traction tyre on the N class chassis - I've not gotten around to doing the V1 yet.

After waiting forever for some parts for my own 3D printer, I finally got to do a test print last night...

A cruel close up after giving it a waft of matt black and then removing the supports revealing the awful yellow colour of the raw print.

post-943-0-96482000-1507304906_thumb.jpg

That was around 11:30 this morning.

Some rubbing down, another wash and scrub, some drying time and spraying with some proper primer saw this as the state of play a little while ago.

post-943-0-80789700-1507304990_thumb.jpg

The chassis is from a Farish N class with the tops of the cylinders lowered a little to get the correct ride height - without removing them as, from experience, the N class valve gear doesn't like being removed from the chassis once attached! The tender has been robbed from a J39 for the photograph and is not the tender the K3 will end up being paired with - although it is the correct type...

I've also done some repairs to the N2's bufferbeam and running plate on the rear corner as it had become chipped but no photo of this I'm afraid.

• Like 5