Atso's occasional workbench

Atso

12 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

That's some lovely stuff you've posted recently Steve with a really good build quality. I have to remind myself it's 2mm!  :good_mini:

Thanks Dave, that means a lot coming from such a great modeller! :)

One that dropped on the doormat yesterday with a request to be built for a fellow N gauge modeller.

1093257145_20190704_104812(2).jpg.c56acad9b3e7fd3684fc4c4fa2aacd91.jpg

The 2mm Association kit for a Prestwin. Two of these need to be build and, having been looking a pictures of the prototype, I'm left wondering what I've let myself in for! :lol:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Atso said:

Thanks Dave, that means a lot coming from such a great modeller! :)

One that dropped on the doormat yesterday with a request to be built for a fellow N gauge modeller.

1093257145_20190704_104812(2).jpg.c56acad9b3e7fd3684fc4c4fa2aacd91.jpg

The 2mm Association kit for a Prestwin. Two of these need to be build and, having been looking a pictures of the prototype, I'm left wondering what I've let myself in for! :lol:

You'll be fine with these Steve, I believe they are Stephen Harris kits. Complex and highly detailed but very well thought out with everything fitting as it should. Ive not built the Prestwin but have done a number of his other kits and they are all excellent.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, queensquare said:

You'll be fine with these Steve, I believe they are Stephen Harris kits. Complex and highly detailed but very well thought out with everything fitting as it should. Ive not built the Prestwin but have done a number of his other kits and they are all excellent.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, that is a bit of a confidence boost. Where are all these "shake the box" kits I hear people talking about? :lol:

I managed to get a couple of hours in on the Prestwin this afternoon - with much reading and re-reading of the instructions (for a change!).

This is where I've gotten to. The tanks are temporarily placed onto the chassis for effect.

20190704_190428.jpg.9ec19707b54b1af05d77d6256c0516ae.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, timbowilts said:

Some of us more so than others 

Tim T

Modelling South Wales branches in EM

I assume you're referring to my hammer and nails style of modelling!  :lol::lol::lol:

• Funny 2

15 hours ago, Atso said:

I assume you're referring to my hammer and nails style of modelling!  :lol::lol::lol:

Not quite as basic as my children's plastic safety scissors and gum modelling technique. I'm even nervous just to pick up a soldering iron.i 

G

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, grahame said:

Not quite as basic as my children's plastic safety scissors and gum modelling technique. I'm even nervous just to pick up a soldering iron.i 

G

I'll tell you what Grahame, I'll give you a lesson on soldering etched kits if you give me a lesson on how you build those exquisite buildings.

The Prestwin has progressed a bit further today. Unfortunately, I had to spend an hour unpicking some silly mistakes but it is experience I'll remember for the next build.

20190705_134552.jpg.1409d4b6fa2a7303a40b1c46afe4b168.jpg

The basic chassis sub-assembly.

20190705_134640.jpg.ad40888301e0e5b57035373ae6c197f6.jpg

The underside, showing the brake gubbins.

20190705_170605.jpg.efe5a8917e4b02e2395a00fea0e97749.jpg

20190705_170623.jpg.8aa28b4eb746e4661fdbe41f08f26556.jpg

The final two photographs showing the resin tanks epoxied to the chassis and the platform add.

Next up is the pipework (I'm not looking forward to this bit!).

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2019 at 12:01, Atso said:

Where are all these "shake the box" kits I hear people talking about? :lol:

I would refer you to most Peco wagon kits :rolleyes: 

Great work on the Presstwin.

1 hour ago, grahame said:

It looks very neat and professional. And you're whizzing through building it.

G.

20 minutes ago, Kris said:

I would refer you to most Peco wagon kits :rolleyes: 

Great work on the Presstwin.

Thank you both.

Kris, I guess it depends if you're going to put an etched chassis under the Peco kit or not... ;)

2 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

Getting the nuts on those plastic bosses under a PECO body is awful. Much easier to use glue. 

Glue??? Soldering iron!!!! :lol:

2 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

That's a lot of tidy work on that wagon. 

Thank you very much.

The two "large" valves for the Prestwin have been assembled. The first one took an absolute age as I tried to get my head around its construction. After that, the second one went together very quickly.

20190706_113513.jpg.26aef0c9265f7c49a9ead4f431ecffcc.jpg

Edited by Atso
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I've done some more on the Prestwin this morning.

20190707_121800.jpg.10bcea1d1f64b2263b9fadf20553503b.jpg

I've still got some small details to add but these will wait until the buffers I've ordered from the 2mm Association arrive.  I think I'll see what I can do to close up the slight (but annoying) gap in the laminates that make up the top platform though.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In between the Prestwin and tender lining projects, I've been building a couple of other wagons.

20190709_112720.jpg.c1e78b6252db1524e00be3a26ee039bb.jpg

Above is another ex-GN brake van body etch from BH Enterprises. The van is designed to fit onto a slightly modified Peco brake van chassis. As the moulding for this isn't too bad (and their isn't an equivalent kit in the 2mm range), this is what this body will end up with. A very nice, if somewhat basic kit.

20190710_110445.jpg.04c3366be591e3c67fe1b20442f5adf6.jpg

A GWR Mink C, which was a bit of an impulse buy. I did briefly considered trying to convert it into an LNER grain wagon, but in the end decided to build it as is. It's an N Gauge Society body with a 2mm Association chassis. Getting to this point was amazingly quick, with about an hour and fifteen minutes expended. I'll need to find some suitable buffer heads, etc to finish it off.

I've been waiting for the buffers for the Prestwin to arrive, which happened yesterday. I've added the coupling hooks and vac pipes with solder but attached the buffers with epoxy, as I wanted to ensure that they were straight and level. I've still got to add some handrails to the ladder, but I'm presently deciding how I'd like to do this.

20190709_163030.jpg.ce3e76866e0c115b4287aa7df4cdc566.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Atso said:

I've still got to add some handrails to the ladder, but I'm presently deciding how I'd like to do this.

Hi

I used 0.254mm (33swg) diameter nickel silver wire, soldered to the ladders and platform. From memory there are holes in the side of the platform to allow for this.

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Steve. Is the GN van an 8 wheeler?

Also do you know when then the last of the Minks C  lost their shutters for twin vents? I've a nasty feeling this happened before BR days so the one I built recently will have to hide mid-train! 4 shoe underframes are so much quicker to build than clasp brake ones aren't they!

Simon