Atso's occasional workbench

Atso

Due to the wonders of quick drying acrylic paint, all three locomotives have been through the initial painting stage. Sorry about the poor quality photograph but the light is gone for tonight (and the gloss finish doesn't help).

post-943-0-06028700-1507314459_thumb.jpg

Next up lining, but not for a day or two now.

• Like 1

Due to the wonders of quick drying acrylic paint, all three locomotives have been through the initial painting stage. Sorry about the poor quality photograph but the light is gone for tonight (and the gloss finish doesn't help).

attachicon.gifK3 N2 and V1 initial painting.JPG

Next up lining, but not for a day or two now.

Henry Ford would approve

• 3 weeks later...

All has been quiet for a week or so while I've been doing some bits and pieces for other people. However, I've hit a bit of a wall with one project so have turned my attention once again to a Dapol A3. 

post-943-0-27903900-1509039274_thumb.jpg

This one was purchased a few weeks back as a NQP model at the Dapol open day. The locomotive had issues with its valve gear and drive shaft which proved relatively easy (although time consuming) to put right. The loco, originally 'Grand Parade' has been stripped of its identity and had various fittings transplanted from the left hand side to create a representation of a right hand drive locomotive to go another with my model of 'Enterprise'. At present, I'm thinking of making this one into 'Harvester'...

I got hold of another 'Grand Parade' at the same time as this one which I'm thinking of back working into A1 condition as 'Isinglass' which will ultimately give me two A1s (once I've finished Scotsman).

I really need to turn my attention back to the V1 locomotive....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not much to report I'm afraid in terms of actual modelling. I've been having a bit of a down phase again but I am slowly picking myself up again. This has been incredibly frustrating as I thought I was over these kind of things a year or so ago!

Anyway, having found out that the N Gauge Society has been having a clearance sale, I thought it would be rude not to have a look! As a result I picked up sixteen Ultima Gresley Conversion sides for the grand total of £16.40 plus £4 P&P! I would have loved to have gotten my hands on some catering vehicles (not buffet cars though) and some full brakes but, alas, there were none available and I can't complain as I've really bagged a bargain with these!

post-943-0-31680000-1512573403_thumb.jpg

These will probably sit in the gloat box for a little while yet as I've got some other projects and commissions to finish first - never say never though as they might make an interesting diversion from time to time!

• Like 3

G'Day Folks

All I can say is, You lucky so and so, I can laugh, where's the roofs.

manna

Thanks Manna,

These etches are intended as sides for conversion of the Minitrix and Dapol Gresleys. I've got a couple that are damaged that will do nicely for this but not sixteen!  :O I think that I might have to design up some bits to help build the rest...

I'll check in my box I might have a buffet...

Thanks Simon, if you find a Restaurant First or Third then you could make me a very happy bunny!  :sungum:

I placed my largest ever order with Shapeways yesterday and will hopefully get some more prints before Christmas! I've got a replacement V1 on the way which will correct some silly errors I made in the original attempt as well as the following:

post-943-0-24606600-1512731459_thumb.jpg

An A5/2 which will likely become 5007 as I have some photographs of this locomotive working services out of Kings Cross. I've not designed it around an existing chassis but I hope that an old Arnold 4-6-4 can be adapted and rewheeled to fit it as the wheelbase is spot on (and I've got some driving wheels from a Fleischmann class 39 that are close enough in diameter). A long term project, and I can upload this to my Shapeways shop if anyone is interested in having a good and willing to work out their own chassis for it!

post-943-0-17709300-1512731665_thumb.jpg

The hopper bunkered V3 version of the original V1 CAD.

post-943-0-77176200-1512731708_thumb.jpg

A Stanier 2P (Stanier had nothing to do with the design!) to fit the Dapol M7 chassis and very much a test print to see if I've managed to plot the mounting points correctly. I've always had a soft spot for these locomotives and one will most certainly be making its way onto my layout hauling the North London Railway service to Potters Bar. Note: I have no evidence that they ever did (almost always hauled by a Jinty) but I really like the class so rule one will apply!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Simon, if you find a Restaurant First or Third then you could make me a very happy bunny!  :sungum:

I placed my largest ever order with Shapeways yesterday and will hopefully get some more prints before Christmas! I've got a replacement V1 on the way which will correct some silly errors I made in the original attempt as well as the following:

attachicon.gifLNER A5-2.jpg

An A5/2 which will likely become 5007 as I have some photographs of this locomotive working services out of Kings Cross. I've not designed it around an existing chassis but I hope that an old Arnold 4-6-4 can be adapted and rewheeled to fit it as the wheelbase is spot on (and I've got some driving wheels from a Fleischmann class 39 that are close enough in diameter). A long term project, and I can upload this to my Shapeways shop if anyone is interested in having a good and willing to work out their own chassis for it!

attachicon.gifLNER V3.jpg

The hopper bunkered V3 version of the original V1 CAD.

attachicon.gifStanier 2P Assembly.jpg

A Stanier 2P (Stanier had nothing to do with the design!) to fit the Dapol M7 chassis and very much a test print to see if I've managed to plot the mounting points correctly. I've always had a soft spot for these locomotives and one will most certainly be making its way onto my layout hauling the North London Railway service to Potters Bar. Note: I have no evidence that they ever did (almost always hauled by a Jinty) but I really like the class so rule one will apply!

Please let me know when that one is available on Shapeways. Great choice!

So after a lengthy period of no actively, I thought I should really get on with some of my list of things to CAD. The result of today's efforts:

post-943-0-61656800-1512759334_thumb.jpg

An LNER 12' wheelbase Fish Van body, albeit with the solebars still to detail. To be fair, I can't get on with detailing these until I've checked clearances for the 'W' irons, bearings and wheels so it'll be a little while yet before this one is finished...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Joseph. Which one were you looking at specifically?

Sorry, I should have only quoted part of your post. It's the Stanier 2P that I want.

I like all your others as well but I am trying to stick to what I "need" for the layout project.

Yesterday was fun having taken over three and a half hours to commute 8 miles in the snow!

Anyway having finally arrived, I decided that I wasn't going to go anywhere else for a while and sat down and designed another fish van (drawings kindly donated by a fellow modeller).

post-943-0-07250700-1512983456_thumb.jpg

Above is an LNER Dia. 23 fish van. This was the earliest of the LNER 'standard vans' built from 1924 and seem to have lasted quite a long time (albeit not in fish van traffic by Nationalisation). I've wanted to do this one for some time now but the lack of drawings have held me up until now. As with the Dia. 134 van previously shown, I've still got to detail the solebars on this one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another van body was designed today:

attachicon.gifMystery Van.jpg

It's not an LNER van, so what is it?

Not one that I am familiar with but it has a Midland look.

Edit to add: What sort of chassis/underframe are these designed for?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Not one that I am familiar with but it has a Midland look.

Edit to add: What sort of chassis/underframe are these designed for?

Hi Joseph,

The plan is to etch a basic chassis and fit with Parkside/Markits wheels and bearings. Springs and axleboxes will be 3D printed eventually.

Having moved the printer down from the shed into the garage, it finally got set up again today.

A warts and all (and poor quality, sorry) picture of the initial print of the Dia 23 fish van. I need to do some tweaking to the support structure and orientation of the print as I think I can do better than this initial test print.

post-943-0-58851300-1513018026_thumb.jpg

The upper section where the roof will go looks ragged as I just pulled the supports off the model and didn't bother to carefully trim them (it was only a test print after all!).

• Like 4

Thanks to the ever helpful people at Dapol managing to source and supply some spare valve gear, my Flying Scotsman project is back underway.

post-943-0-06901900-1513266559_thumb.jpg

Still plenty to do in terms of patch painting and lining but nice to have this loco running again. This locomotive came to me as a damaged, non-running, Papyrus and was really in a poor state. A spare A3 4472 cab has been substituted (I was lazy in not renumbering and had the cab to hand) along with a corridor tender that has been de-streamlined and re-lettered. Other work done includes moving various gubbings from the left hand side to the right and carefully filling off the superheater header covers. It's supposed to represent the locomotive in early 1930's condition and therefore the cab isn't correct but I can live with this (and some other minor points).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've found D241/267 restaurant 3rd sides in the stash - I'll bring them to AP if you still want them

• 4 weeks later...

Some modelling has been going on recently around other bits and pieces...

post-943-0-02891300-1516182710_thumb.jpg

Above are some Peco 9' wheelbase PO wagons that I got for Christmas and three NGS Midland outside framed goods vans. I'm very happy to have finally managed to get hold of the vans as they've been out of stock for quite some time and, having found the NGS stand at Stevenage had some, I snapped these up without any hesitation at all. All seven wagons got nailed together on Sunday afternoon.

I also received some FiNetrax flexible track and B8 turnout kit for Christmas. I assembled the plain track a couple of weeks ago while watching a film but have put off building the turnout. However, yesterday I decided that it wasn't going to build itself and put it together over the course of the afternoon.

post-943-0-96308700-1516182954_thumb.jpeg

I'm really very happy with how this has turned out and it is the first hurdle overcome in my aim to build a model of Hadley Wood in N gauge. I could've gone to 2mm finescale for the better track appearance but some calculations to work out the cost for rewheeling all my existing locomotives and stock made this a non starter. I'd love to do something in finescale at some point but for the moment, the FiNetrax system is a good compromise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Steve, thanks for sharing the progress on wagon kits, those outside frame vans are distinctive and will look great in a suitable mixed freight. Good to see you are another convert to finetrax, Fairford my next project will be done with Finetrax, i have build flexi track and biding my time on points, admire what you have do so speedily. Be good to see the point in the flesh next week when you pop over to cotswolds.

Yep, fiNetraX track and points do elevate N gauge to a finer quality level. What you've achieved looks great.

The plain track is easy enough to assemble but, like others, I've fought shy of the points despite having soldered up crossing vees with gauges for N gauge using the early 2mm Easitrack and partially assembling some fiNetraX kits. For me it's the filing the blades, making up the tie bar and motorising that is a stumbling block . . .

Perhaps another look and attempt, eh?

G.