Hull Model Railway Show November 11th & 12th

peterl

Thanks for the kind comments. Was rather warm under the bomber but we all seem to have survived. Don't forget that we close at 4.30pm tomorrow (Sunday). Means if things go well I may get away from the venue by 7.30pm.

Peter 

• RMweb Premium

A very enjoyable show; a high standard of layouts on display; and good to have a chat with lots of people some known others previously unknown and some known on these pages and others not.

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed demoing on the DEMU stand today. Having been to the Spalding show yesterday and Hull today I have been lucky to go to two high standard exhibitions. The biggest contrast was the attendance,  Spalding was very busy, but sadly Hull today was not crowded. All I hope over the two days the show has made enough money to cover its cost (I don't need a reply be it yes or no as it is none of my business or others on this forum).Thanks to the Hull club for an excellent day.

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed demoing on the DEMU stand today. Having been to the Spalding show yesterday and Hull today I have been lucky to go to two high standard exhibitions. The biggest contrast was the attendance,  Spalding was very busy, but sadly Hull today was not crowded. All I hope over the two days the show has made enough money to cover its cost (I don't need a reply be it yes or no as it is none of my business or others on this forum).Thanks to the Hull club for an excellent day.

Oh poo. I missed meeting u as I went on Saturday.

Duck.

• Like 1

Well,

That's that one. The wrap up 's done, OK the tea bar/canteen at the club looks like a disaster zone, chocked full of gear, but sorting that's the next Club night's task!!.

On behalf of the Society, a big thank you to all who attended, as visitors, as exhibitors and as traders. The kind comments on here are very much appreciated. As a whole, we're very pleased that the show met with such approval. We certainly enjoyed it and hope everyone else did too..

As Suddaby mentions, it was our last show at Costello - However, rest assured, we will be back next year, with 2 shows, 

at our new Venue, details for your Diary below:-

Hull MRS Summer show 2018,  June 16th,

And,  the Hull MRS Exhibition, 10th & 11th November 2018

Both at -: 

Walton Street Leisure Centre,  Goathland Close, Off Walton St., Hull HU3 6JB

Watch this space, we will keep you posted !!

Ken Gibbons

Hon Chairman Hull MRS

• Like 5

As Ken said thanks to all those that attended and for the kind comments. As a member of the 'Bomber' crew AKA Crumley and Little Wickhill we were very surprised to win both the trophies  for best in Show from our fellow exhibitors and the visitors. So thanks to you all. The Bomber only has one more Show, at York, before it goes - we know not where- Hopefully we will see you there.

Details of the 2018 Hull Shows will appear on the Hullmrs website in due course.

Peter

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That is a pity because you would have seen some of my bish, bosh , bash EMU conversions.

Then gone home saying "I can do better than that."

Better, I don't think so dear boy. However, you would have discovered that I really am a duck and that would be quite scarey :scared:  :triniti: Maybe next year at Spaldinky?

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

On behalf on my team of operators with my layout Meopham East Junction, I wish to thank all at the Hull show for a wonderful weekend, with a special thanks to those who were responsible for the food. A complete surprise to me was winning a  trophy for the best "modern image layout. My team thought it was for their efforts but no.

This show was a time for me to meet again several people I not seen in many a moon, even though I was struggling to put names to faces. Strange to relate I also met two persons who were Meopham born and now living in Hull.

• Like 1

What a superb show.

I apologise for the lack of trains on Humber Dock on Saturday. It was due to an intermittent electrical problem which quickly became terminal. It worked fine at home but I suspect a poor joint was made worse by the vibration of the van. Humber Dock was showing its age.

Roy Jackson's "it would have worked if it was EM" was funny but unhelpful!

It was resolved on Sunday by fitting extra feeds but in the end was not really that important because most viewers were much more interested in looking at the buildings and talking about their reminiscences of the area. I even met one chap whose first wife was in my Eastfield Road Junior School class. I wonder how many others remember Miss Sharp? (Sharp by name and by nature.)

Anyway that was Humber Dock's swan song. Glaucoma is preventing any more fine scale modelling and maintaining models is now beyond me, so it's "so long and thanks for all the fish!"

I leave you with a memory of nightfall on Humber Dock

post-4908-0-81778500-1510783187_thumb.jpg

And yes, Humber water really is golden brown!

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke

What a superb show.

I apologise for the lack of trains on Humber Dock on Saturday. It was due to an intermittent electrical problem which quickly became terminal. It worked fine at home but I suspect a poor joint was made worse by the vibration of the van. Humber Dock was showing its age.

It was resolved on Sunday by fitting extra feeds but in the end was not really that important because most viewers were much more interested in looking at the buildings and talking about their reminiscences of the area. I even met one chap whose first wife was in my Eastfield Road Junior School class. I wonder how many others remember Miss Sharp? (Sharp by name and by nature.)

Anyway that was Humber Dock's swan song. Glaucoma is preventing any more fine scale modelling and maintaining models is now beyond me, so its "so long and thanks for all the fish!"

Ian

Hi Ian,

It was nice to see your layout at Hull at the weekend, you seemed to be very busy talking each time I came by, so didn't interrupt.

However one thing I did overhear, was one of the locals trying to tell you about "Dead Bod", a bit of a local legend. You did look at him rather cluelessly (somewhat understandably), and I wonder if he actually managed to let you know just what "Dead Bod" is all about.

So that you are in the dark no longer, please see the attached link, which explains!!

https://inspiringcity.com/2017/09/04/the-curious-tale-of-dead-bod-the-hull-graffiti-from-the-60s-which-is-now-a-symbol-of-the-city-itself/

Search via google and other info is available.

All the best,

Kevin.

Hi Ian,

It was nice to see your layout at Hull at the weekend, you seemed to be very busy talking each time I came by, so didn't interrupt.

However one thing I did overhear, was one of the locals trying to tell you about "Dead Bod", a bit of a local legend. You did look at him rather cluelessly (somewhat understandably), and I wonder if he actually managed to let you know just what "Dead Bod" is all about.

So that you are in the dark no longer, please see the attached link, which explains!!

https://inspiringcity.com/2017/09/04/the-curious-tale-of-dead-bod-the-hull-graffiti-from-the-60s-which-is-now-a-symbol-of-the-city-itself/

All the best,

Kevin.

Thanks, Kevin. Yes I was clueless, having effectively left Hull when I went to University in 1965.

What a lovely story!

Ian

• Like 2

What a superb show.

Anyway that was Humber Dock's swan song. Glaucoma is preventing any more fine scale modelling and maintaining models is now beyond me, so it's "so long and thanks for all the fish!"

I leave you with a memory of nightfall on Humber Dock

attachicon.gifhumber-dock-dusk.jpg

And yes, Humber water really is golden brown!

Ian

Ian,

What a great photo with which to sign Humber Dock off from exhibitions.

It has been my great pleasure to see this layout a few times and even to operate it once, a few years ago at Leatherhead. Being born and brought up in Hull, then your layout has always had a very special resonance, for it captures the essence of Hull's town docks so very well. Though the docks still exist, they are now a leisure amenity so they no longer exude the sights, sounds and smells of working docks as they did in the days of our youth.

Standing by your layout, one can almost smell the salt water, hear the cry of the gulls and be transported back to those days.

I do hope that the layout will continue to inspire those who see it to just stand and remember.

Very best regards

Mike

• Like 1

Had a very enjoyable visit to the HMRS Show last Sunday; a good range of layouts and good trade support - I spent far too much on Cambrian and Parkside kits from Caistor Loco and picked up numerous detailing bits and pieces from Wizard too!

The only negative comment for me would be the slight cheek of having a completely unfinished 'layout' on display - there was an O Gauge BR Blue Diesels setup at the far end of the hall with nothing but track on bare baseboards and a half finished train shed for a station at the far end. If a layout is not going to be in a decent state of completion then surely the respectable thing to do would be to withdraw from the show and pledge to come back next year? It just looked like an opportunity to rig up a 15ft run of track for in the commodious environment of a sports hall and play trains with RTR O-Gauge diesels and coaches...

Anyway, some images:

Axmouth

post-18813-0-02391300-1511004674_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-88655000-1511004716_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-13886600-1511004780_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-39070000-1511004814_thumb.jpg

Ladycross

post-18813-0-56335100-1511004843_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-43578000-1511004885_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-99685100-1511004912_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-93656400-1511004954_thumb.jpg

Black Lion Crossing

post-18813-0-44017200-1511005013_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-20235800-1511005047_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-72480700-1511005099_thumb.jpg

Gratuitous shot of Geoff Kent's scratch-build stock in the fiddle yard. A Gresley artic pair:

post-18813-0-57535700-1511005198_thumb.jpg

Graded coal!

post-18813-0-31345900-1511005266_thumb.jpg

A LNER open third built to an NER design:

post-18813-0-06423900-1511005240_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-95680600-1511005153_thumb.jpg

Humber Dock Street

post-18813-0-34502400-1511005301_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-87849200-1511005331_thumb.jpg

Rumbling Bridge

post-18813-0-04024100-1511005366_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-56344300-1511005394_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-76391500-1511005422_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to next year, but will miss Costello - it's a 10 minute walk from my house!

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

Hi Ian,

All the best,

Kevin.

It was a real treat to see this layout at what is its last public appearance. I can't figure how this one had slipped me by, both in the flesh and on here, it is a true masterpiece, transcending the boundaries of modelling and art.

The only negative comment for me would be the slight cheek of having a completely unfinished 'layout' on display - there was an O Gauge BR Blue Diesels setup at the far end of the hall with nothing but track on bare baseboards and a half finished train shed for a station at the far end. If a layout is not going to be in a decent state of completion then surely the respectable thing to do would be to withdraw from the show and pledge to come back next year? It just looked like an opportunity to rig up a 15ft run of track for in the commodious environment of a sports hall and play trains with RTR O-Gauge diesels and coaches.....

Cheers,

CoY

Awesome!

Thanks for your words of encouragement but unfortunately, it is apparent that you haven't a clue why the Hessle MRG were exhibiting their work in progress.....

You will be aware that this year, Hull is celebrating being City of Culture and the Hull MRS wanted to reflect this by inviting locally themed layouts and/or local clubs to show their support for the City of Culture. Invermire belongs to the Hessle MRG and was invited as a work in progress and as such, at the time of the invite, was never going to be a finished layout this time round. Despite your negativity, we were happy to support the cause. If you had perhaps looked closer, you would have seen that all the track/signals/buildings were completely scratch built and this is not something that has been thrown together over night. If you actually took the time to take in the "half finished trainshed" you would see it is a scratchbuilt version of Wick/Thurso!!!

As for the "RTR" stock, not one of the items of rolling stock is fresh out the box infact 95% is extremely heavily adapted. I note your observations neglected to say that some of that stock was very obviously not "RTR" as it too was in a part finished state having been kit built!!!!! I would direct you to the clubs Invermire thread here on RMweb as well as my own FB thread where you will see the standard of work that is going into this layout. Once you've had a look, you'll be in posession of the full facts before ripping our efforts apart again.

Next time the layout is out at a show it will be much further on - please do come and introduce yourself and I'll be glad to show you how wrong you are......

Edited by The Penguin 0f Doom
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Awesome!

Thanks for your words of encouragement but unfortunately, it is apparent that you haven't a clue why the Hessle MRG were exhibiting their work in progress.....

You will be aware that this year, Hull is celebrating being City of Culture and the Hull MRS wanted to reflect this by inviting locally themed layouts and/or local clubs to show their support for the City of Culture. Invermire belongs to the Hessle MRG and was invited as a work in progress and as such, at the time of the invite, was never going to be a finished layout this time round. Despite your negativity, we were happy to support the cause. If you had perhaps looked closer, you would have seen that all the track/signals/buildings were completely scratch built and this is not something that has been thrown together over night. If you actually took the time to take in the "half finished trainshed" you would see it is a scratchbuilt version of Wick/Thurso!!!

As for the "RTR" stock, not one of the items of rolling stock is fresh out the box infact 95% is extremely heavily adapted. I note your observations neglected to say that some of that stock was very obviously not "RTR" as it too was in a part finished state having been kit built!!!!! I would direct you to the clubs Invermire thread here on RMweb as well as my own FB thread where you will see the standard of work that is going into this layout. Once you've had a look, you'll be in posession of the full facts before ripping our efforts apart again.

Next time the layout is out at a show it will be much further on - please do come and introduce yourself and I'll be glad to show you how wrong you are......

Great response..............

P

• Like 3

As another member of the Invermire group and whilst respecting your opinion of part finished layouts appearing at exhibitions I hope Sean's reply has clarified some of the inaccuracies in your post. We received many favourable comments on the layout, in fact one chap was so impressed he's joined us! Oh and by the way we weren't just playing trains but we're running to a schedule designed to reflect the type of operations carried out in the Wick/Thurso area. If you'd like to come to one of our club nights (Wednesday 7 to 10 pm at Hessle Town Hall) we'd be pleased to describe the work done in even further detail. We'll even give you a cuppa!

• Like 5

Oh aye, and while I'm on, since you missed out on posting any pictures of our layout, here's one of the "half finished trainshed" you mentioned.....

Not a bad picture*, despite featuring one of those horrible EE Type 3s which ousted my beloved B1s from Dairycoates' top link passenger duties. Apparently some otherwise sensible modellers such as Chris Pendlenton liked them. 

* Non-Yorkshiremen should note that is the highest praise ever known to have escaped grudgingly from a Yorkshireman's lips.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do hope this ends the rather soured comment about the 'unfinished' layout. This exhibition and all others as far as I'm aware, show what railway modelling is all about. Layouts have to be begun and developed and maybe, if you are lucky, finished. This layout demonstrates what happens before the shop front is complete. It could inspire folk like me to get a grip and get some 7mm stuff and have some fun. " I could do that" is possibly something someone might say after looking at this particular set up. It will inspire some, be a pleasure to many and as we see does not suit at least one person. So what? Well, having shown some very nice pics unseen elsewhere why not just say it will be good to come back next year and see what progress has been made and admire what a friendly Club can achieve.

Phil (nothing to do with any of the Clubs in Hull, Hessle or Yorkshire for that matter).

Edited by Mallard60022