Kernow OO gauge YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon

Paul.Uni

YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon

We are pleased to announce we have been working on the YCV Turbot wagon for some time and are about to commence production of these models.  There will be eight models in the initial release, four in Dutch livery and four in EWS livery.

Prototype History

BR found itself with a large fleet of young but under-used Bogie Bolster E wagons in the 1970s, 1200 of the type having been built in 1961 and 1962 but proving too short to be useful for steel traffic. As the engineers fleet at the time was varied and elderly, it was decided to rebuild some of these Bogie Bolsters as ballast wagons.

A low-sided body was constructed, the sides being fabricated with three drop-side doors. The fixed ends had an angled plate fitted on top to prevent loads from spilling on to the draw-gear. Livery was civil engineers grey, with the top third of the sides in yellow. The type was coded YCV and titled Turbot, continuing the tradition of naming engineers wagons after fish.

The number series allocated for these wagons was from DB978000 and very nearly 1000 were eventually converted, using the majority of the source wagon fleet. Wagons up to DB978746 were converted at Shildon. When this closed in 1984, the work was transferred to Swindon, who built up to DB978921 over the next two years. There was then a gap until the programme was recommenced at Doncaster works (later RFS). Their first wagon was DB978922 in February 1988, and the last (DB978991) in June.

Although designated as ballast wagons, the type was able to carry other loads due to the fitting of doors. In fact the bodies were susceptible to damage from grab-loaders used on ballast circuits and later types (such as the Clam) were to a more sturdy design.

Turbots could be seen either singly or in rakes in most parts of the country throughout the 1980s.  By the 1990s, the vehicle's age and the availability of more modern replacements triggered the start of withdrawals. Several Turbots were repainted in EWS maroon in connection with a job to transport sea defence boulders in Somerset.

Their vacuum brakes and relatively fragile drop-side doors saw the type displaced by more modern designs and conversions with most of the Turbots withdrawn in the late 1990s and early 2000s.   By late 2005 the national rail fleet was down to just 10 examples.

The Models
Two versions of Turbot are being produced, the as-built design with Dutch livery and the later EWS livery with additional handrails fitted.  Each of the running numbers will be finished to match the prototype markings.

There are two options for payments on these models - you can buy a pack of four and pay immediately (saving £20), alternatively you can wait until the models arrive and pay on despatch.  If you wish to order individual wagons there is no saving for paying in advance.

Delivery is expected towards the end of 2017.

PRE-ORDER (PAY IN FULL) AND SAVE £20 PER PACK OF 4 (This offer is time-limited and may be withdrawn without prior warning)

DB978110-1502879209.jpg

SB006 DUTCH YCV Turbot Pack of 4...£99.96

Db%20978105lr-1502879472.jpg
SB006 EWS YCV Turbot Pack of 4...£99.96

INDIVIDUAL MODELS (PAY ON DESPATCH)

DB978110-1502876532.jpg

SB006A YCV Turbot DB978110...£29.99

SB006B YCV Turbot DB978015...£29.99

SB006C YCV Turbot DB978115...£29.99

SB006D YCV Turbot DB978002...£29.99

Db%20978105lr-1503054132.jpg

SB006E YCV Turbot DB978105...£29.99

SB006F YCV Turbot DB978354...£29.99

SB006G YCV Turbot DB978356...£29.99

SB006H YCV Turbot DB978488...£29.99

Two versions of Turbot are being produced, the as-built design with Dutch livery and the later EWS livery with additional handrails fitted.

Each of the running numbers will be finished to match the prototype markings.

There are two options for payments on these models - you can buy a pack of four and pay immediately (saving £20), alternatively you can wait until the models arrive and pay on despatch.  If you wish to order individual wagons there is no saving for paying in advance.

Delivery is expected towards the end of 2017.

More info: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/161/YCV-Turbot

Edited by Andy Y
Full press release information added.
  • Like 4

Hmmmm more pay it all in advance

Good that it enables us to spread cost by buying whilst we wait for all the other manufacturers' promises to be delivered (Beachy Head anyone!!)  but I was a trifle perturbed/surprised when I added up  what I now have invested in yet to be delivered (not just Kernow) projects (these as opposed to normal advance credit card orders).

They do however appear to have made faster progress than I have with my Cambrian kits (3/4s built and unpainted whilst I work out how to neatly mask all the ribs)  and so far they have delivered - so I will probably buy.

It would however be very useful if Kernow could initiate some sort of stage pre-payments process (like the DJM Class 92) though - then in the lean months we could even out expenditure. It might also lead to increased sales (he said agonising over that 2nd 4-TC)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm more pay it all in advance

Good that it enables us to spread cost by buying whilst we wait for all the other manufacturers' promises to be delivered (Beachy Head anyone!!) but I was a trifle perturbed/surprised when I added up what I now have invested in yet to be delivered (not just Kernow) projects (these as opposed to normal advance credit card orders).

They do however appear to have made faster progress than I have with my Cambrian kits (3/4s built and unpainted whilst I work out how to neatly mask all the ribs) and so far they have delivered - so I will probably buy.

It would however be very useful if Kernow could initiate some sort of stage pre-payments process (like the DJM Class 92) though - then in the lean months we could even out expenditure. It might also lead to increased sales (he said agonising over that 2nd 4-TC)

Up front payment is not mandatory, and Kernow do allow you to save up credit to then pay for items.

I have over £1K of items pre-paid and am more than happy as they can all come at once and I won't care.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

There are so many wagons for which no kit exists. It seems a shame to duplicate what's already available when something else could have been chosen.

Still... they did run to Whatley, so maybe I'll get some?

Guy

I agree...bearing in mind I'm still smarting at the warwell duplicates. A warflat would have been nice. I digress.

The Cambrian kit must rank as one of the easiest kits around now the bogies come as a one piece moulding so it's a shame Kernow have picked it but having said that it's a ubiquitous prototype and I'm sure it will sell.... I look forward to see its delicate sides because that's what you get with Cambrian.

Griff

Guest eddie reffin

Bu66er! Just ordered the various bits to finish my Cambrian ones yesterday. Hey ho, I'll get the satisfaction of building and finishing mine. Surprised they haven't been released RTR till now though. Good luck to them with this.

• Like 1

There are so many wagons for which no kit exists. It seems a shame to duplicate what's already available when something else could have been chosen.

Still... they did run to Whatley, so maybe I'll get some?

Guy

Agree, as others have said its an easy kit to build, I have a few, I think people struggle getting a nice straight line with the dutch livery which then puts them off building more. I seem to remember comments about painting when mine were being used on the club layout at exhibitions and that was 13-14 years ago!

Cheers

Simon

Any weathered ones in the pipeline? Or at the very least slightly less shiny wheels?

Weathering on a well used turbot would be quite difficult to get right especially in later years.

The steel doors were too lightweight to take the kind of punishment they received when being unloaded by mechanical grab

and were easily bent out of shape, some of them so badly they even went out of gauge,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Please sort the trusses out first - they're about a foot too low

There is something that does not look right about the trusses. Looking at the photo of the real EWS Turbot, the vertical legs attach to the bottom end of the diagonal member rather than to the lower horizontal member. The model has them connected to the horizontal member. Coupled with the truss looking too deep, as Southernman46 has observed, this gives the diagonal members too steep an angle. All of this, to me makes it "look wrong".

Perhaps a spot of weathering will improve things.

Darius

Agree, as others have said its an easy kit to build, I have a few, I think people struggle getting a nice straight line with the dutch livery which then puts them off building more. I seem to remember comments about painting when mine were being used on the club layout at exhibitions and that was 13-14 years ago!

Cheers

Simon

I also have some Cambrians awaiting painting & I may buy a couple more because I enjoy building them.

The yellow line will indeed be difficult to get straight, but the prototypes were always so rusty you could never see where it changed from yellow to grey anyway, so I was planning to try & hide the wavy lines with some heavy weathering. As mentioned, this will also be difficult to get right.

The Cambrian is a good kit so I will still finish mine, but the Kernow model looks like a nice way to add some 'less heavily battered' ones into the rake.

• Like 1

Am I just being blind or have they not said who is producing them for Kernow?

Would imagine its DJ Models. 

Have e-mailed Dapol to see if they are going to continue with their Turbot (suppose it will depend on how far they are with tooling and the levels of pre-orders, but I am hoping so).  Personally, the Turbot's underframe detail looks 'bulky' to me and after having FTG SPA's from the DJ Stable, not too keen.   

My preference would have been for DJ and Kernow to have focused on getting some of their other projects to fruition.  

Regards,

Would imagine its DJ Models.

Have e-mailed Dapol to see if they are going to continue with their Turbot (suppose it will depend on how far they are with tooling and the levels of pre-orders, but I am hoping so). Personally, the Turbot's underframe detail looks 'bulky' to me and after having FTG SPA's from the DJ Stable, not too keen.

My preference would have been for DJ and Kernow to have focused on getting some of their other projects to fruition.

Regards,

Why not ask Kernow - it only takes an email.

I wonder if there will be a weathered version with missing floor planks, bulged sides and green card? Also does someone make signal troughing lids in 00 to cover the holes before loading said wagon with spoil?

• Like 2