Kernow OO gauge YCV Turbot Bogie Ballast Wagon

Paul.Uni

There has been some discussion on the design of the trusses. What effect does this modification have on those?

It doesn't affect the trusses and they are still clear of the track, so don't catch at points or crossovers. This doesn't address the depth of the trusses, that's a separate issue. Looking at Paul Bartlett's photos of the prototype, I think that the issue is around the lower position of the brake hangers, as on the prototype, they are attached, at their end point,  to the start of the angled truss, at it's lowest point, whereas on the model they are a couple of mm higher, finishing on the vertical support. It may be possible to cut through the 4 vertical supports at the bottom of the brake hangers and a vertical cut to the angled supports where they join the vertical, lose the excess from the cut off vertical supports and re-glue in place, then adjust the angled trusses to meet the adjusted vertical supports. Will be a fair bit of work and I'm not sure I'm going to tackle it, as the trusses look ok to me from my normal viewing angle of looking down on the model

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the most unusual thing about the coupling mounting. Is this the first RTR piece of bogie rolling stock on which the coupling isn't attached to the bogie but to the main body? And has anyone yet tested a rake on tight-radius curves to see how they behave?

These are short wagons, shorter than, for example, the Tube that Bachmann model.

Paul

It doesn't affect the trusses and they are still clear of the track, so don't catch at points or crossovers. This doesn't address the depth of the trusses, that's a separate issue. Looking at Paul Bartlett's photos of the prototype, I think that the issue is around the lower position of the brake hangers, as on the prototype, they are attached, at their end point, to the start of the angled truss, at it's lowest point, whereas on the model they are a couple of mm higher, finishing on the vertical support. It may be possible to cut through the 4 vertical supports at the bottom of the brake hangers and a vertical cut to the angled supports where they join the vertical, lose the excess from the cut off vertical supports and re-glue in place, then adjust the angled trusses to meet the adjusted vertical supports. Will be a fair bit of work and I'm not sure I'm going to tackle it, as the trusses look ok to me from my normal viewing angle of looking down on the model

Are drawings available?

Prototype drawing

Bartlett, Paul W. & Mann, Trevor., (1985) Non Hoppered Steel Ballast Wagons. Part 4 The Plaice and Turbot. Model Railway Constructor vol 52 part 615 pp 418 — 422 & 444 — 445.

Paul

Unfortunately second hand magazines are advertised in year and month order, so which year is volume 52 and in which months do pages 418-422 and 444-445 appear?

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately second hand magazines are advertised in year and month order, so which year is volume 52 and in which months do pages 418-422 and 444-445 appear?

Regards

A google search may help;

https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/magazine/modelrailwayconstructor.php

Mike.

Regards

To answer my own question, it would seem that it is August 1985. Non appear to be available at present either on eBay or the Magazine Exchange

These are short wagons, shorter than, for example, the Tube that Bachmann model.

Paul

They were used for Duport's traffic from Llanelli to Great Bridge for this very reason; they were the only bogie vehicles that could access the loading area through some very sharp curves. One day, a Bolster C was mixed in with the empties- the overhang knocked out a lineside hut before the error was discovered.

The wrong height of the coupling was evident from the CAD pictures. If I remember correctly, the Dapol Turbots will have the NEM pockets at the correct height.

In my opinion realistic details come second after compatibility to existing stock. Accurascale, are you listening? Your Nem pocket height gives reason for some concerns too.

Hi.

Have you posted your Accurascale concerns on an appropriate thread, or passed them on to them directly?  If not it seems a bit ambitious to expect them to pick up your concerns here.

The wrong height of the coupling was evident from the CAD pictures. If I remember correctly, the Dapol Turbots will have the NEM pockets at the correct height.

In my opinion realistic details come second after compatibility to existing stock. Accurascale, are you listening? Your Nem pocket height gives reason for some concerns too.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Felix,

As we have stated elsewhere our factory is moving our NEM pockets to correct height before production. It's something we have acknowledged and are well aware of.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by 071
  • Like 3

Having carried out the bogie height adjustment I previously described, which made a great improvement to the gap between the bogie and the underframe as well as bringing down the buffer height, I left things for a few days, however having mulled it over, I just wasn't happy with the truss depth, which is far too deep, and the bogie gap adjustment has made this more noticeable.

Having studied a large number of prototype photos on Paul Bartlett's site, I came to the conclusion that the problem lay with the vertical truss supports, which extend down too far below the vertical brake hanger. The prototype photos show that the brake hanger at its lowest point, is level with the top of the horizontal truss support and is attached to the angled truss, rather than in the model, being a couple of mm above the angled truss. These links to Paul's photos show this well with excellent detail of the relationship between the angled and horizontal truss bars and the brake hanger.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p452797175-3.jpg

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v24/p472815275-3.jpg

I therefore hatched a plan to modify the model, which involved cutting off the lower truss section. I cut the two vertical bars next to the two brake hangers level with the bottom of the brake hanger, then made a plasticard template of the revised vertical truss bar height and used that to mark and cut the other two verticals. I then cut through the 4 angled truss bars at the point where they join the vertical bar. This allowed the cut off vertical trusses and the cross pieces to fall away. The angled trusses remain attached to the model chassis and with pressure from my thumb on the whole length, I was able to bend these closer to the body to what would be their new height.

The cut off section was now addressed and the crosspieces were carefully removed to be re-used. The remains of the cut vertical bars were cut from the horizontal bars so that the horizontal bar retains its original length. After tidying up of cuts, the horizontal bars can be reattached to the cut down vertical bars that are on the model chassis. Once dry, the angled truss bars need to be filed gradually at the cut end, until you get the correct length to be able to glue them to the end of the reattached horizontal bar. I then tidied up the glued joints with an emery stick and 1200 wet and dry, finally attaching the crosspieces across from side to side. Hopefully these photos will show the effect. I believe the height of the truss is much closer to prototype and certainly the relationship between the truss, the brake vacuum V brackets and the vertical brake hanger is much better. Three YCVs converted and 3 to go. I attach another prototype photo with a good side on view, which was previously posted in the Dapol Turbot thread. 

Unfortunately I suspect this design error will be carried over to the Bogie Bolster E and I'm not sure I will want to carry out more changes, but we'll see.

post-13514-0-07613300-1520356181.jpg

post-13514-0-15349200-1520356200_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-61634200-1520356227_thumb.jpg

post-13514-0-89096900-1520356249_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Personally, cannot understand why people have not just waited for Dapol's version, and then made an informed decision on which of the two Turbot models the individual thinks is best!

Regards,

C.

Kernow have already sold out of the Dutch examples so waiting not really an option unless there will be another run.

Personally, cannot understand why people have not just waited for Dapol's version, and then made an informed decision on which of the two Turbot models the individual thinks is best!

Regards,

C.

You think Dapol will still make this ? I don’t

• 3 weeks later...

Dapol have publicly stated that they're going ahead with their Turbot, the specs are better than the KMRC model also.

I asked Dapol in an e-mail after Kernow made their intentions known, Joel the MD got back to me, and said we are assessing it - give us a couple of weeks.  Then replied saying they were, and a couple of CAD's came out a couple of weeks later.  Personally, I were never too keen on the Kernow bogies either, hence wanted a decision off Dapol, and with them saying "Yes" decided to wait.  Clearly with Kernow selling out of Dutch, there is a market and if you look at the Cads, they look very good (assuming we don't get any silly mistakes as per MJA's with lamp irons on the wrong end etc).

Regards,

C.

• 2 weeks later...

KERNOW MODEL RAIL CENTRE PRESS RELEASE - MORE TURBOTS

Following the sell-out of our Dutch Turbots in OO Gauge (within 1 week of arriving!) we are pleased to announce six further versions.

Two will be pristine and four weathered, all will be priced at £29.99 each.  As previously, you can pay up front and save £5 per wagon.  Delivery is expected later this year.

SB006Y.jpg
 SB006Y DUTCH YCV Pristine Turbot Pack of 2... £49.98 Pre-order pay in full

SB006Z.jpg
SB006Z DUTCH YCV Weathered Turbot Pack of 4... £99.96 Pre-order pay in full

INDIVIDUAL MODELS 

SB006W.jpg
SB006I YCV Turbot DB978021...£29.99 PRE-ORDER PRICE
SB006J YCV Turbot DB978051...£29.99 PRE-ORDER PRICE
SB006K YCV Turbot DB978066...£29.99 PRE-ORDER PRICE
SB006L YCV Turbot DB978002...£29.99 PRE-ORDER PRICE

SB006B%201%20web.jpg
SB006M YCV Turbot DB978002...£29.99 PRE-ORDER PRICE
SB006N YCV Turbot DB978002...£29.99 PRE-ORDER PRICE

Please note the images of the pristine models are the previous version, which are identical other than the running numbers.  The weathered version is the first sample, the pattern and colour of rust will be improved for production.

Further information is available from our website at the dedicated Turbot page

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/161/YCV-Turbot