Draisine160 - French N Gauge Models

SNCF stephen

Evening All 

I have posted about this on other parts of the forum and the wider internet but I thought it would be useful to put all my digital French modelling into a single post. For the past 4 or 5 months I have put some serious time into making a host of N Gauge models in CAD and getting them 3D printed. This is mainly for my own satisfaction as it is far easier for me to do this than to cut styrene sheets neatly. 

My efforts are starting to yield results and I am quite proud of how far I have come. The first model was the DU65. This has now bee modified quite heavily with the windows punched through and a static chassis now available which even features interior detail such as seats and the control panel (which if you look closely also has the speed dials moulded on them). I have also had a go at making a trailer for it. At the moment the trailer is available as a static model and a version that will allow wheels to be installed is on its way. On the new DU65 there is also a means of coupling it to the trailer underneath the chassis. 

post-6976-0-04533100-1503328955_thumb.jpg

The DU84 had been on my radar for a while. The chassis is the Kato four wheel chassis and the kit fits over the top of it. When getting the railings printed it is at the edge of what can be printed and luckily they came out good. I am looking forward to getting this painted up at some point soon. 

post-6976-0-69383500-1503328928_thumb.jpg

The most impressive one is the XR6000 which has been missing from the N gauge world for some time. I have developed a chassis for the trailer which still needs tweaking but when it is finished it will allow it to run on Piko Corail bogies. I am also considering modelling the interior seats of the trailer. 

post-6976-0-64246000-1503328967_thumb.jpg

The most recent development is the 1500DC catenery. I have started with two masts types and plan to do more. 

post-6976-0-36409000-1503328939_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested in these then they are or will be available shortly on my web store via shapeways.com (search for Draisine160) or visit the link below: 

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/draisine160 

Edited by SNCF stephen
  • Like 10

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Superb!

Are you thinking of having wires between your catenary masts? (I can arrange that!)

PS: The "plug" at base of mast looks rectangular. Would it not be better to have it round?

PPS: Are you thinking of also upsizing the masts to HO?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium

These look very impressive...well done.

That DU84 is very nice, and those handrails have worked out well.

Have you sourced a chassis for the DU65? A good start may be either Tomix/Tomytec or Tsugawa. Example of the Tsugawa chassis below...but I expect this example will he too short.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-Size-Motorized-Chassis-TU-9A-Tsugawa-Yokou-14046-N-scale-/202114568084?_mwBanner=1

• RMweb Gold

These look very impressive...well done.

That DU84 is very nice, and those handrails have worked out well.

Have you sourced a chassis for the DU65? A good start may be either Tomix/Tomytec or Tsugawa. Example of the Tsugawa chassis below...but I expect this example will he too short.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-Size-Motorized-Chassis-TU-9A-Tsugawa-Yokou-14046-N-scale-/202114568084?_mwBanner=1

I had not come across those Tsugawa before. Look very useful although some sort of modification needed to deal with their 4.5v motor.

Morning. Thanks for the kind words.

I shall reply more thoroughly this evening. The masts have a round base which is 5mm in width. I have placed this into the foam board as it needed supporting.

My plan is to not use wires as I feel it would make access to the track too difficult and in N (while it does look awesome) it is too fiddly for my clumsy hands.

I have made a static chassis for the DU65 and the best chassis for it to run is the Swiss shunting tractor by Arnold. It is expensive but when modified it is the best fit. I shall investigate the option you suggested tonight.

• RMweb Gold

Morning. Thanks for the kind words.

I shall reply more thoroughly this evening. The masts have a round base which is 5mm in width. I have placed this into the foam board as it needed supporting.

My plan is to not use wires as I feel it would make access to the track too difficult and in N (while it does look awesome) it is too fiddly for my clumsy hands.

I have made a static chassis for the DU65 and the best chassis for it to run is the Swiss shunting tractor by Arnold. It is expensive but when modified it is the best fit. I shall investigate the option you suggested tonight.

I think that most of us find catenary difficult even in HO, never mind N. But let me know if you change your mind.

Indeed, I may give it some thought. I often change my mind as I model.

To answer some of the earlier questions. The masts could be scaled up quite easily but the costs of having them printed would also increase. If there is interest I can do this for you.

Thank you for the tip on the chassis. That is an example I must try. While the wheels are a little large it could be disguised with a frame so I may see what can be done.

• RMweb Gold

Of course the masts would be more expensive to print in HO but I am sure that there would be demand. They really do look that good.

From what I have seen on Shapeways, the key to production of parts such as this is to print them in "blocks" of, say, 10.

I May look into that then. Thanks for the tip (and the very kind words about the masts).

I have two other types of mast that have not been pictured in this thread. I shall try and get some uploaded soon.

I am also trying to develop a double cantilever style mast which is quite exciting

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick post. I have sprayed some of the catenery masts up into grey which makes them look a lot better. This is also the first image of the double mast which I think looks quite smart. 

post-6976-0-29576900-1512731722_thumb.jpg

I have also completed the DU65 with the snow plough attachments. I may also have a stab at the version that has the modifications for the plough but with the ploughs removed. The images below are from the test print so I have modified the plough design now as this version is too pointy.

post-6976-0-47994900-1512731955_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I May look into that then. Thanks for the tip (and the very kind words about the masts).

I have two other types of mast that have not been pictured in this thread. I shall try and get some uploaded soon.

I am also trying to develop a double cantilever style mast which is quite exciting

If you look up the Chapel-en-le-Frith thread, they had their telegraph posts printed as a bundle IIRC.

• 5 months later...

Morning.  Thought i'd share my work.  

I purchased one of the XR6000 bodies from Stephen and set to work on it.  I decided to use a carriage chassis and shorten it to fit.  Using an Ibertren Corail coach, I did a cut n shut with it.  Painting of the body was fairly straightforward and I am pleased with the results.  Can highly recommend the model that sits nicely on the back of an X2200 or X2800 railcar. 

post-1105-0-92820200-1526201762_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-30887000-1526201776_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-24317300-1526201793_thumb.jpg

Edited by kintbury jon
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

That is superb work with the XR6000 painting. 

I wanted to post an update on some forthcoming models. My latest project is the XR7000 and XR8000 trailers. These are well progressed and I am awaiting what I hope will be the final test prints from Endhoverh in the coming days. The XR7000 will be released first as the XR8000 requires a little more work. 

post-6976-0-18381200-1532027038_thumb.jpg

The trailers sit on Bandai bogies which are readily available and do not have a frame so it means that they will be able to accommodate tighter bends on layouts. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Evening all

I have put together a video of the two latest releases (well 3 technically). It can be found here:

I have a load of other French N gauge videos and videos of French trains on there so please have a look at the Handel (likes and subscriptions would be hugely appreciated).

post-6976-0-79012600-1538072589_thumb.jpeg

I also managed to get a photo of the range so far (minus the catenary). Most of my products are available on my Shapeways shop:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/draisine160

Coming along soon is the Z2 and the FNC! Very exciting times.

• Like 3

Hello again.

I have now received the test prints of the Z2. This will use a Tomytec chassis that can be extended using parts I have 3D printed. The trailer chassis used Bandai bogies and is unpowered.

It is a low resolution print and the front lights don’t show very well on the photos.

Would love some feedback. Thanks

post-6976-0-37375900-1538423688_thumb.jpeg

post-6976-0-37375900-1538423688_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Hello again.

I have now received the test prints of the Z2. This will use a Tomytec chassis that can be extended using parts I have 3D printed. The trailer chassis used Bandai bogies and is unpowered.

It is a low resolution print and the front lights don’t show very well on the photos.

Would love some feedback. Thanks

attachicon.gifBE740BB8-0403-4868-A5C1-B6F3E23C1CE1.jpeg

Those look pretty good to me.

Missed your earlier posts about the trailers. You are doing great work here for French N. Have you managed to get them publicised in France?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Joseph

Not yet. I was considering taking out an advert or something but I have not had the time to focus on marketing plus I wouldn’t know where to start.

I think a stand at one or two of the better exhibitions might yield more than an advert.

You could probably get the whole display into a suitcase and take with you on Eurostar.

• 3 weeks later...

I do intend to be at Lenham this year.

Here is some progress on the Z2.

I have painted it up. It still requires finishing but I wanted to show some progress.

post-6976-0-41248400-1540131916_thumb.jpeg

I have also had bogie frames made for the model.

post-6976-0-30630900-1540131972_thumb.jpeg

Finally. Have a look at this video showing off the sound decoder I have installed!