BR Mk1 Discotheque Coach?

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Leafing through my Mark 1 & 2 Coach bible casually yesterday evening I came across a Mk1 listed as number 2990 (I think, am at work at the moment and away from aforementioned book) which was converted to a discotheque apparently!

A brief search for any photos so far has come up blank, can anyone help as I have a penchant for coaching stock oddballs!

Hello

Leafing through my Mark 1 & 2 Coach bible casually yesterday evening I came across a Mk1 listed as number 2990 (I think, am at work at the moment and away from aforementioned book) which was converted to a discotheque apparently!

A brief search for any photos so far has come up blank, can anyone help as I have a penchant for coaching stock oddballs!

It formed part of the 'League Liner' a rake of Mk.1 coaches altered internally circa 1976 and used for football excursions.

http://l450v.alamy.com/450v/g7ewr0/soccer-league-liner-disco-coach-g7ewr0.jpg

http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/104/54204-2.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/feb/27/the-knowledge-football-disco-train

As a lifelong Cardiff City fan, I don't recall us ever being blessed with its services, all we got was a brace of Bristol allocated Cl.118s one year to take us to Pompey, a steam heat Canton Cl.37 and Mk.1 stock for a night match at Swindon, and the best we ever got was a Canton 47, rake of Mk.1 opens and a redundant ECML  Met-Camm Pullman car (for the players and officials) on a trip to Prittlewell for a third round tie at Roots Hall (which we lost).

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Ironically it seems to suffer from the same lack of windows claustrophobia that BR disliked from the Bulleid tavern cars. 

Of course football specials of the day were noted for the lack of windows, or windows with glass in anyway...

As a lifelong Cardiff City fan, I don't recall us ever being blessed with its services, all we got was a brace of Bristol allocated Cl.118s one year to take us to Pompey, a steam heat Canton Cl.37 and Mk.1 stock for a night match at Swindon, and the best we ever got was a Canton 47, rake of Mk.1 opens and a redundant ECML  Met-Camm Pullman car (for the players and officials) on a trip to Prittlewell for a third round tie at Roots Hall (which we lost).

Brian R

Was it common for players and fans to travel in the same train (with disco or not)?

Bill

Was it common for players and fans to travel in the same train (with disco or not)?

Bill

Southend United v Cardiff City, F.A. Cup (4th. Round ?), Saturday 24th January, 1976 was the only time I have known the team and officials travel on a 'footex'.

With Cardiff City fans reputation at the time, this was surprising, but also being a spendthrift club, not surprising - plus it avoided hotel costs, and/or a trip around the North Circular on a Saturday.

The train travelled up the GWML then via the NLL to eventually reach Prittlewell (for Roots Hall).

At the time, the WR had been blessed with several former ECML Met-Camm Pullman cars and they were common sites on excursions, with one being used on this train for the players and officials.

• RMweb Premium

So from what I have gleaned so far, the Disco Coach had a completely stripped out interior, internal panelling ceiling high but retained painted over windows on the outside in standard blue grey livery plus those funky names?

Did it run with a generator coach of some kind to power the Disco equipment?

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

I don't know anything about this coach, but did you ever see a discotheque with windows?

If you are looking for something different try exhibition trains. There was an article in MRC and years later I published an article about privately run trains in the HMRS Journal. My boss at one time had previously run one of the two companies.

Jonathan

• Like 1