Naples Street - a US Switching Layout in TT

So on to my next project - this 50ft hi-cube from Siggis in Germany. Comes complete with weights, decals, wheels and trucks, the only thing I need to add is couplers. I've got the Southern version so I'm going to have to find some suitably reddish-brown paint to finish it.

P1050414.JPG.581009f737398d2fd14a9628882c0bdc.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

All ready for fitting the decals supplied with the kit. After that's done I'll reduce the gloss sheen by applying a couple of coats of satin before weathering.

P1050605.JPG.25bdbacdb158ddefd678f83d912258e6.JPG

P1050607.JPG.fbff43616b85c639a0ec72bd04753272.JPGThe paint is three coats of burnt sienna artists' acrylic, applied with a brush over grey Rustoleum primer from a rattle can. Looks like a fairly decent match from the prototype photos I've seen.
To my mind the car is crying out for those two long vertical rods on the doors (fasteners?) as you see here:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2671218
They weren't supplied so I'll need to make some out of wire.

There were a few other niggles with the kit, such as no brakewheel gearbox and two missing side ladders (luckily I had some spare), but overall it's a nice model.
The couplers are Kadee 714s. They needed a thin shim to get them down to the right level. That's the last time I'm going to bother with those tiny springs, I'll save on frustration and buy Micro Trains ready-assembled in future. Seems for every spring I fit, no matter how careful I am I manage to mangle or lose one!

• Like 6

All done, with just a bit of light weathering.

P1050619.JPG.c70a99b3ff0a7ffe49201e8ea32483a4.JPG
The decals are excellent, and were easy to apply. You can hardly see the backing film at all.
The long vertical door bars weren't supplied so I made my own. Ditto for the side ladders - only two were supplied and they were too wide. Fortunately I had a spare length of ladder left over from a 3mm kit, which I cut down.
The main moulded parts are very nice and went together well, and overall I'm very pleased with the kit.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The latest addition to Naples Street - a Sante Fe coal gondola which I've recommissioned for scrap use. Not my best effort in some respects, but I was once again pleased with the supplied decals. It's all brush painted, with several coats of gloss varnish pre-decalling then then satin varnish after.

This time I used MicroTrains 1016 couplers, which are more dinky than my usual Kade 714s but come ready assembled. Having said which, I managed to make one fall apart anyway!

P1050680.JPG.97622e2c9c84f589d00ad995b448939b.JPG

• Like 5

I've made a start fitting a motor into another TT scale Lionel GP9 and this time I intend to install DCC sound. Given the restricted amount of space for a decoder and speaker I'm thinking small, something along the lines of a Zimo MX648 with one of the YouChoos sugarcube speakers such as the Scube5. Does anyone have experience of Zimo sound and the small YouChoos speakers, or can they suggest an equally small pair of alternatives?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One more addition to Naples Street - this GP9 in SP colours. Like my previous one it's a Lionel display model with a motor, gear train and truck assemblies added. Most of the parts came from Sebnitz, who sell Tillig spares.

This time I fitted sound - a Zimo MX648 decoder and a sugar cube speaker measuring 15 x 8 x 4.5mm from YouChoos, who preloaded the Zimo GP9 sound project for me. It's not particularly loud with this tiny speaker but ok for my small layout room.

All wiring except speaker wires goes via the PCB on top of the motor.
Everything just squeezes into the narrow body shell.
I painted the insides of the cab number boards black but the light still shines through a bit.

Couplers are now in place, and I've mended that broken handrail.

All ready for Risex on the 22nd!

P1050692.JPG.f26df834ac7f2fde7bd00dd2f3c2c269.JPGP1050694.JPG.8e4256e1ac487cad164b40ebdaec4b11.JPGP1050706.JPG.2e959d514f28cb3ef286edf0287e96c4.JPGP1050708.JPG.0f78fb5d70b86c769863ff08fb665143.JPGP1050709.JPG.b3a9d83a0404517c9a3d7b538379482d.JPG

• Like 4

On 21/02/2020 at 13:25, rodshaw said:

Come and see Naples Street ar Risex tomorrow! All packed up and ready for loading into the car.

P1050714.JPG.278f5e41e493c631b0d31a40919f8a5c.JPG

Hi Rod

I did and liked it very much. It also ran well, unlike my H0m layout earlier this month, so I think your decision to go with Peco H0m trackwork was a good one. It was good to meet you. 

I've long thought TT to be an excellent gauge/scale. Not so small as to feel like a rather distant observer which is how N has alway seemed to me  but small enough to get far more into the modest spaces most of us have (Cyril Freezer's Minories was originally designed as a 5ft long folding layout in TT-3 and published the month after it was introduced by Tri-ang) 

• Like 1

Thank you David.

This layout was very much an experiment to see what could be done with American TT and I must say I was pleasantly surprised at what was available once I started looking. RTR locos and stock were the biggest plus, and there's a nice line in road vehicles and figures. Motorising the Lionel display locos was fairly straightforward too. Unfortunately the supply of RTR locos has run out for now but I wasn't intending to buy more anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently updated my online description of Naples Street with a few new photos and a bit more about switching. Hope you like it.

I'm pondering altering one or two buildings and installing lights. Otherwise I think I've probably taken this layout as far as I can now, so after the remaining three shows I'm booked on this year I may retire it.

• 1 month later...

I've been 'modernising' my 40ft boxcars by removing the roofwalks. And, in one case, by shortening the side ladder. I have no idea whether these particular boxcars received this treatment, though similar ones did. Anyway it brings them into more or less the same era as my other freight cars.

P1050785.JPG.629f947f15225ad29a6cadfa278eb35e.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodshaw said:

I've been 'modernising' my 40ft boxcars by removing the roofwalks. And, in one case, by shortening the side ladder. I have no idea whether these particular boxcars received this treatment, though similar ones did. Anyway it brings them into more or less the same era as my other freight cars.

P1050785.JPG.629f947f15225ad29a6cadfa278eb35e.JPG

Hi Rod

My understanding is that the mandated removal of running board (roofwalks ) and the upper parts of roof ladders  that began in 1968 was supposed to have been completed by 1978 for all cars in interchange service. I understand that there were still a few around after that date. Some non-revenue cars retained their foorwalks till retiremen. I think the deadline was extended to 1983 but there were relatively few stll with running boards then.  

That was more or less my understanding too. The era of my layout is a little fluid but this little exercise brings things more into line. Besides which I don't really like roofwalks!

I think only a minority of these 'modernised' cars kept the long ladders so I may shorten one or two more. However, I'm stopping short at changing the date stencil marks - they are supposed to reflect the rebuild dates but at TT scale they are nigh on unreadable anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2020 at 11:56, rodshaw said:

It's a busy day at Naples Street.
But can anyone spot the impostor?

P1050822.JPG.c095ef726eb067fa825c038f83a58449.JPG

I've realised there are three impostors in the picture, though one is probably not that obvious.

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2020 at 15:00, rodshaw said:

I've realised there are three impostors in the picture, though one is probably not that obvious.

Morris UK van and the Tri-ang(?) British suburban as the grounded coach body are the two I can spot. Third?

Edit - is the third  the bloke in yellow overalls?  Not wearing US style red/yellow lined safety tabard and he has what looks like a European hard hat.

Edited by john new

The third is the workmen's hut, which, like the diner and the van, are 3mm scale resin castings. Having said which, going by the door heights, the hut and the diner are closer to the layout's 1:120 scale anyway.

Interesting you should point out the chap in yellow. This is an unmodified Preiser figure so I suppose it counts as interloper no. 4 - but someone on the ttnut forum pointed out it looks like this thoroughly American fisherman:

https://pics.me.me/thumb_gortons-trust- ... 107481.png

Just goes to show - I started off intending to show just the rather obvious Moggie. Should have shown a bit of track too, for the discerning to spot it's HOm gauge ;)

• Like 1