Ashover Light Railway in 009

2996 Victor

• RMweb Premium

Re-reading post #82 I think you need to build up the load in thinner layers, giving the glue time to dry between them. The ballast loads I made were mostly insulation foam with a thin layer of ballast on top.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86132-niles-kitbuilding-bench-br-palbrick/page-33&do=findComment&comment=3168698

• RMweb Premium

I use a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water to do wagon loads with, leave it 24 hours and it works a treat.

Re-reading post #82 I think you need to build up the load in thinner layers, giving the glue time to dry between them. The ballast loads I made were mostly insulation foam with a thin layer of ballast on top.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86132-niles-kitbuilding-bench-br-palbrick/page-33&do=findComment&comment=3168698

Thanks, both! I do think I had the mix wrong, and I'll give it a go with layering the ballast. The weights (UNF nuts!) take up a lot of the space in the bottom of the wagons, but another problem I've encountered is that the PVA/water mix has rusted the weights and discoloured the ballast! I guess I'll have to paint them to seal the surface before the next attempt!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, both! I do think I had the mix wrong, and I'll give it a go with layering the ballast. The weights (UNF nuts!) take up a lot of the space in the bottom of the wagons, but another problem I've encountered is that the PVA/water mix has rusted the weights and discoloured the ballast! I guess I'll have to paint them to seal the surface before the next attempt!

Cheers,

Mark

Well, the Woodland Scenics "Scenic Cement" arrived while I was away for the Bank Holiday weekend.

I had a try with it toward the end of last week, basically starting again with the false floors for the stone loads, using four instead of five nuts as ballast weights and painting them before attempting to layer the crushed limestone. So far, so good! The stone hasn't discoloured at all and the glue seems to hold the individual chips securely. Win-win!

Photos to follow.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and there's this one, as well:

IMG_20180906_141237779.jpg

I know the milk churn and hogshead load has already appeared previously in this thread, but I chose to laquer it with a Humbrol acrylic matt spray, whereupon it bloomed and turned slightly opaque. So it's had another light coat of Tamiya matt clear, which has restored it. But not until after I'd repaired some scratch damage to the hogsheads, which had resulted from their contact with the wagon sides during loading and unloading. Hence, in the photograph, Class D No.4 has some temporary stretchers within, which, one hopes, will persuade a little additional clearance into the wagon body  :whistle:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Here's my latest wagon load, apologies for my slightly macabre sense of humour.....

IMG_20180913_132938556.jpg

The coffin and headstone are both made from plastikard, the coffin handles being fine phosphor bronze wire bent to shape. The headstone is resting on what I hope looks like a piece of sacking, made from a piece of manila envelope.

Cheers for now!

Mark

• Like 1

Here's my latest wagon load, apologies for my slightly macabre sense of humour.....

IMG_20180913_132938556.jpg

The coffin and headstone are both made from plastikard, the coffin handles being fine phosphor bronze wire bent to shape. The headstone is resting on what I hope looks like a piece of sacking, made from a piece of manila envelope.

Cheers for now!

Mark

Does this wagon have one foot in the grave?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, I'm ashamed to say it's over six weeks since I last did any modelling.

Progress: none! Life keeps getting in the way (I know I'm not alone in that!). The only positive development is placing a pre-order of a Bachmann Ashover bogie coach with the ever-helpful WD Models of Chesterfield!

I suppose I should really think about assembling those laser-cut baseboards I bought a year ago  :blush:

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a long, long time since I added anything to this thread, and to be honest, there's been very little progress other than a few more Class Ds undergoing work.

I won't be updating this thread in future - instead there is a thread on NGRM Online as it's a dedicated Narrow Gauge Forum, Progress will still be slow, but it'll be charted here NGRM Online ALR Thread, along with a couple of other NG projects I have in mind. My HO-Scale WV Logging Layout will stay on here, of course!

Cheers,

Mark