• 4 weeks later...

Hi Frank,

What a special view that is of the banked goods heading Down through Clayton.

I have tried to read your post on Bill's electronics several times, nothing goes in. Not really surprising, given my limited skills are elsewhere.

I have even more information about excursions on the Queensbury lines, courtesy of Mr Woodward and the LNER Society. Just in the period the layout is set too.

Cheers,

John

Edited by John Smart
update

• 3 months later...

Smashing as usual, Frank.

Be good to see that pair of quints finished (how rude does that sound?!?!)

In all seriousness, the C1 chassis looks very much the part. Got a very soft spot for those, and you're a brave man, because those aren't cheap models. Where is the chassis from?

I've also watched the video of those J7's, really impressive to see them at scale speed working together like that. Keep up the good work, hopefully not too long until you're able to access the layout.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Smashing as usual, Frank.

Be good to see that pair of quints finished (how rude does that sound?!?!)

In all seriousness, the C1 chassis looks very much the part. Got a very soft spot for those, and you're a brave man, because those aren't cheap models. Where is the chassis from?

I've also watched the video of those J7's, really impressive to see them at scale speed working together like that. Keep up the good work, hopefully not too long until you're able to access the layout.

Hi,

thanks for your kind remarks.  

The chassis is something I’ve drawn up myself and had etched by PPD.  I’ve only catered for EM and P4 because of the way the loco chassis is balanced which won’t work in OO.  There wouldn’t be room for the compensation beams and gearbox between the frames in OO.   The loco is compensated but the tender uses CSB.  

I intend to make chassis etches available at cost to anyone wanting one.  They will then need to source  their own brass wire and tube etc to create a complete kit of parts.    

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Smart said:

Plenty of interesting excursion traffic through Clayton as well.

John1729096109_Circular1540ExcursionTraffic20-3to2-4-1932Page28.jpg.c446f250d7c0a5628c4f906ec72bcaf7.jpg

Amazing stuff John.  I particularly like the idea of the pigeon vans but in order for the viewing public to appreciate the variety of traffic passing through Clayton I think we will need to provide some kind of narration for the time table that they can read as they watch the trains go by.

Another job to add to the list.....

Frank

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hopefully I have attached scans of front page and page 76 of a RCH book with details of 

Clayton.  I have no idea of the date of publication, other than it is between 1932 and 1947 - probably.  I have been promising Frank D to do this for some considerable time.  My incompetence with I.T. will have him in stitches.

IMG_20210110_0002.pdf IMG_20210110_0001.pdf

• 1 year later...

Hello again (at last),

It has been a disappointingly long time since I last felt that we had something newsworthy to report.  Progress has been slow but steady but sadly I have to report that we lost our dear colleague John Anderson to cancer early this year after a long illness.  John was our lead scenic modeller with 30 plus year's experience having worked on the club's previous finescale layouts; Leicester South (GC), Tebay and Evercreech Junction.  We will continue to strive to achieve the same high standard that John set for the scenic modelling on the layout.

The main progress to report is that the bespoke control system is now all but complete.  It is my firm belief that the success or failure of an exhibition layout is first and foremost determined by the simplicity and intuitiveness of the control system.  As a visitor at an exhibition I will quickly lose interest in a layout if the train's movements are spoiled by constantly running on to dead sections of track or running up the wrong line because the operator has failed to change all the correct points or select the correct section switches.  There are a few people who are just incapable of operating any layout correctly and they should not be allowed anywhere near an exhibition layout, but in the main I believe the fault lies squarely with the poor design of the control system, with the need to constantly drive across multiple controllers and manually set isolating sections, etc.  The problem often grows exponentially with the size of the layout.

We have done our utmost to ensure that this won't be the case with Clayton. Despite the complex trackwork in the fiddle yard the majority of the routes will be controlled by pushing the single button on the control panel associated with the siding that the required train is to depart from, or arrive into.  Selecting a route automatically cancels the previous route including activating any isolating sections.   At the same time the correct controller is automatically allocated to the new route as determined by how the points are set, the choice being one of the Up controller, the Down controller, or the Local controller.  At the same time the selected route is highlighted by the illumination of LED's on the control panel.  If the LED's are lite then there is no risk of the train running the wrong way or onto a dead section of track. 

764951805_IMG_06611.JPG.486a684a65e50ca91ee570428ddfd8d4.JPGThe 'rules' that determine how the layout operates are written in an Excel spreadsheet which is then uploaded into the microprocessor boards installed throughout the layout and control panels.  The 60 plus microprocessor boards communicate to each other using CanBUS technology.  This is the same technology as is used in modern motor cars to control all the equipment in the vehicle. 

The station yard's panel works in the same way.  The main line (station) panel is slightly different in that points and signals are controlled by a frame of DC Concepts levers.  The allocation of controllers is none the less determined by how the points are set.  Setting the crossover from the Down to the Up line will automatically allocate the Down controller to the Up line throughout the station area.  Similarly setting the points from the Down line into the station yard will switch out the station yard's controller and switch in the Down Controller.  No need to set any 'Cab Control' switches and therefore no risk of driving 'off section'. 

IMG_0161.jpg

Edited by Chuffer Davies
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

At the same time as working on the control system, I have also turned my attention to installing a turntable with capacity for the storage of an additional 11 locomotives.  Whether we will ever have spare locomotives is an entirely different subject but this area will also double as a loco servicing and cleaning area and so the ability to run loco's in and out of this area is still important.

Since this is intended to be an exhibition layout there is limited depth below the base board to install a drive system whilst keeping it safe during transportation.  This ruled out a number of commercially available turntable solutions.  I have chosen to install the old Airfix turntable kit because it requires a very shallow well of only about 8mm depth.  The kit was modified extensively by replacing the plastic outrigger wheels with small ball races and fifth ball race was installed in the central pivot which carries the majority of the weight.  I experienced problems with the outriggers flexing under the weight of a locomotive which then caused the deck of the table to drop onto the rail on which the outrigger wheels run.  I had to strengthen the outriggers with nickel silver which seems to have cured the problem.

We have motorised the turntable with a stepper motor and 1/250 ratio gearbox from RS Components, the control of which is achieved using a solution from the MERG group.  We have had a bit of an issue with interfacing the MERG control system with our main fiddleyard control panel but I'm sure we will sort it in due course.

IMG_7265.jpg.c9fb482ab1c41388cf31863ca257a138.jpg        

IMG_7760.jpg.028aa503b63c881991710695818e5869.jpg

• Like 15

5 hours ago, gr.king said:

On the one hand I'm impressed by the "foolproof" result of the control systems (so long as no fool damages the circuitry) and on the other hand I find such electronic complexities deeply worrying. Expensive too I imagine.

This control system was the brain child of one of our members who had for a long time had an ambition to design such a system.  He is a highly experienced electronics engineer with many years experience in the defence and communications industries and so this system has been so to speak a bus man’s holiday for him.  As a club we were clever enough to provide any encouragement he needed.

This system also enables the modeller to encode interlocking rules into the design if so wished.  Once the system is fully tested I believe the plan is to offer it to the MERG Group to add to their range of kits.  

It might have been possible to get the equivalent operational outcome using a more traditional approach but it would have been more difficult to both wire in the first place and to trouble shoot if things subsequently went wrong.

Time will tell if  we have made the right choice but so far I believe we have as we have not had any issues with the system’s hardware since it was installed, and the software has been stable for several months now.  We just have a few adjustments still to make to the data on the spreadsheet in the light of experience operating the layout.

Frank

• Informative/Useful 1

One further item I believe to be noteworthy at this time is the progress we have made on the scenic front.  Most of the contouring of the land has been completed and so the next thing we needed to progress was the dry-stone walls that were, and remain, a major feature of the landscape in the area.  We require over 40 feet of walling but initially we had no idea how to produce it.  Eventually one of our team, Barry Spink, hit upon the approach we have now adopted. 

The start point are strips of 3mm ply which are set into slots carved into the polystyrene substructure.  The strips are temporarily installed in their slot and the contours of the ground, and the top of the wall (less the capping stones), are marked onto the face of the ply strip with a pencil.  The ply is then trimmed down to the top line of the wall with a saw to give us the basic shape.

The plywood is then primed with PVA glue and once dry the surface of the ply (down to the line marking the ground level) is covered in a thin layer of DAS modelling clay applied a bit at a time by thumb.  Barry has created some small dies from plastic flute board which are pressed into the DAS (whilst still soft) to recreate the random pattern of the stonework. 

IMG_9094.jpg.1ddcd3d5fb0aa424486f16bcee53eaf8.jpg

The capping stones are recreated by cutting slits across the top of the wall with a sharp scalpel blade.

Once dry the wall is painted to recreate the variety of colours characteristic of Yorkshire stone in this area and it is then ready for permanent installation after which we will be able to start recreating the pastureland which bordered the railway line around Clayton.

IMG_8979.jpg.ea717b36f7bd3641e64e93e9ebfbf7c3.jpg

That's it for now,

Frank

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, CEINEWYDD said:

Stone me Frank!  Hugely impressive work on the electronics.  Glad it was not me asked to carry out U.A.T. !

Ha ha, now that takes me back to happy days developing systems in Albion Street.  At least all that knowledge has not been wasted as I used it to help design the end user requirements for this new control system.  I'm sure you'd enjoy testing it really.

Good to hear from you.

Frank    

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, CEINEWYDD said:

Glad it was not me asked to carry out U.A.T. !

8 hours ago, Chuffer Davies said:

I'm sure you'd enjoy testing it really.

FAT is the boring bit, UAT is fun ‘cos you get to try and ‘break it’ as well as showing it works.

:-)

Paul.

• 1 year later...

Yet another year has passed since our last update regarding the building of Clayton (EM) by members of the Shipley MRS.  With only 4 of us regularly down at the clubrooms working on the layout itself it is inevitable that progress will be slow and I don't want to bore readers with insignificant items but I thought it worth giving you a progress update as we commence 2024.

Barry and Andrew continue to work hard on creating the extensive grass land surrounding the line running through Clayton.  We are using hanging basket liner to represent the grass.  This is glued face down onto the surface of the layout and once dry the backing sheet is torn away to leave the fibres.  The matting is then trimmed to length first using some electric dog sheers to get the majority of the work done followed up with a pair of scissors to get down to the required the depth.  The matting is then coloured to represent typical Yorkshire Pennine pasture which tends to be a rich green because of the amount of rain that the area attracts.  Barry and Andrew intend to go back over the area to add weeds and bushes but I think it is already possible to get a feel for the likely look of the finished product.

IMG_2847.jpg.190cf01f2deff9ada39ba7ad296e2e98.jpg

Meanwhile I have been building bridges although I leave the painting to Barry because I don't have an artistic bone in my body despite being the son of two artistic parents.  I am building two under bridges, one which went over a farm track giving access to Holt's Farm and the other larger bridge at the start of Pasture Lane which in reality runs near parallel to the railway from this bridge all the way to beyond Clayton Station before turning through 90 deg's and crossing the railway on the over bridge shown in the above photo.  

The basic shape of the bridge is first cut from 3mm Birch ply.  This is then coated with a thick wash of PVA glue to act as a key for the next layer.  Once thoroughly dry the ply is covered with a skim of plaster which has been strengthened with a blob of PVA glue.  The PVA reduces the risk of the plaster chipping as well as giving the plaster a degree of flexibility so it doesn't crack whilst being worked.  Once the plaster is dry the surface is rubbed smooth with glass paper and a  representation of  Yorkshire stones is then scribed onto the surface of the plaster by hand.  The scribing took several day long visits to the clubrooms to complete but I don't think it was time wasted in the end as I am very happy with the end result now that Barry has painted it.   I chickened out in one respect in that the curved roof of the under bridge was formed from embossed plastic card as I couldn't face attempting to scribe stones into a curved surface.  I have to say the first bridge was far more of a learning curve than I had ever expected. Bridges are far more complicated than I had previously appreciated and some of the model took three attempts before I was happy with the finished article.  I therefore decided to create a card mock-up of the 2nd bridge so that I could resolve all the issues before committing to cutting wood and scribing plaster, the stage I have just reached. 

HOLT FARM BRIDGE: 

IMG_2845.jpg.ed84e0008c60a9c442fab8760c1df422.jpg

PASTURE LANE BRIDGE:

IMG_2843.jpg.469858921f888d9a5a2a49c5e2d5dc6e.jpg

At home work continues on building the motive power for Clayton (and some other projects).  Progress can be followed on my Chuffer's Workbench Topic elsewhere.

Apologies for the Great Western loco in the above link, I don't appear to be able to swap it for a more appropriate picture, but the majority of Chuffer's Workbench relates to the building of LNER locomotives for the Clayton layout.

Bye for now.

Frank

• Like 18