• 3 weeks later...

With some luck, some more work will kick off very soon, the first job I will tackle will be the legs. 

Meanwhile, i had a cheeky little purchase from ebay, being push-pull Ivatt 2mt tank 41324. Both the real 41324 and 41233 were both 6H (Bangor shed) locos for a period in their careers, so both will have almost certainly had a trip to Amlwch, and rather handily, Bachmann have modelled both at 6H, so they're ideal for the layout.

received_669139026892773.jpeg.a1da414ae5ae01e927df85b35ca6ab68.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Decided to add a stream with a Culvert under the track to add more interest and detail to the layout. I scratch built the culvert using Wills brick sheet for the walls and Wills concrete sheet for the capping stones.

Adding a Culvert to the Layout

I started by cutting out some of the polystyrene land form to create the ditch which will become the stream. I will use Sculptamold to form it.

The culvert inlet and outlet I scratch built. The internal walls are cut at an angle to fit under the track, as access to cut out the polystyrene was limited by the fences.

With the culverts in place, I added black card inside on top of the angled walls to create the illusion that it runs under the track rather than stops dead. 

Up next will be Sculptamold and scratch build some fences for the top. 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Not too much time on my hands, but enough to lay the Sculptamold to create the stream, and feather the new culvert inlet and outlet into the scenery. Next up to paint it brown, with textured 'mud' on top, then a smattering of static grass to blend it all in.

20191021_164649

20191021_164704

20191021_164716

Ill knock up a couple of post and rail safety fences for the top of the culverts, thinking of making one longer than the other.

• Like 4

Done a bit more tonight, having painted the white Sculptamold into more suitable burnt umber, and built, painted and installed some fences to the top of the culvert.

20191022_212445

20191022_212455

Quite happy with how things are turning out with this, im hoping once complete and blended in with it's surrounding scenery, itll add a bit more interest to the layout.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Inbetween sessions of threading wire through fenceposts on the layout, I decided to have a play and see if I could replicate the bowmac concrete crossing panels...

20191031_192842.jpg.a731bb96655a6c28d63b3cc92cc5e27c.jpg

For a future layout, maybe?

• Like 1

Did some more last night, wired up some of the fence, but soon went cross-eyed and struck with a severe case of boredom...

Layout progress 31/10/19

...so I proceeded with a bit of scenery, and started adding brambey-type vegetation along the line...

Layout progress 31/10/19

Ill take some better photos when I get home from work later. I'll leave you with a parting shot of 56003 powering towards Amlwch with a rake of MEAs.

Layout progress 31/10/19

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Had half an hour on the layout tonight, so decided to do more on the fence, paint the rails and play around a bit with the scenery. 20191109_205637.jpg.b329b159530f541df3d7019bd06822bb.jpg

Its quite difficult to photograph the lineside vegetation with it being in artificial light and it being down a bank, but hopefully this shot gives you a feel of what it should be like. Heavy and reasonably dense as it is on the lineside in the dingle today. Ive used a mix of Woodland Scenics dark green bush and seafoam covered in various scatters and leaf foliage of varying colours.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Done some more today, including (thankfully) finishing the rail painting, finished off the ballast around the bridge ends, and doing a bit more vegetation works(ironically I do the opposite of what i do on the layout on the real railway at work)

Here's a photo of a Western Region Pannier tank, which seems to have taken a wrong turn somewhere...

20191110_174054.jpg.f02908e75f681da2732908021540985f.jpg

• Like 5

And now for something new...

Dapol class 121

Dapol class 121

Dapol class 121

I populated the unit with a smattering of people, and ofcourse people sat behind the driver watching the line ahead! 

Dapol class 121

Dapol class 121

Hopefully have a LaisDCC 21MTC 6-function chip arriving for it tomorrow. 

• Like 6

Decoder arrived today, and I promptly fitted it after coming home from work. It's the LaisDCC 21MTC 6-function decoder, which I read somewhere is what Dapol sell as their 'Imperium' decoder(be it true or not I don't know, but all the functions worked straight from the off.)

Very happy. Had to make a small modification to the bogie side steps for the guard's door, by prying them off with a screw driver and re-positioning them further into the bogie. This eliminated any issues with the steps catching in the detail, causing de-railing on 'train set' curves.20191113_210313.jpg.b55e288a5692088a212ba7c089157173.jpg

Very happy.

• Like 6

Decided I'm in need of a new DCC system, one I can have a walkabout type cab and/or be able to use a smartphone or tablet to operate the trains. Ive made a bit of a shortlist.

- Using Raspberry Pi via a SPROG.

- Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC01 with WiFi.

- NCE Power Cab.

Decided the Z21 is well out of my price bracket, despite that probably being the ideal choice. However the z21 Sart is affordable for me, but I dont know the pro's and cons of it.

I have a powercab and its brilliant. 
it does however have a couple limitations which a friends Z21 setup on a smartphone does not,  mainly being able to operate funtion 10-30 without faffing about, something which is starting to bug me now that i have so many sound fitted locos.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My layouts are often operated by various helpers during shows and I find the NCE a very good system both for them and me. It is also easy to use for basic programming and I've got hold of a reasonably priced (Tam Valley I think) booster from Digitrains for use on my 7mm layout. I have a heavier duty Lenz system (both LH100s and 90s) but it rarely gets used. I'd like to get hold of an NCE Procab but they currently appear to be in the rocking horse p** category in terms of availability atm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input, really appreciated. The NCE system does sound good, but I came across the z21 Start, is that a 'little brother' type of thing to the normal Z21?

Meanwhile, another box of seafoam arrived today, so some more trees have appeared on the layout. Ive also temporarily fitted some boards around the rear to see how a backscene would pan out.

• Like 8

Nice work Caz, the scenery is excellent! I was gonna say it’d be nice to swim in that water but the layout is based in Wales......

Just a note to take care with your layout. I recently exhibited my small (and thin) depot layout and had to use heavy barrier weights to keep the boards from wobbling, and they’re about as thin as yours. If anyone knocks, bumps or leans on the boards I found they’re quite unstable being so thin. Just be careful as I’ve had stock on the floor before having been rocked off the layout! You may find with a longer layout (mine's only 2 boards, 3 legs) it may be more stable, but be warned!

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jack374 said:

Nice work Caz, the scenery is excellent! I was gonna say it’d be nice to swim in that water but the layout is based in Wales......

Just a note to take care with your layout. I recently exhibited my small (and thin) depot layout and had to use heavy barrier weights to keep the boards from wobbling, and they’re about as thin as yours. If anyone knocks, bumps or leans on the boards I found they’re quite unstable being so thin. Just be careful as I’ve had stock on the floor before having been rocked off the layout! You may find with a longer layout (mine's only 2 boards, 3 legs) it may be more stable, but be warned!

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks bud, I wouldn't swim in that water either knowing what's up stream :P

Yeah the stability of the boards did cross my mind, but I figured that because the shape of the layout isn't straight, ince all together it might strengthen it a bit. Im yet to assemble it all with these legs so time will tell.

All the best

Caz

• Like 2

Some ethernet cables and connectors arrived today  so fitted them to the board.

The sockets are intended as 'tap-in' points on two boards, whilst the cables connect it all together. 

20191209_152105

I bought two RJ45 cables and two 'waterproof' RJ45 sockets. I still need to buy a couple of splitters, more cable and more sockets, both to power this layout and my home layout. 

20191209_152113

A socket installed. I think they look quite neat.

20191209_152433

Underneath the boards, where the lead from the Prodigy command station plugs in (this will eventually be via a splitter with one lead heading off to another board)

20191209_152753

And here it is all connected and powered up.

As said im planning to install this lead and socket set-up on my home layout, which could even then be used to connect a Hornby Select to my Elite.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Winding down for Christmas now, so by tomorrow evening the layout will be packed up until next year. But on the workbench, things continue to blossom, including this Dapol 57ft coach im improvising into an LMS push-pull. 

20191217_215849.jpg.b4f5af03c2149f08a03541d6c8c5aaeb.jpg

Not, ofcourse, accurate, and it isnt supposed to be. I just wanted something to run with my Ivatt 2mt tanks which wasn't freight. And so far I'm more than happy with my progress.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

And so with this Corona, the exhibition booking for the layout has been cancelled/postponed. It was due a second appearance at Anglesey Model & Collection show in Llangefni, but as with everything else it's been postponed. 

Progress on the layout has been sparse since the last post, but despite everything I'm still going to keep working on the layout now as if the show was to still happen. The work must go on! 

So really only two bits of progress to report. Firstly, the push-pull driving car/brake has been more than less completed, only needing to glaze the windscreens. A composite coach has also been added.

Secondly, Ive begun the process of painting the woodwork on the front of the layout black, to make it look more presentable. 

20200321_223516

41324 with its push-pull set.

20200321_223807

Board 5 with it's front painted up.

Next up(apart from the painting) will be to make legs for board 2, re-configure the south staging board(as board 5 has made an appearance since the last show) and carry on with scenery, experimenting with different products. 

• Like 3