Some scenic work done over the last few days...

received_396567540902274.jpeg.c22d8a5e5acd450e3fd3a3aedf2b31d9.jpeg

Ive growth added to the bridge.

received_979560168904927.jpeg.1c1e2dc7cf7e7aec3844f6c83ac6d970.jpeg

Rock cutting added to one side...

received_154525375483007.jpeg.b9988d6943bd3ebe6a11b6dfe83c0430.jpeg

The view through the cutting. 

received_328513861112428.jpeg.8769bd7f06c010f4236b426ed4786281.jpeg

Just an overall view of a 143 on it's way to Amlwch on the last train of the day.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More done last night, namely installing the second side of the rock cutting filling in behind it, as well as a hole that I'd for some reason left when I did the base layer grass months back. 

Then, this morning before I set off for work, I painted the filler with brown umber paint and sprinkled green scatter over it as a base layer. 

20190308_065739.jpg.0bba60ba7363a700f1ba7e3dfc5c0731.jpg

20190308_065731.jpg.f8dc3c0e698d67ac68bdaaca0d68a9cd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This day 60 years ago...

BR Ivatt 2mt 41233 on a service to Gaerwen, stopped by driver Williams so fireman Davies could go out for a shot of the loco in the cutting...

20190308_065714-1.jpg.ea8df2e1ab11e7ce25cfe8625630feb8.jpg

Edited by CazRail
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

A poorer quality mobile phone image now, and it looks like old Ifor Hughes the driver hasnt quite got used to the new DMUs yet, seems to have applied power too soon after changing gear...

20190318_190337.jpg.cc97dfc18daec7b35d8ac53e6752a821.jpg

Still he was happy to see the 2mt tank arriving from Amlwch to his rescue! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, holywell junction said:

This is looking really good. I'm sure I for would be proud if he saw it!  The rock outcrops drew my eye.....can I ask - what are they made if Caz?

Thanks mate. The rock is just cork bark cut down and glued in. Ive left them unpainted for now, im not sure if they need it.

At the bottom of the rock Ive started to model it to be wet, so i need to work on that.

• Thanks 1

So with less than 2 weeks to go until it's public debut, here's the list of tasks to complete...

- Build two fiddle yard boards (one is complete)

- Get the stock together for the show, clean them and clean wheels.

- Put together a tool kit for the show, for assembling the layout as well as maintenance both it and stock will need through the day. 

- Paint the mating surfaces of the boards brown to help hide the slight gap. 

- Paint rail sides then clean rails.

Any more work done after this will be a bonus!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Caz which show are planning on going to? Is it public? I'm probably a long way away but you never know!

I need about of rock face on my layout so I might give the cork sheet a go.....thanks for the info! A massive tree was cut down recently near where I live and I did think 'borrowing' some bark until I saw the bugs!!

The show is Anglesey Model & Collection Show, April 6th at Canolfan Addysg Y Bont in Llangefni

21 minutes ago, holywell junction said:

I need about of rock face on my layout so I might give the cork sheet a go.....thanks for the info! A massive tree was cut down recently near where I live and I did think 'borrowing' some bark until I saw the bugs!!

I got the cork bark from eBay, the bits may seem hit and miss but workable.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Caz. I am highly unlikely to get to North Wales before the summer so won't get there but hopefully a few pictures will appear here!! No doubt your model will be a hit!!

Did I tell you that my dad was station master at Rhosgoch post war? Thats my link to this area!!

• Thanks 1

Hopefully there will be more opportunity to see the layout in the future. Ill make sure some pictures will pop up here. 

A nice little station is Rhosgoch, about mid-way between Llanerchymedd and Amlwch. Maybe a modelling opportunity. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite funny really, my sister popped to Anglesey this last autumn and found the old station house at Rhosgoch. She went to take a photo of herself outside and a grumpy owner came out and gave her hell! despite her explanation! Definitely not a local guy by all accounts! I once thought of modelling Amlwch (I think dad may have worked there for a while) but realised that there are at least two very good models already in existence so dropped that idea. I'd love to build Holywell Junction where I was born and brought up but at 00 scale, its a 30ft + model that's about 10-15ft wide!! Gonna have to get a bigger shed as they say!

Anyway, I am rambling. Yes please, if you get some photos of the show, I'd love to see them.

Cheers

M

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holywell junction said:

Quite funny really, my sister popped to Anglesey this last autumn and found the old station house at Rhosgoch. She went to take a photo of herself outside and a grumpy owner came out and gave her hell! despite her explanation! Definitely not a local guy by all accounts!

Funny you'd mention Rhosgoch station, we've had problems with the owner in work for parking near (although being considerate not to block) their gate, and to access track aswell. Expected us to walk three-quarters of a mile down overgrown track we had to cut our way through rather than letting us walk the 100 yards from the station. Seems that even though the it used to be a railway station, and they bought it from the railway, it means nothing to them. Wouldn't surprise me if they'd object to the line re-opening!

Excellent layout which brings back some nice memories; On our family holiday in 1973 we stayed in a farmhouse on Anglesey, not far from the Amlwch branch, and I recall being in Llanerchymedd and hearing a Class 24 passing but not being able to see it - Most frustrating !

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Excellent layout which brings back some nice memories; On our family holiday in 1973 we stayed in a farmhouse on Anglesey, not far from the Amlwch branch, and I recall being in Llanerchymedd and hearing a Class 24 passing but not being able to see it - Most frustrating !

A lot of people said it brought back many memories.

21 minutes ago, big jim said:

With Ed sheeran as guest operator

Come to mention it I thought my brother looked like a certain pop star!

Altogether a very successful first exhibition for the layout, hopefully more to come!

• Like 1