Zimo steam sound air compressor noise question

nswgr1855

I know many here will not be much need for the use of an air compressor sound on your model UK steam locomotives, but I will ask the following any way. How do I get to make the air compressor noise to automatically start when my locomotive comes to a stop. Is it something to do with CV 158?

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,

Terry Flynn.

Edited by nswgr1855

I know many here will not be much need for the use of an air compressor sound on your model UK steam locomotives, but I will ask the following any way. How do I get to make the air compressor noise to automatically start when my locomotive comes to a stop. Is it something to do with CV 158?

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,

Terry Flynn.

Sorry I cannot help with reply directly to the question, and perhaps technically that is what you need. From a railway perpective though I believe the air pump is designed to keep the reservoirs pumped up. As the driver uses air from the reservoirs to apply the air brakes to slow the train down, then the pump should automatically fire up and restore the pressure. 

Not sure if you need to alter CVs or whether you can create a random air compressor action in the way some diesel sound projects have intermittent compressor and radiator fan "spurts". After all you are trying to recreate a steam version of what the more modern diesels and electrics do.

• 2 weeks later...

Often the pumps will come on just after a train has come to a stop. And, commonly just after coupling up to a train. The German narrow gauge locos will do this as soon as the brake pipe has been charged up. The familiar clonk-clonk of the Westinghouse pump goes quite rapidly. Also if a loco is standing idle, the pump can occasionally clonk of its own accord now and then.

Can't help with cv settings but this is when the sounds should be activated.

• RMweb Gold

They are more common in the uk than you may think terry, a lot of austerities had them, and a number of 9fs as they were required to operate the doors on a certain iron ore wagon

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB762GB762&biw=1920&bih=974&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=steam+hauled+iron+ore&oq=steam+hauled+iron+ore&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1107225.1111000.0.1111084.23.22.1.0.0.0.125.1255.21j1.22.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.15.820...0j0i67k1j0i10k1j0i24k1.ldlvBlUWUvw#imgrc=dw1FBOx7aOu3mM:

the 9f in that picture has 2 fitted.

Paul chetter would be able to tell you which cv you need to alter, send him a PM

Edited by pheaton

I had a chat with Legomanbiffo a while ago regarding the compressor on my 2-EPB. I know this is Electric but the principle is similar: the compressor should come on to restore the pressure after brakes are applied, then come on at random to cope with air leaks.

After our chat & me thinking about it a little more, I believe there are too many variables to program. Bif did mention that he could add it as a random sound & has tried it. The problem is that it comes on at inappropriate times.

I know that Zimos are different to Loks but think about when the compressor should sound then think of how you could describe this mathematically, because this is what you would need to do.

• RMweb Gold

not always, the air compressor on the 9f has nothing to do with the brakes, in the case of the 9f its there to power the doors on iron ore hoppers.....

And random in reality isnt far from correct,

The air compressor (on locomotives) runs until the main reservoir reaches 155 psi, and cuts out, when reservoir drops to ~110psi it starts the compressors up again, (units may be different pressures but the principle is the same) remember however that the brakes on a diesel/electric locomotive is not the only thing power by air the engine is sped up by air, the traction motor contactors and reverser are powered by air AWS warning tones are powered by air. Obviously different braking and power control is going to use the air up more quickly and slowly. so random is probably the best choice when you scale down from the real thing.

Edited by pheaton

I have been watching these posts with interest as many of my locos have westinghouse sound ie J15 J69 J39 B12 D16 B17 L1 etc etc. I would to like to know how to link the sound to the end of the braking on the Zimo decoders. It must be possible as I have it on the Coastal DCC J15 chips on esu lok sound v4s. If they can produce the brake sound when bringing a loco to a halt then it must also be possible to link in the westinghouse brake on the Zimo however the Coastal J15 Zimo chip does not have this feature.

So if all else fails Coastal DCC J15 on loksound chip

Terry

• 1 month later...