Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

2 hours ago, 66738 said:

To make my 048 body correct, I either plate over small grill or renumber. So does any peak experts know of a 45/0 that had the small grill, plated over steps and plated angular grill? I’ve found 009 but that’s it. 

Not many had that combination so id guess 009 was about your lot.

I have ordered 3 Heljan ones (060/118/133) and 040 from Derails. I will possibly get another Bachmann one when further information comes out . quite like a sound 046 too.

Brilliant day, the more peaks the merrier for me:dirol_mini:

Edited by 47423
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Ive found a picture of 45/1 45102 which didn't have covers on the grills, at the nameplate or on the angular grill.

Would need a bit of work on the roof too. I was thinking about 45/0`s.

1 hour ago, brenn said:

Is this the shape of things to come....?

Hornby and Bachmann seen to be launching spoiling releases when they find out a rival manufacture is about to produce a new product and this is becoming standard practice now.....Hattons 66..Oliva Terrier, et al.

This kind of practices isn't going to bode well for the future of the hobby because it will cut the profitably and speed of return for the Major manufactures. Bachmann should have tackled the sealed beamed 45 years ago as it was bound to be a diesel winner, but now, having waited for Heljan to announce one they seem to think it's a good idea to go head to head with them......let see if there is marked difference in standards between the 2  versions in terms of fidelity and quality. Personally I think it going to be cost which will be the determining factor for volume sales as I have noticed a few new releases being quickly discounted when over £150 (not sound) Duchess of Hamilton,George VI for example.

~Now that all major diesels have been produced and the mine of one offs is rapidly diminishing the major manufactures are going to need to think what is their USP, because we can only have so many of the same thing as in my case   7 25s---6 37s-----8 50s----14 55s and i got at least 2 of  all the other class's which I've manly pick up when they get discounted like the recent class 22s. It will be interesting to see whether Heljan or Bachmann get their model in the shops first....my money is on Heljan.

B

I suspect it will have been something Bachmann will have been working on for a while but it hadn't broken cover until the Heljan announcement. Unfortunately manufacturers cant win if they announce things much earlier in development it'll reduce the chance of duplication but they get slated for not delivering for years. Announce things closer to release and there's more chance of duplication.

I find it disappointing there's so many types being duplicated now where others types like classes 81-84 and 89 have never been available ready to run

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Agreed with your point on the electrics but there aren't many of them left that hasn't been produced either.

I think it may well be the other way round Bachmann got confirmed wind that Heljan were going to produce a seal beamed 45 and dusted down the molds..........

B

• Like 1

To be fair to Bachmann, they probably got wind of Heljan’s 45 intentions when they announced the O gauge version. It would take a while to dig out the old info from the model zone version, so although it feels like an overnight scrabble to announce something before Heljan’s announcement, I guess they’ve been on this for a while. 

But they’re still too slow. This model, announced three years ago, and they would have cleaned up.

• Agree 4

26 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I suspect it will have been something Bachmann will have been working on for a while but it hadn't broken cover until the Heljan announcement. Unfortunately manufacturers cant win if they announce things much earlier in development it'll reduce the chance of duplication but they get slated for not delivering for years. Announce things closer to release and there's more chance of duplication.

I find it disappointing there's so many types being duplicated now where others types like classes 81-84 and 89 have never been available ready to run

Yes I agree, much as I am pleased that we will get a 45/1, I would have been seriously happy had classes 81-84 or 89 or one of the first generation 25kv EMUs been announced. Hey ho, will probably get one Bachmann and a few Heljan - as long as Heljan make the bodies easy to remove (unlike their 33 which I practically had to destroy to get into!) and as long as they install LEDs not bulbs. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, wirey33 said:

But they’re still too slow. This model, announced three years ago, and they would have cleaned up.

Yes absolutely - they only had to look at the crazy prices on eBay to see what demand was like for a sealed beam Peak - hindsight is a wonderful thing, but perhaps had Bachmann announced three years ago, we might have seen something genuinely new from Heljan announced - not that I'm knocking Heljan I hasten to add, as I'm really looking forward to their 45/1, but it would have been great to see something that has never been done RTR before. 

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure I agree with the “sudden rush” theory.

The picture of 46010 sitting on a class 45/1 chassis has been around since the catalog was announced in January.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-class-46-centre-headcode-46020-br-blue-32-701a/

That means the class 45/1 bogie has been around for a bit longer than that, who knows 12 months or more.

They haven't actually announced a 45/1, but why else would they make the mods to fit eth to a Brush type 4 1co-co1 bogie.. its certainly not for a 44 or 46.

Who knows, the announcement date may have changed with events, but I dont see anything to suggest the roadmap did.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Well if I were buying a brand new sealed beam peak it would be Heljan. The tooling is correct, nose doors (as Greg mentioned earlier) and flush plated bodyside steps (former roof filler access steps) are correct. I assume they will have reworked the roof for 45/1 as the boiler vents were plated over following the conversion. 

Several photos of sealed beam peaks show the variation in 'flushness" of the bodyside steps, the plating being visible on many machines. Bachmann have merely used the existing tooling for this, and added the flush end. 

The final released models may differ. Heljan of course do not offer the split and centre headcodes carried by over half the class from introduction to the start of the flush end programme in 1975/6.

Neil 

Edited by Downendian
Typo

I’m not overly enamoured with either manufacturer at present. Bachmann have not been far off becoming the Nokia of the model world. Playing last minute catch up with the 66 and now announcing all these when , strangely, Heljan announce a new one  despite being asked for them for ages....

As for Heljan, I’m hoping they’ve turned a leaf with Bens input , as in my mind they didn’t listen to criticism, and produced some pretty mediocre stuff in shape, and in the case of the 47 , not particularly good runners.

i think I’ll let others buy and comment first before I commit to either version.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not overly enamoured with either manufacturer at present. Bachmann have not been far off becoming the Nokia of the model world. Playing last minute catch up with the 66 and now announcing all these when , strangely, Heljan announce a new one  despite being asked for them for ages....

As for Heljan, I’m hoping they’ve turned a leaf with Bens input , as in my mind they didn’t listen to criticism, and produced some pretty mediocre stuff in shape, and in the case of the 47 , not particularly good runners.

i think I’ll let others buy and comment first before I commit to either version.

I have to disagree with the comment regarding the Heljan 47 running capabilities - I've had several now and they've all been fine. 

• Agree 4

Some people have mentioned the chassis in the picture of the forthcoming '46020' by Bachmann as an indication of a possible 45/1, due to the apparent 'ETH' equipment. It should be noted that every single Bachmann peak, be it a 44, 45 or 46, has exactly the same limited bufferbeam detail arrangement (let's not get started on the missing main res pipes, steam heat etc.). Included in the detail pack is a jumper cable, which I assume represents the multiple working equipment present in the early 60's on all three classes of peak, but also passes off as ETH cables on any models numbered as a 45/1 (not that they have ever accurately modeled a 45/1). 

This is not an indication of Bachmann doing a 45/1. I don't think they've ever given enough attention to the detail differences of the peaks, a case in point is the totally incorrect lamp bracket / handrail arrangement on the centre/solid and centre/split headcode examples (the split headcode models which came later, have the correct arrangement however). 

To be honest I think Bachmann are too late to introduce a new tooling for a 45/1. Had they produced the peak that everyone wanted years ago, then Heljan will not have needed to make the announcement for this massive gap in the D&E era market. Someone was going to do it at some point, my money was on Accurascale but it makes sense for it to be Heljan as they did the 45 in O gauge. 

Also, I wouldn't count on Bachmann producing models with the angular grille on the lower bodyside. As mentioned before in this thread, this appears to be the same body as the Modelzone '45048', which had the grille plated over. I heavily doubt this this detail difference was even considered in the choice of 45022 & 45041. 

I'm not slagging off the Bachmann model, overall it is a great representation of the prototype in terms of shape / looks. I have over 20 of them, and if you are happy to sort out the fixable detail differences, then you have a good model. However, this makes it all the more sad that Bachmann didn't have the foresight to expand the range before someone else jumped in to fill the gap.

I did actually put an order in for one of the new sales exclusive Bachmann models, and I will go through with it despite the Heljan announcement. No doubt it will be modified and renumbered anyway.

It will be interesting to see what the Heljan one turns out like, especially if they adopt the clever idea of being able to swap the angular grille for a plated version, as on their O gauge model. I may end up getting a couple of these, especially if the range ends up expanding for the other nose end variants, or even class 44's / 46's.

We shall see.

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chris56057 said:

I have to disagree with the comment regarding the Heljan 47 running capabilities - I've had several now and they've all been fine. 

Fair enough, all the ones I had were sh1te. But no doubt they made 000s that were ok.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2019 at 17:44, royaloak said:

Why do some Counties get 2 Peaks, Kent, Surrey and Berkshire for 3 (there are more), yet smaller places such as Wales, Ireland and Scotland only get one?

Easy explanation for Kent which is a big county split by the River Medway with those on the London side being Kentish Men and those on the coastal side being Men of Kent.

I was born a Kentish man but am now living in the land of the Men of Kent so do I get a Kentish Man or a Man of Kent version? Or do I ……….. Decisions, decisions....

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Mophead is correct - all Bachmann 45s and 46s have that jumper cable as a representation of MU gear that was removed before too long...see the pictures on David Heys excellent site

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page16.htm

MU Jumper connection plug is outboard of the buffers - as modelled by Bachmann and often incorrectly fitted to 45/0s modelled later in life. I could take my life in my hands and say that no blue 45/0 should have that jumper cable fitted.....best to remove the mounting bracket from the bogies on 45/0s modelled post mid 60's.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/neswroute.html and not as http://lakelandrailway.blogspot.com/2010/11/at-its-peak.html?m=1 - sorry!

ETH - fitted to 45/1s late 60s onwards - the larger receptacle - which I assume is the connection box - is inside the buffer and is rather different to the Bachmann fitting

https://www.derbysulzers.com/45124thornaby87.jpg

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Fair enough, all the ones I had were sh1te. But no doubt they made 000s that were ok.

Wheels were the problem on early releases - once changed should be fine

I'm surprised the likes of extreme etchings haven't (to my knowledge) provided etches for the various small grilles on the peaks so they can be plated over / added to models to represent different class members. I know you can get the large rectangular body-side grilles, particularly those odd ball ones for 44009 / 44010.  

23 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Etched covers for boiler filler steps are on Brassmasters Class 24/5 frets

Phil

Phil, I just remembered there was actually a detailing kit donkeys years back for doing up the old Bachmann / replica / mainline peaks, which included the various grilles in brass. However, they were to suit the dimensions of the old models and I know that at least the angular lower bodyside grille was overscale and would look too big on the modern Bachmann model, therefore not appropriate. 

Cameron

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Would that be the Craftsman kit Cameron?

We used the etched doors from one on our D15

Phil

I do believe it was the Craftsman kit, don't know if any can still be found. You could also get white-metal buffer beams to add to the ends of the bogies, to replace the totally wrong body mounted ones!

You probably won't remember, but when you were exhibiting Abbotswood Jn at Toddington a few years back I was quizzing you on how you had done D15 - very impressed I was too! 

Cameron