Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47423 said:

The other thing i would like to request from Bachmann is that they do not come with printed names. In for the later years most of these Peaks carried one or no nameplates at all.

Etched plates and a fitting template would be a perfect solution to suit all models.

Badly fitted, badly glued nameplates have destroyed many a good model.

Good source for spare parts on ebay, but a waste of a model.

I would imagine those who don't have that experience (probably the majority) would prefer a printed nameplate, indeed Bachmann recalled / remade 45048 because the nameplates weren't printed.. leading to that market for unnamed 45048 bodies once they were disposed of.

Personally though I would agree, I prefer the nameplate being in the bag to self attach, as otherwise Ive nameplates to remove as well as numbers and they fetch a few quid on ebay.

Edited by adb968008

On 03/06/2019 at 19:24, Mophead45143 said:

So far on Bachmann cl. 45 models, the folding access panel has actually just been represented by printing, and not actually formed part of the moulding. If this is still the case, then a bit of t-cut will sort it out for a 46!

Interesting, it looks like only the blue split box 45s (45053/120) seem to have this printing. 45048 models did not and neither, surprisingly, did 45036. I would hope that the new 45s will include this feature either as a moulding or possibly as an etch.

Kevin

On 4 June 2019 at 14:12, adb968008 said:

Badly fitted, badly glued nameplates have destroyed many a good model.

Good source for spare parts on ebay, but a waste of a model.

I would imagine those who don't have that experience (probably the majority) would prefer a printed nameplate, indeed Bachmann recalled / remade 45048 because the nameplates weren't printed.. leading to that market for unnamed 45048 bodies once they were disposed of.

Personally though I would agree, I prefer the nameplate being in the bag to self attach, as otherwise Ive nameplates to remove as well as numbers and they fetch a few quid on ebay.

It should be easy for the printing to include the discoloured patches where the nameplates used to be - acting as a marker to use when glueing on the nameplate, or easily hidden by weathering for those who want the model to represent the period after the name was removed.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:20, 47423 said:

The other thing i would like to request from Bachmann is that they do not come with printed names. In for the later years most of these Peaks carried one or no nameplates at all.

Etched plates and a fitting template would be a perfect solution to suit all models.

From a personal viewpoint, and of the majority I suspect, the solution of having printed nameplates plus etched plates in the detail packs should one wish to use them is ideal. Like many, attaching fiddly detail is not something I love doing, and printed plates + etch supplied gives the option. I've also seen too many locos ruined through poor plate alignment. Perhaps those who wish for the alternative should canvass Bachmann to produce a run of 45's with no numbers OR plates printed, thus giving those who wish to create individual locos a blank canvas.

I'll go as far to say that my class 52 fleet is sadly lacking, due to the fact that Dapol do not issue standard locos with plates printed but with etched plates that the buyer is meant to attach, and I must admit that I regard this as either cost-cutting or laziness on Dapol's behalf. If you're going to produce a locomotive of a given identity, then do it, don't do a half job and expect the buyer to finish off something that should have been done when they bought it. In the class 52 case, the only ones I have are limited commissions where the plates are factory attached, for all the standard issues, as far as I am concerned, Dapol have lost sales.

On 02/06/2019 at 22:40, D1051 said:

Nose end doors in for improvement ? Or will we still have pre refurbish class 44 doors with vertical bar in  middle of door ? See my picture below

8358926_orig.jpg

I've flagged this as something to sort out if possible along with some others. We'll see.. not my decision. 

On 4 June 2019 at 11:20, 47423 said:

Yeh me too, easy to fit etched plates with modern glues if you want to. (Like glue and glaze, easy to wipe off the cock up bits) 

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Yeh me too, easy to fit etched plates with modern glues if you want to. (Like glue and glaze, easy to wipe off the cock up bits) 

I just use double sided tape, no issues at all with alignment, mess or changing your mind in the future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Administrators

In the large scale world, we use a smear of silicone sealant. Since many locos are named after wives, some people like to have the names easily removable. And with the price of a model being in 4 figures, the change needs to be made without damaging the paint.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I presume Bachmann has selected named examples for these limited editions because they think they will sell better, and they are probably correct. In that case, then I think a printed nameplate with the option of fitting an etched one over the top is the best solution. But that does assume the printed nameplate is very slightly smaller so it doesn't show round the edge.

Unfortunately that is not always the case. On more than one occasion (one being the recent Class 43 842 Royal Oak) Bachmann has printed the names too big! So in many ways I'd rather unnamed examples were produced where possible (as with the Peaks) and those who want specific examples can renumber and fit etched plates if they want.

Don’t know if it has already been mentioned but I noticed  yesterday at the GCR event that the sealed beam 45 in the display cabinet had a very faint headlight sized square between the marker lights, presumably indicating this is where the headlight goes when we do a 45/1. Should have taken a photo but it was so faint, and behind glass, that it may not have shown up in the picture.

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann model is still a good model and with good running qualities. However I do think it could (and should) be bettered by Heljan. I have no plans to offload my existing Bachmann peaks since a good model remains a good model even if a newer and better alternative is released but I do think I'll hold off buying more until I'm able to see the Heljan model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 12/06/2019 at 14:56, brushman47544 said:

I presume Bachmann has selected named examples for these limited editions because they think they will sell better, and they are probably correct. In that case, then I think a printed nameplate with the option of fitting an etched one over the top is the best solution.

I agree 'namers' are more attractive but printed plates certainly wouldn't be the best solution from my perspective/modelling era.

As already mentioned, many of these locos lost one or both plates around 1984/85 therefore having them printed on limits their timeframe despite Bachmann actively choosing locos that lasted to the end of the class in 1987/88.

Not having them printed but with optional etched plates would therefore appear to be the best solution in my opinion.

Edited by WILLIAM
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

I agree 'namers' are more attractive but printed plates certainly wouldn't be the best solution from my perspective/modelling era.

As already mentioned, many of these locos lost one or both plates around 1984/85 therefore having them printed on limits their timeframe despite Bachmann actively choosing locos that lasted to the end of the class in 1987/88.

Not having them printed but with optional etched plates would therefore appear to be the best solution in my opinion.

Agree but would prefer 022 to come with both printed and etched. Lytham St Anne’s was hand painted near the end of her career.

23 hours ago, 66738 said:

Agree but would prefer 022 to come with both printed and etched. Lytham St Anne’s was hand painted near the end of her career.

As was 046. But Royal Fusilier's painted name was on a blue background (with Tinsley white rose in place of the regimental badge). The actual 'plates had a red background when they had been in place (when loco was blue with sealed beams).

Will Bachmann print the name on blue? I doubt it.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

So a bit of fun for tonight ... here’s the latest loco to emerge from Churchdown works , still in gloss waiting transfers. Anyone care to have a stab at Loco identity....1970 is the year? 

FF7A26F9-5B6E-4D9B-924B-3FF48F2CCA1F.jpeg

662C1552-B733-4740-B9B9-66CF65FF5008.jpeg

E77E4FF0-8704-49B2-A628-CF23CE3941A5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2019 at 07:19, 66738 said:

Don’t know if it has already been mentioned but I noticed  yesterday at the GCR event that the sealed beam 45 in the display cabinet had a very faint headlight sized square between the marker lights, presumably indicating this is where the headlight goes when we do a 45/1. Should have taken a photo but it was so faint, and behind glass, that it may not have shown up in the picture.

889CF9CB-6384-459D-9352-156455B12C93.jpeg

On 18/06/2019 at 20:21, Phil Bullock said:

So a bit of fun for tonight ... here’s the latest loco to emerge from Churchdown works , still in gloss waiting transfers. Anyone care to have a stab at Loco identity....1970 is the year? 

FF7A26F9-5B6E-4D9B-924B-3FF48F2CCA1F.jpeg

662C1552-B733-4740-B9B9-66CF65FF5008.jpeg

E77E4FF0-8704-49B2-A628-CF23CE3941A5.jpeg

Well, it's still got water tanks and no air cylinders, but the bodyside steps are plated over, so one of the early upgrades  - a wild guess at D60 Lytham St.Annes?

• Like 1