Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Well, it's still got water tanks and no air cylinders, but the bodyside steps are plated over, so one of the early upgrades  - a wild guess at D60 Lytham St.Annes?

You are in the right area John.... but try something a bit more radical....

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

for those wishing for other models not previously seen in 00 before instead of another 45, remember this is only a mid-year reps special announcement that is not part of the big annual announcements ie; for the 2020 range.   in my view I am glad Bachmann are getting this out of the way now rather than making some big celebration of it next March as new some new/retooled 45 to pad out their new program list.  This stands a better chance of clearing the deck for something all new in coming year(s) such as the aforementioned 25kV AC EMU's (303/304/309/310/312) or early 81-84 Classes of loco etc.  Personally I think its about time we saw a first gen 3/4 car EMU.

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

This stands a better chance of clearing the deck for something all new in coming year(s) such as the aforementioned 25kV AC EMU's (303/304/309/310/312) or early 81-84 Classes of loco etc.  Personally I think its about time we saw a first gen 3/4 car EMU.

I know it is commonly used, but that phrase "first generation EMU" always makes me smile - history ignoring all the EMUS that went before...

Roy

12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

No - nor Fleetwood Mac!

Folk may well laugh, but for many years I assumed Fleetwood Mac were so named after the port in Lancashire. I also assumed 10cc came from California, rather than Stockport. I say many years, actually around four decades, until not that long ago I saw documentaries about both on the telly!

In the same spirit of total ignorance, I'll try D11, being a split headcode job with the centre doors, rebuilt early on with the single centre headcode panel that we can just see in Phil's photo.

John.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/06/2019 at 20:21, Phil Bullock said:

So a bit of fun for tonight ... here’s the latest loco to emerge from Churchdown works , still in gloss waiting transfers. Anyone care to have a stab at Loco identity....1970 is the year? 

FF7A26F9-5B6E-4D9B-924B-3FF48F2CCA1F.jpeg

662C1552-B733-4740-B9B9-66CF65FF5008.jpeg

E77E4FF0-8704-49B2-A628-CF23CE3941A5.jpeg

66B9819E-953F-4213-AEB8-8850D98C0896.jpeg

C2722363-2E04-4008-9B2B-FC1D2A1C416D.jpeg

B73E21A1-BC55-4CC4-9618-199808E60282.jpeg

BBC0F99A-F354-4ED4-95A0-2A94DF06D3C5.jpeg

On the nail John!

As you say - a rebuilt split boxer, nose end doors removed and centre headcodes installed

We started off with a Class 46 body shell and did the following...

Blanked off body side boiler filler foot steps

Removed bogie boiler filler foot steps

Replaced all moulded hand rails with wire

Added headboard clips and decent top lamp irons

Ran a blade along the nose grilles to eliminate the incorrect central rib

Respray and renumber 

Crew, headcodes and super detailing

Gives us another unique loco for Abbotswood ....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2019 at 17:52, Clive Mortimore said:

Very nice Lord Bullock of Abbotswood.

Are you going to do D15 in blue, with split head code boxes and nose doors?

See previous post Mr M!

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Wonderful, I can't wait to see her on the revised Abbotswood layout.

Cheers Clive

Mark Begley did her for us when the layout originally went out ....was that really 9 years ago? 

There is one thing with her I have been meaning to correct .... 

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Clive

Mark Begley did her for us when the layout originally went out ....was that really 9 years ago? 

There is one thing with her I have been meaning to correct .... 

Is it the air brake pipes or the lack of steps on the number two end bogie under the steps to the boiler fillers?

Edit I shouldn't be too critical, it far better than my conversion of a mainline Peak to D15, it still has its air brake tanks under the battery boxes.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Is it the air brake pipes or the lack of steps on the number two end bogie under the steps to the boiler fillers?

Thanks Clive I hadnt noticed the missing bogie steps - thats easy to fix, have some in spares box

But there is something else thats wrong....

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thanks Clive I hadnt noticed the missing bogie steps - thats easy to fix, have some in spares box

But there is something else thats wrong....

She should have long cab handrails.

She should also have control pipes for loco airbrakes when running in tandem, these are lower down and wider apart than the train air brakes. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

She should have long cab handrails.

Thats the one! Reckon she was still VB only in this condition and acquired dual brakes when her nose ends were rebuilt to same as D11 

And she does have air control pipes although they are probably too high and too far inboard

Edited by Phil Bullock
Additional info
  • Like 1

Both D11 and D15 look terrific Phil. There's something about old type numbering on a blue loco that really sets the pulses racing!

The whole issue of air control pipes I've found quite difficult on a number of classes. Photos often seem to show different numbers of same at different times, and of course that's only if you can find a photo clear enough to illuminate what is often a dark and dingy part of the loco.

It seems to me that in 4mm, unless we wish to indulge in extreme masochism, we have to accept that our buffer beams will at best be representational. If for example you look at a 37 and the myriad of pipes that are actually there, multiply by 2 and then by your number of locos, I think folk might agree. I also think a diesel looks bereft without some effort at bufferbeam pipework, just a personal view though which many others clearly don't share.

John.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/08/2019 at 21:03, cheesysmith said:

Would they still have had the bogie lubricating points in the bodyside?

Not something I had looked for before - thanks for pointing it out! D11s were plated over on checking....

Phil

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Both D11 and D15 look terrific Phil. There's something about old type numbering on a blue loco that really sets the pulses racing!

The whole issue of air control pipes I've found quite difficult on a number of classes. Photos often seem to show different numbers of same at different times, and of course that's only if you can find a photo clear enough to illuminate what is often a dark and dingy part of the loco.

It seems to me that in 4mm, unless we wish to indulge in extreme masochism, we have to accept that our buffer beams will at best be representational. If for example you look at a 37 and the myriad of pipes that are actually there, multiply by 2 and then by your number of locos, I think folk might agree. I also think a diesel looks bereft without some effort at bufferbeam pipework, just a personal view though which many others clearly don't share.

John.

Thanks for kind comments John. Certainly remember seeing D15 in that condition - think she was something of a Holbeck pet loco at the time. 

Peaks are not so bad to add the air control pipes to but have to agree with with on 37s....and thats why we put our own wire loops on the locos

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

I am one of the lucky people who bought 45048 from Modelzone for around £70. I also managed to get 45120 with split headcode boxes for £49.99. They were nearly sold out and mine is the one which was in the display cabinet. It isn't a 45/1 but has parts to make it one.

Usually I model the Southern but I do have a taste for peaks, plus I can justify one on Third Rail territory as there were a few visits as evidenced by Acg5324 of this parish's awesome site, 1S76.com (Thanks Andy and hello)

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v28/p27286131-3.jpg

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
A great big glaring typo...

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Usually I model the Southern but I do have a taste for peaks, plus I can justify one on Third Rail territory as there were a few visits as evidenced by Acg5324 of this parish's awesome site, 1S76.com (Thanks Andy and hello)

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v28/p27286131-3.jpg

Peaks were also regular performers on coal trains from the Midland Region into SE London / Kent. Can't recall the exact workings off hand. Saw them regularly at Clapham Junction coming off the Windsor lines.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a nosey in the Bachmann lounge at Warley yesterday and the current revised sealed beam sample was on display.

Warley NEC

Warley NEC

I didn't get much of a chance to lurk as my young son was getting restless to spend his pocket money. 

cheers Peter

• Like 4