Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

Hi all

I had a chat with one of the reps in the BCC members' club lounge yesterday.

There are two EPs  on display in the cases, the one shown above has the original trapezoid access panel below the long bodyside grille, which is correct for 45040/46/49.The other is identical except that it has the trapezoid grille in place of the panel, correct for 45022/41. Note that neither has the square moulding which was noted on an EP at a previous exhibition). Improvements noted include wire handrails on the noses (previously these were moulded), single-piece nose side grilles with hinges, a better representation of plated over footsteps (these appear to be moulded now rather than separate fittings), the rectangular access panel on one side is depicted by moulding rather than tampo printing and the holes above the bogie pivots on the bottom of the bodyside are correctly depicted as plated over. It was also confirmed that the loco will have working sealed beam marker lights and tail lights. This I believe covers all the improvements which were promised in a previous conversation with a one of his colleagues at DEMU. 

The plan for delivery has been moved back, so they are now looking at end of 2020 or possibly early 2021.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2019 at 10:42, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Sweeeet.  Just how I remember them.

I recalled them in BR Blue myself.

:D

Is it just me or are those door hinges on the nose a little over engineered ? I’m wondering what the holes are for either side of the door footstep.

Overall a nice set of upgrades, upgrading the handles to wire on the front makes a big difference.

Using plastic  grab rails either side of the doors may make sense, as the wire bent to shape isn't prototypical. The side grab handles were completely straight, with mountings 90 degree horizontal into the bodyside a few inches short of the top/bottom leaving a noticeable tail, like the new class 24, theyve got it right on that. Important as the handles were white and stand out.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, apollo 079 said:

Hi all

There are two EPs  on display in the cases, the one shown above has the original trapezoid access panel below the long bodyside grille, which is correct for 45040/46/49.The other is identical except that it has the trapezoid grille in place of the panel, correct for 45022/41. Note that neither has the square moulding which was noted on an EP at a previous exhibition). Improvements noted include wire handrails on the noses (previously these were moulded), single-piece nose side grilles with hinges, a better representation of plated over footsteps (these appear to be moulded now rather than separate fittings), the rectangular access panel on one side is depicted by moulding rather than tampo printing and the holes above the bogie pivots on the bottom of the bodyside are correctly depicted as plated over. It was also confirmed that the loco will have working sealed beam marker lights and tail lights. This I believe covers all the improvements which were promised in a previous conversation with a one of his colleagues at DEMU. 

The plan for delivery has been moved back, so they are now looking at end of 2020 or possibly early 2021.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Thanks for the info Kevin . I wonder when the Heljan ones are due? 

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/11/2019 at 13:31, apollo 079 said:

Hi all

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Have I missed something? This was posted in November suggesting slippage to end 2020/early 2021 and this is reflected on the Bachmann website, but the latest Collectors Club magazine which can’t have been written much more than 6 weeks ago says the the sealed beam 45s have been approved for production. Some they’re ready to go, but no production slot? If so, what hope for anything else coming up behind in the development process. And how well will they sell if Heljan gets in first with a better model.

Edited by brushman47544

It'd be nice if Heljan started using skew-wound motors - always a little difficult getting a good crawl start with an admittedly very-smooth-running Heljan.

Bachmann locos (and Hornby super detail) don't have this problem.

Al.

Guest Half-full
34 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It'd be nice if Heljan started using skew-wound motors - always a little difficult getting a good crawl start with an admittedly very-smooth-running Heljan.

Bachmann locos (and Hornby super detail) don't have this problem.

Al.

All my Heljan locos start with a very smooth crawl, never had a problem with them

7 hours ago, Half-full said:

All my Heljan locos start with a very smooth crawl, never had a problem with them

I'm sure they can crawl - I know they can tbh - once moving, but the 4 I have - 33, 35, 52, 58 - are super smooth in operation, once moving can be made to crawl well, but cannot start where you can hear the segment by segment smooth transition that you can with Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby Super Detail locomotives.

Heljan always need A LITTLE kick start first - this is because they use straight pole / wound motors not skew wound - that was the point.

As stated, once that 'little kick' to start (only minute but there is an obvious difference) then they can crawl with the others, are super smooth, and have very decent haulage capacity and speed as well - if required.

Not quite there.

Al.

Guest Half-full
11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I'm sure they can crawl - I know they can tbh - once moving, but the 4 I have - 33, 35, 52, 58 - are super smooth in operation, once moving can be made to crawl well, but cannot start where you can hear the segment by segment smooth transition that you can with Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby Super Detail locomotives.

Heljan always need A LITTLE kick start first - this is because they use straight pole / wound motors not skew wound - that was the point.

As stated, once that 'little kick' to start (only minute but there is an obvious difference) then they can crawl with the others, are super smooth, and have very decent haulage capacity and speed as well - if required.

Not quite there.

Al.

Got to say mine all crawl perfect from a standing start, 15/17/26/27/47/128 - I use DCC, standardising on Zimo decoders.  No extra kick need, run as smooth as the Bachmann models I have, and smoother than Dapol.  I don't have any central motored Hornby loco's to compare against

Edited by Half-full

• RMweb Gold

Are we talking about the difference between DC and DCC here? DCC will manage the start for you. Its the same with the Bachmann Class 43 Warships - like scalded cats on DC but a decent set of CVs on DCC will soon tame them....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

OK, I'm DC 'only' operated - perhaps this is why.

We shall politely agree to differ.

Al.

Yes that will be why - Heljan motors require a high starting current, on DCC they will blow some chips. So no disagreement ....

We just need to be sure folks are starting from the same place when describing issues....

The point I was making, and reiterated by everyone's mate Sam, is that the skew-wound motors in the Bachmann, Super Detail Hornby and later Dapol locomotives permit a segment-by-segment start.

The Heljan locomotives need 'a little more' then can be wound back a little. This is because of the armature selection - straight segments on the armature instead of near-overlapping skew ones on the others.

I'm operating DC using a HM2000 - not god's gift to controllers, but works well enough.

As you ease up to perhaps the 4th spot you'll get a buzz starting, indicating power received, then very carefully increase little-by-little.

Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol will start that 'super crawl', the Heljan not until a bit more, then it starts a little faster, which you ease back - by nature of the motor type alone.

Point I'm making very simply is that Heljan need to catch up on the motor types used.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve yet to see Inside body side strengtheners on Heljans Class 45.. very distinctive feature of the real thing, and the reason why they have that Lower body side trapezoid shaped grill.

Mainline, Replica and all Bachmann releases have this right.

if you don’t know what I mean, it’s those angular bars inside those grills on Bachmanns model above, I hope this is fixed, as without them, Heljans effort IMHO will all be for nought.

I've yet to bet on a horse in this race, I’m surprised Bachmann has stalled them, given we’re starved of class 45’s for so long  imho first past the post could win this race... it’s not as if there’s that many class 45 liveries, and after a couple people most will be job done.

Edited by adb968008

The highlight, apart from so many wheels, was that recessed triangulated bar set up ... very impressive at the time.

As a schoolboy, the hue didn't bother me that much at the time, but I suppose you're right.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Agree 1

Only saw a peak once at reading , and some at SP when my dad took me there just the once .

Ive 45036 , which has come up nice as my first airbrush experiment , and would be tempted to get one of the regional “ royal tank regiments “ ( cos I like tanks )but not unless the price is about £150,

Heljan not fussed with - they have as many misfires as hits 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In a surprise twist, I've just been notified that the first of the sales area limited edition 45's have arrived at Barwell! As you know they were originally expected in January of next year however their early arrival is a nice Christmas present. 

Speaking of Christmas, that will probably mess up the deliveries of these to your local retailers, quite when they will be arriving in stores is anyone's guess, but we could be lucky and get them before the big day!

Here's the Wales, West Midlands, West England & Ireland model, 45040:

bachmann-32-684DB-l.jpg.8e48fe91371cf79b57baa92130e130ef.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Derails Models said:

In a surprise twist, I've just been notified that the first of the sales area limited edition 45's have arrived at Barwell! As you know they were originally expected in January of next year however their early arrival is a nice Christmas present. 

Speaking of Christmas, that will probably mess up the deliveries of these to your local retailers, quite when they will be arriving in stores is anyone's guess, but we could be lucky and get them before the big day!

Here's the Wales, West Midlands, West England & Ireland model, 45040:

bachmann-32-684DB-l.jpg.8e48fe91371cf79b57baa92130e130ef.jpg

Oh heck, you've nearly cleaned me out in the last few weeks as it is :0

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

Oh heck, you've nearly cleaned me out in the last few weeks as it is :0

Sorry Tim....there's 94xx's to follow in the New Year too....

At the moment we don't accept limbs for payment but we could add that option online if required? ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3