Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

3 hours ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Antics have good prices on 45040 (123.20, sound 199.70) and 45049(129.95, sound 209.95) postage extra

Indeed they have, as I mentioned on here last Thursday (a couple of pages back) ;-)

Thought 45040 might be a pricing error but it was despatched same say (24th) and I’m expecting it tomorrow!

Yep, my 45040 arrived this morning and I'm very pleased with it. Despite also ordering 45022 and the fact the majority of peaks still had headcode boxes in my modelling period, I am tempted to get another!

Ok the Bachmann tooling doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but my god it looks and feels like a peak!

Cameron

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I am quietly pleased that Bachmann turned these out before the Heljan ones, they've taken a bit of a battering of late from other companies proposing  new models that compete with them and it looked like they were not able to fight back quickly enough, but perhaps the tide has now turned.

I do hope this means something is coming down the line in N gauge, nice Next18 chassis, speaker etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I am quietly pleased that Bachmann turned these out before the Heljan ones, they've taken a bit of a battering of late from other companies proposing  new models that compete with them and it looked like they were not able to fight back quickly enough, but perhaps the tide has now turned.

I do hope this means something is coming down the line in N gauge, nice Next18 chassis, speaker etc.

Hmmm, yes but they showed zero enthusiasm to re release a sealed beam one before Heljan announced theirs ? 

reactionary rather than proactively...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

35 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Hmmm, yes but they showed zero enthusiasm to re release a sealed beam one before Heljan announced theirs ? 

reactionary rather than proactively...

That's what I thought at first but now I'm not so sure. This has the feel of announcing something a little early that had probably been planned for a while.

Guy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Question is, is there a 25 and a 47 in redevelopment too?

Bachmann do have a 25/2 in development.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/class-25-2-d5282-br-two-tone-green-(small-yellow-panels)/32-341

I think thats going to be a crowded space, as its not a big leap for SLW to fill, and Heljan are about to deliver their own class 25 variants. 

That said, we are only 90 days away now, from the 30th anniversary of 1Z45 ... the last class 25 railtour... is 2021 year of the Rat ?

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Don't forget the 25/1 announced at the same time, both some 6 months before Heljan came in with their 25. So we can't really say Bachmann were being reactive considering they laid out their stall for the two main 25 body styles, and presumably will allow the boiler fitted 083-087 somewhere along the lines as well (still no 25/0 though, SLW?), considerably earlier than Heljan put their eggs into just one Rat nest.

• Agree 1

My second one 'Lytham St Annes' turned up today. Lovely looking loco although on mine I immediately spotted that the boiler port cover was missing one side - not loose in the box or anything so presumably left off when assembled. Anyhow I range TMC from whom it was bought, they are going to try and just send the part (taken off another loco I expect). It's the first Bachmann model I've bought in a while that had any sort of issue so I guess it's within the law of averages.

On 28/12/2020 at 15:34, adb968008 said:

The edge the Heljan model has, is indeed some pipe detail at the fuel tanks (on the under frame bogie sides, rather than visible body side. It also has a few isolating switches etc on the bottom of the body side, as well as the eth sockets on the front buffer beam and an orange pipe running between and under the buffers. There are also door hinges on the cabs.

A little pedance here - the BR/Sulzer 4s had their fuel tanks inside the bodyshell at the number 1 end with solebar level connections.  This made it a little more awkward for fitting staff to fuel them because they needed to climb up into the No 1 end cab, and through the bulkhead door to check the internal fuel gauge. The easy solution was to let the fuel fill the tanks, then when the fueller spotted the fuel trickling down from the roof mounted over flow valve the loco could be indentified as full

This spilt diesel on the bodysides was a recognisable feature of the BR/Sulzer 4s per this

https://farm66.static.flickr.com/65535/50211355721_3f5159463a.jpg

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Just run in my 45040 and it is a lovely model, but why oh why did Bachmann fit bright white LEDs? Really spoils the look of the lighting. It is not rocket science to specify different colours of LED to suit the prototype.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just run in my 45040 and it is a lovely model, but why oh why did Bachmann fit bright white LEDs? Really spoils the look of the lighting. It is not rocket science to specify different colours of LED to suit the prototype.

Roy

Yes I was going to put some yellow sweet rapping paper around LED ..... quality street to be exact 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Totally agree.

It's always been a problem - very unprotypical to see bright lights of any colour shade on older locos and DMUs. 

Despite using DCC and reducing brightness CVs to the very minimum, they are still way too bright.  On the real locos (apart from high density halogen headlights) lights were powered by tungsten bulbs which really just about glowed in the dark!

What I have done with all my Bachmann and Hornby diesels and first generation DMUs is to put a small piece of ordinary paper type masking tape over the lens and colour that with a black Sharpie pen.   Very "Heath Robinson" but it works!  And because the LED doesn't get warm the masking tape doesn't scorch! :)

PICT0036 (3).JPG

Edited by cravensdmufan
Additional wording
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/01/2021 at 11:39, adb968008 said:

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/class-25-2-d5282-br-two-tone-green-(small-yellow-panels)/32-341

I think thats going to be a crowded space, as its not a big leap for SLW to fill, and Heljan are about to deliver their own class 25 variants. 

That said, we are only 90 days away now, from the 30th anniversary of 1Z45 ... the last class 25 railtour... is 2021 year of the Rat ?

Without taking the topic any further off the 45, SLW have had plenty of time to produce a 25/1 or a 25/2 but as their intention is to go through the 24/25 family in order, it could be another 3-4 years before we see a 25 in any variant from SLW. One the Bachmann revised 25 appears it will render the Heljan model obsolete in terms of shape, DCC functionality, detail and finish. However this is all better discussed I think he relevant topics.

cheers

Shane

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Totally agree.

It's always been a problem - very unprotypical to see bright lights of any colour shade on older locos and DMUs. 

Despite using DCC and reducing brightness CVs to the very minimum, they are still way too bright.  On the real locos (apart from high density halogen headlights) lights were powered by tungsten bulbs which really just about glowed in the dark!

What I have done with all my Bachmann and Hornby diesels and first generation DMUs is to put a small piece of ordinary paper type masking tape over the lens and colour that with a black Sharpie pen.   Very "Heath Robinson" but it works!  And because the LED doesn't get warm the masking tape doesn't scorch! :)

PICT0036 (3).JPG

Brightness doesn't bother me too much as it is simple to stick a resistor in-line with the wire, but if it is the wrong colour you are left having to change the LED or get a filter in place.

Roy 

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Not so simple for me I'm afraid!  I'll stick to my tried and trusted method of the masking tape coloured with a felt pen!

taking advice from people on rmweb iv found clear Perspex (toy packing ect) and painted them with acrylic yellow in coats depending on each loco my western could do with a few more coats but it does me, i have left the 68 alone as they have LEDs anyway so actually they aint wrong really.

129533846_1324715011196002_7535889655974920337_n.jpg

131895206_1096108070817500_3849439090376772720_n.jpg

• Like 4