Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pictures with the really helpful explainations.

The jump start terminals made me smile - we have them on our buses too. Potential for a little spoof operation. Peak sitting on your layout, you hear the sound of the battery trying and failing to turn the engine over. Out of your fiddle yard rushes a AA or RAC liveried loco which stops by the Peak with the flat battery. Jumper cables get connected between to two locos, AA/RAC loco revs up, peak bursts into life. Jumper cables disconnect, AA/RAC loco scuttles back to fiddle yard.

I’ve got two Police liveried locos, perhaps I should do a RAC loco next!

50 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I need to stop modelling and buy a real one.

its the only way to be truly accurate.

:D

And as a owner you can replace with larger or smaller bolts, place rivets in new places and even weld up/remove access panels. You can give the rivet counter a massive hissy fit. At the end of the day no two loco’s are the same, you can only model the loco you prototype from. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Thanks for the pictures with the really helpful explainations.

The jump start terminals made me smile - we have them on our buses too. Potential for a little spoof operation. Peak sitting on your layout, you hear the sound of the battery trying and failing to turn the engine over. Out of your fiddle yard rushes a AA or RAC liveried loco which stops by the Peak with the flat battery. Jumper cables get connected between to two locos, AA/RAC loco revs up, peak bursts into life. Jumper cables disconnect, AA/RAC loco scuttles back to fiddle yard.

I’ve got two Police liveried locos, perhaps I should do a RAC loco next!

I jump started this with a Hyundai i10.....

005.JPG

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, D1051 said:

we were expected to outshop 45149 with a hand painted name via 3 shareholders ! But the GWR had a livery policy to adhere too so what you see conforms to the lines policy.

I know that mate I was joking :)

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 17:17, SouthernBlue80s said:

Probably a bit early doors for this question.

Has anyone tried removing the nameplate and factory fitted numbers yet and renumbering one?

I would be interested to find out if it is a of one where the numbers come of relatively easily.

Was just going to ask the same question, I had been thinking of a Heljan one as they do unnamed ones which is what I'd prefer.    If the nameplates come off the Bachmann ones I may plump for one of these.  I've always found Bachmann numbers easy enough to remove so am assuming these will be the same. However there was a photo earlier with a regiment version and a mark for want of a better expression for where the Crest went.  I'm guessing Lytham Saint Anne's may be the easiest to rename as there was no Crest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Was just going to ask the same question, I had been thinking of a Heljan one as they do unnamed ones which is what I'd prefer.    If the nameplates come off the Bachmann ones I may plump for one of these.  I've always found Bachmann numbers easy enough to remove so am assuming these will be the same. However there was a photo earlier with a regiment version and a mark for want of a better expression for where the Crest went.  I'm guessing Lytham Saint Anne's may be the easiest to rename as there was no Crest.

Yeh I got 2 of 45022 for that reason ..... not done it yet tho 

• Like 2

I received my sound 45040 version today, and to my untrained eyes & ears looks like a peak and sounds like one. 
After half an hour each way on the rolling road plus a good wheel clean (always amazes me how much crud comes off), it’s happily running around my layout. It’s also nice to see the wipers on the wheel backs unlike a few years ago with the 40, just a shame it’s only the four wheel pick up not the six. 

Just a few questions please,

Does it have cab lights as I can’t seem to find it on the function sheet?

Does anyone have the CVs numbers for headlight brightness & sound volume please?

It’s my first sound loco for a good number of years & it doesn’t seem to come with the normal CV sheet with all CV values. 
I had to tweak the deceleration rate as it seemed to take a age to slow down.  

thanks 

Stu

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

45041 arrived this afternoon and has just done it's 2 hours running in as per the leaflet (but not the standard maintenance sheet which says only a hour). Plates are just printed on with a set of etched to fit, only one has a crest.

IMG_20210104_191326342~2.jpg

Just received my 45041 too - a very nice model. A question though, did 45041 run in-service with a crest on one side only as per the model ?. My photos of the preserved 45041 shows a crest on both sides.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, pheaton said:

Do these new peaks still only pick up from 2 axles? or has that been improved?

Going by some of the above posts it’s still only two axles. Did you get yours sorted?

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, D1051 said:

the said crests were separate from the cast plate and in later years were prone to falling off 

I had a fairly quick look for photos of 45040 and I couldn't find any of it carrying crests when it had the sealed-beam front, making the model as offered by Bachmann right.

Other 45s will vary of course, and somebody will no no doubt point me to a photo of 45040 with crests ;).

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I had a fairly quick look for photos of 45040 and I couldn't find any of it carrying crests when it had the sealed-beam front, making the model as offered by Bachmann right.

Other 45s will vary of course, and somebody will no no doubt point me to a photo of 45040 with crests ;).

Roy

040 seems to have had a strange history with its nameplates. As you say it appears to have lost its crests by the late 70's and then the nameplates themselved after overhaul c. May 84 only for a nameplate with crest to reappear on one side only by September 84? (assuming the Flickr photograph dates are correct)

45040,Dawlish 45040 (D50) 15.09.1984