Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

On 04/01/2021 at 19:26, SouthernBlue80s said:

Let Waverly and myself know how you get on. Hope it goes smoothly.

I want two weathered banger blue unamed 45/0 s. But want to get the Bachmann model over the Heljan.

Name and number came of easy... just a cocktail stick. No need for any solvents 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Fox (smaller) vs Bachmann (larger). Question is, which one is more accurate?!  Bachmann one placed on model for test fit. 

Looking at the picture in the posting before yours seems to me say Bachmann have the size right

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Agree 1

On 04/01/2021 at 19:19, owentherail said:

Yeh I got 2 of 45022 for that reason ..... not done it yet tho 

The only problem with using 022 is not that many 45/0's had an open bottom grille. 

• RMweb Premium
On 06/01/2021 at 14:00, aureol40012 said:

Fox (smaller) vs Bachmann (larger). Question is, which one is more accurate?!  Bachmann one placed on model for test fit.  

5812260B-5424-4543-A634-432DCB49FA96.jpeg

AD7DD2D1-1A89-4477-A731-6A758E3339CD.jpeg

20 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Looking at the picture in the posting before yours seems to me say Bachmann have the size right

I'm not quite so sure. This side-on view on the derbysulzers website suggests a gap at each end before the grills https://images.app.goo.gl/5j2PGi4vRvwfNQSt5

We are also assuming the Bachmann model is dimensionally perfect at that point. Perhaps the space is slightly too long and the Fox nameplate is correct, whereas Bachmann has made theirs longer to look right.

Edited by brushman47544

4 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

I think 009 was aswell, but I'd have to check. Not many to go at though. I've seen a post on FB of a regular renumberer has got all the numbers and plates off easily off one of the regimental ones. 

Edited by 47423

37 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

45009 had the top bodyside small boiler grille exposed, bottom one under main grilles was plated over

Cheers, same body as 45048 then, maybe that's were I have that confused with :good_mini:

My 45040 arrived today and I am delighted.

Will see about getting crests for the nameplate as I would like these though a minor point (and as mention possibly not prototypical for as modelled).

Must give it a run soon and have a listen to the sounds.

Last nose-end variant for me will be 46020 when it emerges then I think I will have the full compliment!

Thank you kindly Bachmann

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

45040 was still carrying at least one plaque on 18th Aug 84, when I photographed it at Preston. 

Aug 84 15 (4).JPG

But wasn't carrying a crest on that side in many photos previous to that date. Here are some from August '83: Flickr photo and Another Flickr photo.

The crests seems to have led a transient life, appearing and disappearing regularly. It seems that with or without crests there are multiple time periods that may be represented.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2021 at 17:13, Tim Hall said:

45040 was still carrying at least one plaque on 18th Aug 84, when I photographed it at Preston. 

Aug 84 15 (4).JPG

Looks like the Victoria-Exchange platform at Manchester Victoria to me.

I don’t recall too many 45’s at Preston, they certainly did, but Trans penine was a predictable multiple daily haunt.. and so a dozen daily was possible.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

On 07/01/2021 at 18:13, owentherail said:

The one I'm remembering it to has ...... when I've found a pic of it on internet 

As a reminder from an earlier post of mine, all class 46s had the lower body panel replaced by a grille, as did 45008/19/22/6/41/56/102-9,12,4/21-2/34 and 45141. No peaks had the grille plated over, the lower bodyside grille was a modification.

Kevin 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Looks like the Victoria-Exchange platform at Manchester Victoria to me.

I don’t recall too many 45’s at Preston, they certainly did, but Trans penine was a predictable multiple daily haunt.. and so a dozen daily was possible.

I was wondering about that, couldn't work out what service it would have been on. Man Vic would make much more sense. I was on a North West Rover, staying with a railway friend in Warrington. Original posting corrected.

Edited by Tim Hall

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

I was wondering about that, couldn't work out what service it would have been on. Man Vic would make much more sense. I was on a North West Rover, staying with a railway friend in Warrington. Original posting corrected.

Most likely a Liverpool bound trans penine.

Edited by adb968008

The BR blue doesn’t seem to match up well with the historical model zone 45048 Royal Marine model and just to check I hadn’t let that stand out in the sunlight for too long my other older BR blue models like the 40145 limited edition model have this duller shade of blue

9CC37D0B-86D3-4DCA-AE91-A5D0D843A1E0.jpeg

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I mean this isn’t un heard of, the difference in colours between an original Bachmann br blue mk1 and a current release are light years apart. Annoying, but I’m sure someone could find some prototypical excuses. Noticed this when I put 049 and 048 next to each other. Wonder how the Heljan one will look next to them (colour wise) 

• Like 1