Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

On 07/01/2021 at 20:28, Opelsi said:

My 45040 arrived today and I am delighted.

Will see about getting crests for the nameplate as I would like these though a minor point (and as mention possibly not prototypical for as modelled).

Must give it a run soon and have a listen to the sounds.

Last nose-end variant for me will be 46020 when it emerges then I think I will have the full compliment!

Thank you kindly Bachmann

I fitted crests from Fox to mine, they look spot on!

340D300C-705F-4296-9175-CF1F65E5F4CE.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Got my last one from Derails today and put it at the side of Hornbys 87035 and it wasn't far off. It'll be interesting to see how different to Heljans blue it will be. I'll get a blue 33 out and compare it tomorrow. 

It looks ‘within tolerance’ in a line up of colours from different manufacturers. This was just what I had to hand from the cabinet, from left to right: Hornby, Vi Trains, Bachmann, Heljan.

Guy

D3899180-9C2B-4EDF-B1A1-A92AB9916B45.jpeg

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anybody here bought a sound fitted model and, if so, please could you let me know what decoder it has please?

I have three peaks with Legomanbiffo sound and was thinking of trying a factory fitted sound for a bit of variety. If it is a full fat Lokssound V5 then I can always reblow it if I am not happy.

Thanks,

Roy

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Has anybody here bought a sound fitted model and, if so, please could you let me know what decoder it has please?

I have three peaks with Legomanbiffo sound and was thinking of trying a factory fitted sound for a bit of variety. If it is a full fat Lokssound V5 then I can always reblow it if I am not happy.

Thanks,

Roy

Not sure on what it is, but I love the shunt function on it!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks,

Roy

If you look at Digitrains YouTube channel they have added a clip of the 45. Sounded good to my ears :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thanks,

Roy

Being a 40 Basher back in the day, it was one of our ‘sworn enemies’, but it looks like a Peak and sounds like one, it even thrashes (for a Peak ha) like one.
I’ve never had drivelock or coast function on any of my sound locos but enjoyed playing around with that. 
Not worked out yet how to dim the lights or turn the sound down (F19 doesn’t seem to work using my NCE handheld controller). I did need to trim accelerating & deceleration as it would seem to take an age to stop. This was before I worked out that F2 is (brake) so might re assign original values to see what happens.

All in all very happy with it. 

Stu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Being a 40 Basher back in the day, it was one of our ‘sworn enemies’, but it looks like a Peak and sounds like one, it even thrashes (for a Peak ha) like one.
I’ve never had drivelock or coast function on any of my sound locos but enjoyed playing around with that. 
Not worked out yet how to dim the lights or turn the sound down (F19 doesn’t seem to work using my NCE handheld controller). I did need to trim accelerating & deceleration as it would seem to take an age to stop. This was before I worked out that F2 is (brake) so might re assign original values to see what happens.

All in all very happy with it. 

Stu

Were you in MAWG (Merseyside anti-Wagon Group) like me?!

10 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hi Roy,

Yes. CV8 reads 151 so it’s definitely ESU and not Zimo.

Is there a way to tell which ESU chip it is just by reading CVs?

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lyneux said:

Hi Roy,

Yes. CV8 reads 151 so it’s definitely ESU and not Zimo.

Is there a way to tell which ESU chip it is just by reading CVs?

Guy

Thanks Guy. 

CV 7 was, I believe intended to allow you to find out the decoder version, but ESU seem to set it to 255 in all the recent Loksound chips. 

Only other way I know is to look at the chip, which means having the body off which of course many people don’t want to do. 

Cheers,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Ok, I was struggling with Lenz and JMRI to read the decoder type so I opened up and set up my new Digikeijs DR5000 back-up DCC system that came before Christmas (purchased before Brexit lol!). 

A bit of fiddling and the decoder type identifies as a "Loksound V5 DCC" in the latest version of JMRI with the Digikeijs command station.

There you have it! It's a V5!

Guy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, lyneux said:

Hi Roy,

Ok, I was struggling with Lenz and JMRI to read the decoder type so I opened up and set up my new Digikeijs DR5000 back-up DCC system that came before Christmas (purchased before Brexit lol!). 

A bit of fiddling and the decoder type identifies as a "Loksound V5 DCC" in the latest version of JMRI with the Digikeijs command station.

There you have it! It's a V5!

Guy

Superb, many thanks. 45022 sound fitted to be ordered tomorrow then. Will join 45040, 45048 and 97403 as my sealed-beam peaks.

Having thought about your reply more (now it is not late at night!) - if the DCC version is fitted as JMRI is reporting, it is my understanding that these models will not run on DC.

Is that made clear anywhere? If so, I have not noticed such a statement.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

13 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Were you in MAWG (Merseyside anti-Wagon Group) like me?!

Ha no, we were the North Wales anti anything that strummed, didn’t whistle & didn’t have the number 555 on it...

My 45040 on my layout seems to have taken root on The Bangor instead of a no heat 40, I’m hoping it doesn’t get ‘butterflied’ as (I know) 40141 is sitting in Junction yard on the Amlwch Tanks....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2021 at 07:57, lyneux said:

It looks ‘within tolerance’ in a line up of colours from different manufacturers. This was just what I had to hand from the cabinet, from left to right: Hornby, Vi Trains, Bachmann, Heljan.

Guy

D3899180-9C2B-4EDF-B1A1-A92AB9916B45.jpeg

Thank god they are not yellow or mustard coloured :)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2021 at 23:11, Roy Langridge said:

Superb, many thanks. 45022 sound fitted to be ordered tomorrow then.

45022 arrived yesterday and the sound is the best Bachmann factory sound I have heard (ok, limited to about five but nonetheless good). The sound functions available include some that I am not used to having on my usual  Legomanbiffo sounds (AWS, windscreen etc.) but are also missing some that I would have expected (compressor, fans etc.)

The speaker sounds pants, but that was expected and will be replaced in due course.

At some point I will see how well Bachmann and Legomanbiffo versions play together and if they are speed matched.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

On 19/01/2021 at 09:25, Roy Langridge said:

45022 arrived yesterday and the sound is the best Bachmann factory sound I have heard (ok, limited to about five but nonetheless good). The sound functions available include some that I am not used to having on my usual  Legomanbiffo sounds (AWS, windscreen etc.) but are also missing some that I would have expected (compressor, fans etc.)

The speaker sounds pants, but that was expected and will be replaced in due course.

At some point I will see how well Bachmann and Legomanbiffo versions play together and if they are speed matched.

Roy

Given your comments, what would your preference be? To buy from Bachmann with sound fitted or buy non-sound and add a sound decoder of your choice?

Unless  its too early to say as it sounds like it has only just arrived.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Given your comments, what would your preference be? To buy from Bachmann with sound fitted or buy non-sound and add a sound decoder of your choice?

If I didn’t have sound I would buy non-sound and fit Legomanbiffo sounds. I only went the sound fitted route to have something sounding slightly different as I already have two that I have done myself.  

Hope that helps. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2021 at 21:41, APT Fan said:

Sound works out as a ~£60 upgrade on the base model if you go with Bachmann sound. A Loksound decoder could set you back ~£120.

I am happy with the Bachmann sound, but will of course replace the speaker, as I would do with a Loksound anyway.