Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, GraemeWatson said:

Sound works out as a ~£60 upgrade on the base model if you go with Bachmann sound. A Loksound decoder could set you back ~£120.

I am happy with the Bachmann sound, but will of course replace the speaker, as I would do with a Loksound anyway.

Depends what loco you want and whose sounds. Some are around £80-£90 higher (45041/45046/45049) than the non-sound version. By the time you then change the speaker and buy a sound file, you are looking at a very similar price. If you are going for Legomanbiffo sounds you are not getting a voucher (value around £10) if you only buy the sounds but would if you buy the decoder. That, for me, would make it just a slightly more expensive option to buy sound fitted and change sounds. 

If I get another new Peak, then I will probably fit my own.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Ordered some of Fox's plates for 45041 as I want it named both sides, everyone annoyingly only offers them in grey so accepted the need to paint them but the crests are awful, worse than the Bachmann one and offset to one side of the crest plate:(

The crests for 45040 aren’t great either. I was planning on putting one on one side so could cover different periods, but hey ho. 

Roy

On 19/01/2021 at 09:25, Roy Langridge said:

45022 arrived yesterday and the sound is the best Bachmann factory sound I have heard (ok, limited to about five but nonetheless good). The sound functions available include some that I am not used to having on my usual  Legomanbiffo sounds (AWS, windscreen etc.) but are also missing some that I would have expected (compressor, fans etc.)

The speaker sounds pants, but that was expected and will be replaced in due course.

At some point I will see how well Bachmann and Legomanbiffo versions play together and if they are speed matched.

Roy

Sorry to bother you again, when you say 'play together' is that for double heading? Also I don't understand why they would be speed matched?

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Sorry to bother you again, when you say 'play together' is that for double heading? Also I don't understand why they would be speed matched?

No problem, this is what the forum is here for...

Yes, "play together" would be for double heading.  Decoders have speed table (DCC Wiki) which says how fast a loco goes for each power step on a controller.  If they are not speed matched then one will try to do a different speed to the other. If they are too different, this leads to strain on the mechanisms and motors.

Roy

5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

No problem, this is what the forum is here for...

Yes, "play together" would be for double heading.  Decoders have speed table (DCC Wiki) which says how fast a loco goes for each power step on a controller.  If they are not speed matched then one will try to do a different speed to the other. If they are too different, this leads to strain on the mechanisms and motors.

Roy

I just wasn't sure why they would be speed matched given that one is supplied by Bachmann, the other by Lego? It sounds like they both use the Loksound v5, so would it just be a question of going through the CVs 2/5/6 to see if they match? My 56 has a v5 fitted and I've noticed that there is a delay whilst it goes through the startup sequence before it takes off, it isn't a Lego soundfile. I think even when idling, it only takes off after the brake releases, which seems fair enough I suppose. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, APT Fan said:

I just wasn't sure why they would be speed matched given that one is supplied by Bachmann, the other by Lego? It sounds like they both use the Loksound v5, so would it just be a question of going through the CVs 2/5/6 to see if they match? My 56 has a v5 fitted and I've noticed that there is a delay whilst it goes through the startup sequence before it takes off, it isn't a Lego soundfile. I think even when idling, it only takes off after the brake releases, which seems fair enough I suppose. 

It may be that one has chosen to speed match the other, or they may be different. They will probably be different, but I need to know so that I don't try to double head an unmatched pair.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit of fun this evening...

324C6E2B-7B3D-4DC4-A9C4-85F123EE8113.jpeg.f6a092ba3d6d15148b8b6757de9cc2ec.jpeg

base model is 45022 (with the grill).

Removed the TI shed code, Lytham St Annes Nameplates, an OHLE (on the otherside) plus a renumber

i’m trying to find a retailer selling Royal Fusilier at a normalized price, for some reason it seems to be higher than the others, i’m after 2 of them (45059 /45069 ) plus maybe an extra one to keep as is.

Peaks look really nice without names too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i’m trying to find a retailer selling Royal Fusilier at a normalized price, for some reason it seems to be higher than the others

Lack of major discounting box shifters in the selling area?

A quick google search implies £143.99 is possibly the cheapest but then their is an added £5.99 postage

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Lack of major discounting box shifters in the selling area?

A quick google search implies £143.99 is possibly the cheapest but then their is an added £5.99 postage

What are the sound chips / speakers worth in these ?

I’m wondering if its more cost effective to buy sound ones and dispose of the sound.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

What are the sound chips / speakers worth in these ?

I’m wondering if its more cost effective to buy sound ones and dispose of the sound.

They are full fat Loksound V5 DCC - so probably going to get around the £80-90 mark on ebay.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2021 at 14:12, aureol40012 said:

You can’t beat weight and brute force when it comes to snow plough duties.

45040 on the Buxton snowplough.

Brilliant video, imagine what a pair of Hattons 66’s would do ....

they’d clear the snow, take out the fence as well.. but the axle boxes would ping off and be hiding in the tunnel.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 47423 said:

Can anyone tell me if 45046 comes with the original etched plates included. 

Thanks. 

Ive had 45022/40/41 so far all had etched plates, so i’d assume they all do.

Edited by adb968008

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive had 45022/40/41 so far all had etched plates, so i’d assume they all do.

I have them all bar 46 which do, but as 46 has the painted Tinsley nameplate I had wondered. It's information for someone else who was interested, I said I would ask on here. 

7 hours ago, 47423 said:

I have them all bar 46 which do, but as 46 has the painted Tinsley nameplate I had wondered. It's information for someone else who was interested, I said I would ask on here. 

Ok here goes, 022 comes with red backed nameplates, no backing etch as obviously LSA did not have crests. 040 comes with red backed 'plates, blue back panel but no crests. 041 comes with blue backed plated with blue backing panel but only one has a crest. O46 comes with blue backed 'plates plus backing panel but no crests. Finally 049 has red backed 'plates with blue backing panel and both crests.

Also of note 040 has no electrification flashes, 041, 046 and 049 have cab door handle back plates picked out in silver, the other two are blue. And of course 022 and 041 have the additional trapezoid grille below the long body grille, as per prototype.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
Correction.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

22 minutes ago, apollo 079 said:

Ok here goes, 022 comes with red backed nameplates, no backing etch as obviously LSA did not have crests. 040 comes with red backed 'plates, blue back panel but no crests. 041 comes with blue backed plated with blue backing panel but only one has a crest. O46 comes with blue backed 'plates plus backing panel but no crests. Finally 049 has red backed 'plates with blue backing panel and both crests.

Also of note 040 has no electrification flashes, 041, 046 and 049 have cab door handle back plates picked out in silver, the other two are blue. And of course 022 and 041 have the additional trapezoid grille below the long body grille, as per prototype.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Thank you, Ive passed the information on :good_mini:

3 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Can anyone please advise me on an issue I have with my sound 45040.  Unlike my other locos, the peak when throttle is shut down to zero from running at 50% takes ages to stop on track, I am talking by a number of feet, compared to my other locos which stop within 12 inches.  Is this a feature to try to give prototypical running or is it a known thing with Bachmann locos? 

Do the new peak sound files have manual braking on function 2?

If they do then shutting down the throttle will not apply any braking force and the loco will coast gently down to a stop, just as the real thing

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Thanks Steuyboy43, had forgotten about the braking, which caught me out when I first ran it.  Will give that a run and see if I can actually stop at the station for a change!!

Just like the real thing - Making them go is easy.... stopping in the right place is another matter entirely!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Just like the real thing - Making them go is easy.... stopping in the right place is another matter entirely!

ill second that...with no less than 24 brake cylinders they are by far the most docile locomotive ive ever known when it comes to stopping...

• Funny 1