Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

23 hours ago, Opelsi said:

Think I have managed to complete my full line up of BR Blue 'Peak' headcode variations .

Left to right, Class 44 / 2x Class 45 / Class 46 / Class 45

Would love the oddball 44009 if tooling allowed for it, collectors club special anyone?

Sure I once saw a photo of a Class 45 with clear round lenses fitted (Class 47 style), anyone familiar with that or any other different nose end arrangements?

P1030961.JPG

P1030962.JPG

P1030963.JPG

P1030964.JPG

P1030965.JPG

P1030966.JPG

I had a go at 44009 in it's 1977 - 78 condition with domino's and no nameplates, and before the bufferbeams were painted red. I must admit I actually found the grilles more awkward than swapping the nose over, as they aren't as long as the molded ones on the Bachmann body! 

Shawplan now do the etched grilles for 44009 / 010, which will be a little finer than the older ones I used here (Craftsman?). 

Nose was off a spare 45114 body on ebay, probably purchased for less than £10 at the time. 

P.S. At some point, I will get around to swapping the cab handrails to the shorter class 45 versions on the No. 1 end!

936021437_44009a.JPG.7b01f8e81f1cbf4db598bd4dfa5a7072.JPG

515258011_44009b.JPG.7590fc82bcf6214e06f7fed2cd84620f.JPG

Cameron

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

It’s a real shame Bacchy didn’t make the Peak body with separate nose ends like 37 and 40 …. Although perhaps a join behind the cab doors may have been easier… as per the prototype 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 30/07/2021 at 07:51, Mophead45143 said:

I'd put money on them being exactly the same tooling. Unfortunately I can't see Bachmann revisiting the different peak variants and brining them up to scratch. A lot of customers won't even know the nose end grilles / lamp irons are wrong. 

It's taken them long enough to revisit and upgrade the much in demand marker light peak, and even then they went for the 45/0 rather than a 45/1, and with no upgrade to the chassis / buffer beam detail. 

Cameron

What specifically is wrong with the non-sealed-beam tooling out of interest? I was looking forward to 45060 Sherwood Forrester coming out, but unless the errors are easy to correct, it might be better to fit headcode boxes to one of the sealed beam models instead?

Cheers,

Liam

Edited by Pillar

On 01/08/2021 at 07:56, Opelsi said:

Think I have managed to complete my full line up of BR Blue 'Peak' headcode variations .

Would love the oddball 44009 if tooling allowed for it, collectors club special anyone?

Sure I once saw a photo of a Class 45 with clear round lenses fitted (Class 47 style), anyone familiar with that or any other different nose end arrangements?

P1030961.JPG

P1030962.JPG

P1030963.JPG

P1030964.JPG

P1030965.JPG

P1030966.JPG

Wasn't there a 46 With a Deltic style marker lights?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Primarily it's the moulded grab rails on the nose, which are common to all previous peak models and the split nose side grilles which are correct for early models but wrong for later versions. Also the bodyside hatch on one side is tampo printed on 45060 but is included in the moulding of the sealed beam version. Also the bogie pivot oil filler holes are deleted on the sealed beam model and the lower bodyside access panel (the one which was replaced by a grille on 20 class 45s and all 46s) is much better represented on the new sealed beam model, except for 45022 and 041 which correctly have the grilles instead.

Had 46020 been sealed beams instead of domino headcodes, they might have used the new tooling if they could somehow delete the bodyside hatch mentioned above, as 46s didn't have them.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, apollo 079 said:

Primarily it's the moulded grab rails on the nose, which are common to all previous peak models and the split nose side grilles which are correct for early models but wrong for later versions.

The first two are easily sorted with a bit of modelling …. See D25 and 64 above, well worth doing

• Like 1

On 01/08/2021 at 07:56, Opelsi said:

P1030961.JPG

P1030962.JPG

P1030963.JPG

P1030964.JPG

P1030965.JPG

P1030966.JPG

The oddball headcode 45 was 45019 which had a blanked off headcode panel with grommeted white lenses at no2 end for a while following collision damage. The only pic I can find of it is in Profile of the Peaks , introduction page. Some lovely presflos in the background too. There was a class 40 which had the same conversion, this being 40158, also at no2 end.

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
Typo

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, apollo 079 said:

The oddball headcode 45 was 45019 which had a blanked off headcode panel with grommeted white lenses at no2 end for a while following collision damage. The only pic I can find of it is in Profile of the Peaks , introduction page. Some lovely presflos in the background too. There was a class 40 which had the same conversion, this being 40158, also at no2 end.

Kevin

Not my image/flickr

Leaving Carlisle.

it was eventually removed when it became a sealed beam peak.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pillar said:

What specifically is wrong with the non-sealed-beam tooling out of interest? I was looking forward to 45060 Sherwood Forrester coming out, but unless the errors are easy to correct, it might be better to fit headcode boxes to one of the sealed beam models instead?

Cheers,

Liam

As per Kevin & Phils answers, the only actual errors are the nose end grilles which are split and bolted on (should be single piece and hinged for the 1970's / 1980's), and the bogie pivot oil filler holes which should be welded over. Neither are hard to resolve though. 

Everything else is correct, just a bit dated in terms of detail. Eg, moulded handrails, tampo printed hatch on one side etc.

Cameron

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

As per Kevin & Phils answers, the only actual errors are the nose end grilles which are split and bolted on (should be single piece and hinged for the 1970's / 1980's), and the bogie pivot oil filler holes which should be welded over. Neither are hard to resolve though. 

Everything else is correct, just a bit dated in terms of detail. Eg, moulded handrails, tampo printed hatch on one side etc.

Cameron

I should clarify, this is in relation to the split headcode class 45's.

The centre / split and centre / solid class 45's and 46's have the incorrect class 44 style lamp iron on the top of the nose and are missing the two headboard clips. 

I hope Opelsi won't mind that I have used this photo to illustrate this. The split box 45 on the left is correct, however the one in the middle and on the right are not. 

image.png.cc479f6da5aff85fc3e0a413e3aae9c4.png

Cameron

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...

Here is the first of several of my Peak fleet, a backdate and renumber. New headcodes made up using the plastic tray from Bachmann wagons and Precision Label headcode digits, then new lenses cut and trimmed to squares. I also disable the headcode/tail lighting as Bachmann have deleted the on/off facility, just bent the 3 connectors up.

30 pic 1.jpg

30 pic 2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Very nice Bob. Have you looked at replacing those moulded front hand rails with wire? Makes a big difference on top of your excellent work

I will certainly have a go on the next one, I also have the 3d print for the bogie pivot detail from Westhill Wagon Works. However I do wonder about it's practicality and fowling on curves. Link https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/locomotive-parts-c-26/class-44-45-46-detailed-bogie-steam-heat-pipe-set-bogie-detail-oo-gauge-p-268 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, w124bob said:

I will certainly have a go on the next one, I also have the 3d print for the bogie pivot detail from Westhill Wagon Works. However I do wonder about it's practicality and fowling on curves. Link https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/locomotive-parts-c-26/class-44-45-46-detailed-bogie-steam-heat-pipe-set-bogie-detail-oo-gauge-p-268 

Yes saw that and will probably try it on the next Peak I do

The Westhill kit contains all the gray parts to do one loco(the yellow bits are the jacking points courtesy of Extreme Etchings) but there are no instruction so the link has photos. I also had a good look at the Brian Daniels site on Flickr as he has lots of closeup shots of various locos. Class 45 link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157626904268595

Class 46

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/albums/72157627028996868

It's also worth checking his O gauge models as some of the images are also helpful, see page 4 of his site.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

After prompting from Phil I've now modified the nose end hand grabs, non of the buffer beam pipe work is Baccy. Main res pipes are just thin single core wire, vac pipe is good old guitar steel wire (flea bay £2.95 for a set) steam pipe is from the Dapol Western and airbrake pipe is from that famous box of left overs we've all got! There is glazing in front of the 3E. See Dewsbury Midland for more piccies soon.

Peak 30 pic5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Bob…. Peaks always look solid and purposeful, your work has enhanced this! We have D94 (BFYE) and D105 (BSYP) in works and a Heljan D15 on order …. Will be interesting to compare.

Edited by Phil Bullock

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Looking good Bob…. Peaks always look solid and purposeful, your work has enhanced this! We have D94 (BFYE) and D105 (BSYP) in works and a Heljan D15 on order …. Will be interesting to compare.

Cheers, Phil. Only another 6 to do, D1, D165 both green SYE and 4 blue Gateshead Derby type4's! D186 is the base model for 3 whilst the current headcode class 46 will get a backdate. I should really make a jig for the wire bending. 

• Like 1

On 19/10/2021 at 09:36, w124bob said:

Has anyone got any experience running peaks with these fitted, i.e. do they cause any issues on curves / points?

Considering buying some for my fleet, but with 26 peaks on the roster it's not going to be cheap!!!

Regards,

Cameron

1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

Has anyone got any experience running peaks with these fitted, i.e. do they cause any issues on curves / points?

Considering buying some for my fleet, but with 26 peaks on the roster it's not going to be cheap!!!

Regards,

Cameron

Yes, I have them fitted to mine. No problems over points, my min radius is 30 inches, no problems fouling etc. They make a difference to gap between body and bogie, looking much better.   Looking at photos though the pipes at the rear of the bogie don't look to be too accurate.  Next job is to fit shawplan brackets.  

• Like 1