Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

I do believe it was the Craftsman kit, don't know if any can still be found. You could also get white-metal buffer beams to add to the ends of the bogies, to replace the totally wrong body mounted ones!

You probably won't remember, but when you were exhibiting Abbotswood Jn at Toddington a few years back I was quizzing you on how you had done D15 - very impressed I was too! 

Cameron

Cheers Cameron.

You are right - memory gets worse am afraid! Thanks for the kind comments - Toddington was a great place to take the layout, we will be back.... Still need to change the cab door handrails on D15 though for the early longer and flat version as fitted to D1 - 10.

There are now some very nice looking 3d printed buffer beams on Ebay....

Phil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SHerr said:

Somehow I’m thinking the Bachmann body that went on eBay for £130 a few days ago might not sell!

GOOD! 

I hope that  we also get another batch of Clans and diesel brake tenders very soon to undercut the people demanding absurd prices of £280 and £65 respectively for them on eBay. 

Edited by D9001
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

This link will be useful for those that want to know how to convert a Bachmann peak into a 45/1, in this case with marker lights and high intensity headlight.

http://www.45133.co.uk/uploads/2/2/3/1/22313750/converting_a_bachmann_class_45_model_to_45133.pdf

But what’s the point of converting a Bachmann 45 to a 45/1 at this stage ?

The bits will cost you more than the difference between it and a rtr unnumbered Heljan one with or without the headlight ?

This isn’t anew tooling, indeed I suspect many who wanted a 45/1 will have already done so, I’ve been buying up cheap 45114’s and grabbing its chassis for a few years to upgrade Replica/Bachmann ones.

we don’t know when the Bachmann ones are due yet, but they are going to need to move faster than they’ve moved at any point in the last 5 years to out manoeuvre Heljan.

I only hope there truly is enough demand for them. There’s a difference between demand and frustration, Ive been of the opinion the prices of 45048 have been frustration than demand... after all no one is raving comments in the last few days about the headcode fitted Heljan ones... only sealed beam.

once those gaps are fulfilled how many variants / liveries of a sealed beam 45 can they offer in the long term ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In a sad way history is repeating itself, in that Bachmanns rapid response to Limas demise, in the 90’s and gobbling up the 08,20,37,40,42,(44,45,46 - first blood taking Lima out b4 they were in), 47,55 & 66 is slowly being repeated again..

They only have 20,40 & 42 that are “safe” from threats and i’d consider eyes are on the 20.

i’m surprised No ones yet bought the ViTrains 37/47 toolings and shipped them to China, there’s not much to fault wrong with the models themselves.

The 1990’s headcode 31 and sealed beam 45/0/1 & 46 are the last great battle grounds of BR diesel traction in rtr 00 to be fulfilled... indeed they are the biggest “holes” in my collection..I’ve 7 Mainline/Replica sealed beam peaks to replace...and 31’s will require selling family members to upgrade the qty of Lima ones I have.

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

In a sad way history is repeating itself, in that Bachmanns rapid response to Limas demise, in the 90’s and gobbling up the 08,20,37,40,42,(44,45,46 - first blood taking Lima out b4 they were in), 47,55 & 66 is slowly being repeated again..

They only have 20,40 & 42 that are “safe” from threats and i’d consider eyes are on the 20.

i’m surprised No ones yet bought the ViTrains 37/47 toolings and shipped them to China, there’s not much to fault wrong with the models themselves.

The 1990’s headcode 31 and sealed beam 45/0/1 & 46 are the last great battle grounds of BR diesel traction in rtr 00 to be fulfilled... indeed they are the biggest “holes” in my collection..I’ve 7 Mainline/Replica sealed beam peaks to replace...and 31’s will require selling family members to upgrade the qty of Lima ones I have.

Yes, the 31’s are the only items missing for me.

A 31 in Railfreight (no red stripe) and a 31/4 in blue have been on my wish list for a long time. They will come one day. The 45/1 has. Lots of Patience required.

51 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

But what’s the point of converting a Bachmann 45 to a 45/1 at this stage ?

The bits will cost you more than the difference between it and a rtr unnumbered Heljan one with or without the headlight ?

This isn’t anew tooling, indeed I suspect many who wanted a 45/1 will have already done so, I’ve been buying up cheap 45114’s and grabbing its chassis for a few years to upgrade Replica/Bachmann ones.

we don’t know when the Bachmann ones are due yet, but they are going to need to move faster than they’ve moved at any point in the last 5 years to out manoeuvre Heljan.

I only hope there truly is enough demand for them. There’s a difference between demand and frustration, Ive been of the opinion the prices of 45048 have been frustration than demand... after all no one is raving comments in the last few days about the headcode fitted Heljan ones... only sealed beam.

once those gaps are fulfilled how many variants / liveries of a sealed beam 45 can they offer in the long term ?

Many people may have Bachmann models lying around that they do not wish to sell, like myself. I haven't  converted all my intended 45/1's yet, and I found that link very useful before I started. I'm sure other people will too. Ignoring the 'sealed beam' variant, I converted a handful of headcode fitted 45/1's for virtually no cost at all using this method. I'm not going to ditch my Bachmann peaks just because a new model has been announced.

With the class 25's it's different, the Bachmann model has obvious shape issues that need major work to resolve. Selling these and replacing them with the Heljan model is a no brainier. But as I've said before, the Bachmann peak is a good base model with no shape issues that I am aware of, and if it only takes a little bit of modelling to get the prototype you want to model (which you'd probably have to do anyway because there were so many detail differences), for some people that's worth it.

Many may want to sell their Bachmann models in favour of the new Heljan model, fair play, Bachmann have left the goal open. And of course I realise some people won't want to do conversions, I understand that, buts it's nice to know there's options for people who do.

As far as due dates, I think the Bachmann model will be pushed through quicker being a sales exclusive item, but don't hold me to that.

I share your sentiment regarding demand, it would be sad to see models sat on shelves. Had a model already been produced by Bachmann years ago in the mainstream catalogue then it would have done well, but in an arms race against a new tooling, well that's a different story.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

Many people may have Bachmann models lying around that they do not wish to sell, like myself. I haven't  converted all my intended 45/1's yet, and I found that link very useful before I started. I'm sure other people will too. Ignoring the 'sealed beam' variant, I converted a handful of headcode fitted 45/1's for virtually no cost at all using this method. I'm not going to ditch my Bachmann peaks just because a new model has been announced.

True, but then the new announcement, by Bachmann or Heljan is of no interest.

my sealed beam peaks (7 x45 and 3x 46) are Replica bodies on 45114 chassis’s with mods +45048. After 30 years the time to upgrade is nigh !

I passed the chance to upgrade 45114’sto sealed beams as that DCC ready 2000’s body had all kinds of issues (oversized nose grills, missing nose seam, nose wrong shape + everything to make it a 45/1). The later 2013 upgrade only solved the nose seam line. I still think the nose shape is wrong, the nose grills are too big etc etc.

Once the new one is out, the older ones start looking..old, in my case ancient... my 45106/45128 has run longer with me than the real 45106/45128 did with BR... my 45112/133/135 dates back to when the real things were preserved in 1990.

The Bachmann 25 by comparison is a nearly 15 years newer than my sealed beam peak tooling’s history, back to Mainline circa 1980.. so the class 25’s can wait a bit longer.

Edited by adb968008

Hi all

I had an interesting chat with the Bachmann guys at DEMU yesterday. I was informed that the new 45/0s will not be a straight re-numbering of the old "Royal Marines" model with the new chassis (21 pin and lights). They intend to use slides to represent different body styles, which should include the trapezoid lower body grille for 45022/41 and an improved representation of the access panel for the other three. This was not a "blanking panel" as many have described it. All 193 peaks were built with a removable panel in the lower body, but the Brush-equipped machines (the later class 46) had the panel replaced by a grille some time during the 1960s. Twenty class 45s received the same modification, these were (in TOPS terms) 45008/19/22/26/41/56/102-9/12/4/21/2/34/41.

The small rectangular grille (for the boiler) at no 2 end was blanked off on most locos probably at the same time that the water filler access footsteps were blanked off on 45/0s; or removed altogether for 45/1s. Again I am informed that Bachmann are planning to include the blanking panel for this grille and to improve their representation of the footstep blanking; which on earlier models they have recognized to be somewhat overscale.

Hope this helps prospective purchasers.

Kevin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, apollo 079 said:

Hi all

I had an interesting chat with the Bachmann guys at DEMU yesterday. I was informed that the new 45/0s will not be a straight re-numbering of the old "Royal Marines" model with the new chassis (21 pin and lights). They intend to use slides to represent different body styles, which should include the trapezoid lower body grille for 45022/41 and an improved representation of the access panel for the other three. This was not a "blanking panel" as many have described it. All 193 peaks were built with a removable panel in the lower body, but the Brush-equipped machines (the later class 46) had the panel replaced by a grille some time during the 1960s. Twenty class 45s received the same modification, these were (in TOPS terms) 45008/19/22/26/41/56/102-9/12/4/21/2/34/41.

The small rectangular grille (for the boiler) at no 2 end was blanked off on most locos probably at the same time that the water filler access footsteps were blanked off on 45/0s; or removed altogether for 45/1s. Again I am informed that Bachmann are planning to include the blanking panel for this grille and to improve their representation of the footstep blanking; which on earlier models they have recognized to be somewhat overscale.

Hope this helps prospective purchasers.

Kevin

That is excellent news ! and puts Bachmann back in the game !

many thanks for asking.

Was there any indication when they would be available ?

20 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

That is excellent news ! and puts Bachmann back in the game !

many thanks for asking.

Was there any indication when they would be available ?

I didn't ask about timescales, didn't want to push my luck! Kernow says Q4 2019 but with re-tooling (or at least slide tooling) I think I that's optimistic. I'd say it's more likely first half of 2020, but still I reckon it will emerge before the Hell-Yan (phonetic spelling) rival. Certainly as the website shows this is expected to be their next rep special edition.

Big up to Fran, Alex, Gareth, Steve, Brian and everyone else we chatted to at DEMU 2019. And to Fran, the boys did us proud last night!

Kevin

11 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

Unless I am mistaken, with the exception of the battery boxes, this news should make renumbering a 45/0 to a 46 fairly feasible then?

Good to hear though either way.

Depends on whether or not they include the rectangular folding access panel on the side with the cooling group to the left, between the trapezoid panel/grille and the radiator grille. Most if not all 45s had this mod by the time flush fronts appeared but 46s don't seem to have.

10 hours ago, D1051 said:

Nose end doors in for improvement ? Or will we still have pre refurbish class 44 doors with vertical bar in  middle of door ? See my picture below

8358926_orig.jpg

I believe that they are aware of that issue as well, but time will tell. We really need to see some EPs to be sure, tho.

Kevin

On 01/06/2019 at 08:14, adb968008 said:

I've been advised "Around Christmas" 

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2019 at 08:43, adb968008 said:

Is it sad?  This appears to be the first dealer network model for which there is discounting going on.  The competition seems to be driving down the price (much like Bachmann's 66).

• RMweb Gold

Anybody have a list of dealers in each region? I thought there was one done for the Class 37s, but I can't find it. Googling isn't finding many responses yet, and they seem to be sold out already at some dealers.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

14 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Anybody have a list of dealers in each region? I thought there was one done for the Class 37s, but I can't find it. Googling isn't finding many responses yet, and they seem to be sold out already at some dealers.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/stockists/

Notes on areas
The item suffix denotes the areas from which each model can be purchased as follows:

DB – Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, City of Bristol & North Somerset, Gloucestershire,
Herefordshire, Oxfordshire, Shropshire, South Cheshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West
Midlands, Worcestershire, Ireland and Wales.

NF - Home Counties of Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, East Sussex, Surrey, Middlesex, Berkshire,
Buckinghamshire and Greater London.

RJ – Cumbria, Durham, Greater Manchester, Isle of Man, Lancashire, Merseyside, North
Cheshire, Northumberland, North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire and Scotland.

SD – Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Derbyshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Essex,
Hertfordshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, The town of Milton Keynes, Norfolk,
Nottinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Rutland, South Yorkshire and Suffolk.

TL - Bath & East Somerset, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Kent, The Isle of Wight,
Surrey, Sussex and Wiltshire.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

[...] and they seem to be sold out already at some dealers.

Thanks in advance,

Roy

That's interesting when we don't even know what the production runs are. Will each be the standard 500 models for a limited edition? Some of the Rep 47s were as they were originally to be Kernow MRC limited editions, but were the others are the 37s?

I might be interested in a 45022 but am not ordering until I know the two grills are correct. If they've all gone by then, so be it.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

That's interesting when we don't even know what the production runs are. Will each be the standard 500 models for a limited edition? Some of the Rep 47s were as they were originally to be Kernow MRC limited editions, but were the others are the 37s?

I might be interested in a 45022 but am not ordering until I know the two grills are correct. If they've all gone by then, so be it.

I thought I saw a quote from Bachmann of 350 for each, but that may be me going mad. Haven't each dealer been offered a certain number for previous models?

Roy

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Is it sad?  This appears to be the first dealer network model for which there is discounting going on.  The competition seems to be driving down the price (much like Bachmann's 66).

Bachmann has delivered some phenomenal locomotives over the last 30 years, some of which may have been marginal and are unlikely to be repeated.

I’m sure any company balances its books on a combination of good and bad selling lines.

As competition hacks off the good ones, this reduces scope for the future.

I compare Bachmann to Wrenn... and at the time Wrenn was legendary, yet no ones successfully reproduced OO in metal... its gone. I doubt we would lose plastic models, but chances of locos like LBSC 4-4-2, City of Truro, Dukedog, etc etc are unlikely to come forth from anyone else... indeed commissioners stay away from Steam.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Similar to myself. I’m waiting to see how accurate 45022 is before I order. 45040 (Bachmann) ordered from Derails. 45033 (Heljan) ordered from Rails. 45118 (Heljan) also ordered from Rails. Already got 45048 so perhaps no need for 022 being the fifth? 

Rest days being worked like they are going out of fashion to fund the phenomenal amount of great stuff being released at the moment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, apollo 079 said:

Depends on whether or not they include the rectangular folding access panel on the side with the cooling group to the left, between the trapezoid panel/grille and the radiator grille. Most if not all 45s had this mod by the time flush fronts appeared but 46s don't seem to have.

I believe that they are aware of that issue as well, but time will tell. We really need to see some EPs to be sure, tho.

Kevin

So far on Bachmann cl. 45 models, the folding access panel has actually just been represented by printing, and not actually formed part of the moulding. If this is still the case, then a bit of t-cut will sort it out for a 46!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

So far on Bachmann cl. 45 models, the folding access panel has actually just been represented by printing, and not actually formed part of the moulding. If this is still the case, then a bit of t-cut will sort it out for a 46!

There is also an extra raised roof section just aft of the fan on a 46 (as far as I know always present from new): easily added but matching the paint finish is tricky.

Edited by Hal Nail

Think it is 350 Non sound and 150 Sound on each model.

With the news that they are redoing the grilles i have added a sound 046. 

2 Bachmann and 3 Heljan. 2020 is going to be an expensive year !

• Like 1

The other thing i would like to request from Bachmann is that they do not come with printed names. In for the later years most of these Peaks carried one or no nameplates at all.

Etched plates and a fitting template would be a perfect solution to suit all models.

• Agree 1