SouthernBlue80s

Bachmann Class 45

6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

She should have long cab handrails.

Thats the one! Reckon she was still VB only in this condition and acquired dual brakes when her nose ends were rebuilt to same as D11 

And she does have air control pipes although they are probably too high and too far inboard

Edited by Phil Bullock
Additional info
  • Like 1

Both D11 and D15 look terrific Phil. There's something about old type numbering on a blue loco that really sets the pulses racing!

The whole issue of air control pipes I've found quite difficult on a number of classes. Photos often seem to show different numbers of same at different times, and of course that's only if you can find a photo clear enough to illuminate what is often a dark and dingy part of the loco.

It seems to me that in 4mm, unless we wish to indulge in extreme masochism, we have to accept that our buffer beams will at best be representational. If for example you look at a 37 and the myriad of pipes that are actually there, multiply by 2 and then by your number of locos, I think folk might agree. I also think a diesel looks bereft without some effort at bufferbeam pipework, just a personal view though which many others clearly don't share.

John.

• Like 3

On 24/08/2019 at 21:03, cheesysmith said:

Would they still have had the bogie lubricating points in the bodyside?

Not something I had looked for before - thanks for pointing it out! D11s were plated over on checking....

Phil

6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Both D11 and D15 look terrific Phil. There's something about old type numbering on a blue loco that really sets the pulses racing!

The whole issue of air control pipes I've found quite difficult on a number of classes. Photos often seem to show different numbers of same at different times, and of course that's only if you can find a photo clear enough to illuminate what is often a dark and dingy part of the loco.

It seems to me that in 4mm, unless we wish to indulge in extreme masochism, we have to accept that our buffer beams will at best be representational. If for example you look at a 37 and the myriad of pipes that are actually there, multiply by 2 and then by your number of locos, I think folk might agree. I also think a diesel looks bereft without some effort at bufferbeam pipework, just a personal view though which many others clearly don't share.

John.

Thanks for kind comments John. Certainly remember seeing D15 in that condition - think she was something of a Holbeck pet loco at the time. 

Peaks are not so bad to add the air control pipes to but have to agree with with on 37s....and thats why we put our own wire loops on the locos

Phil

• Friendly/supportive 1

I am one of the lucky people who bought 45048 from Modelzone for around £70. I also managed to get 45120 with split headcode boxes for £49.99. They were nearly sold out and mine is the one which was in the display cabinet. It isn't a 45/1 but has parts to make it one.

Usually I model the Southern but I do have a taste for peaks, plus I can justify one on Third Rail territory as there were a few visits as evidenced by Acg5324 of this parish's awesome site, 1S76.com (Thanks Andy and hello)

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v28/p27286131-3.jpg

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
A great big glaring typo...

5 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Usually I model the Southern but I do have a taste for peaks, plus I can justify one on Third Rail territory as there were a few visits as evidenced by Acg5324 of this parish's awesome site, 1S76.com (Thanks Andy and hello)

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v28/p27286131-3.jpg

Peaks were also regular performers on coal trains from the Midland Region into SE London / Kent. Can't recall the exact workings off hand. Saw them regularly at Clapham Junction coming off the Windsor lines.

• Like 2

Good article on diesel hauled coal trains from the Midlands to the Southern in Traction Magazine this month.  Peaks are prominent.

Had a nosey in the Bachmann lounge at Warley yesterday and the current revised sealed beam sample was on display.

Warley NEC

Warley NEC

I didn't get much of a chance to lurk as my young son was getting restless to spend his pocket money. 

cheers Peter

• Like 4

Hi all

I had a chat with one of the reps in the BCC members' club lounge yesterday.

There are two EPs  on display in the cases, the one shown above has the original trapezoid access panel below the long bodyside grille, which is correct for 45040/46/49.The other is identical except that it has the trapezoid grille in place of the panel, correct for 45022/41. Note that neither has the square moulding which was noted on an EP at a previous exhibition). Improvements noted include wire handrails on the noses (previously these were moulded), single-piece nose side grilles with hinges, a better representation of plated over footsteps (these appear to be moulded now rather than separate fittings), the rectangular access panel on one side is depicted by moulding rather than tampo printing and the holes above the bogie pivots on the bottom of the bodyside are correctly depicted as plated over. It was also confirmed that the loco will have working sealed beam marker lights and tail lights. This I believe covers all the improvements which were promised in a previous conversation with a one of his colleagues at DEMU. 

The plan for delivery has been moved back, so they are now looking at end of 2020 or possibly early 2021.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 24/11/2019 at 10:42, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Sweeeet.  Just how I remember them.

I recalled them in BR Blue myself.

:D

Is it just me or are those door hinges on the nose a little over engineered ? I’m wondering what the holes are for either side of the door footstep.

Overall a nice set of upgrades, upgrading the handles to wire on the front makes a big difference.

Using plastic  grab rails either side of the doors may make sense, as the wire bent to shape isn't prototypical. The side grab handles were completely straight, with mountings 90 degree horizontal into the bodyside a few inches short of the top/bottom leaving a noticeable tail, like the new class 24, theyve got it right on that. Important as the handles were white and stand out.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, apollo 079 said:

Hi all

There are two EPs  on display in the cases, the one shown above has the original trapezoid access panel below the long bodyside grille, which is correct for 45040/46/49.The other is identical except that it has the trapezoid grille in place of the panel, correct for 45022/41. Note that neither has the square moulding which was noted on an EP at a previous exhibition). Improvements noted include wire handrails on the noses (previously these were moulded), single-piece nose side grilles with hinges, a better representation of plated over footsteps (these appear to be moulded now rather than separate fittings), the rectangular access panel on one side is depicted by moulding rather than tampo printing and the holes above the bogie pivots on the bottom of the bodyside are correctly depicted as plated over. It was also confirmed that the loco will have working sealed beam marker lights and tail lights. This I believe covers all the improvements which were promised in a previous conversation with a one of his colleagues at DEMU. 

The plan for delivery has been moved back, so they are now looking at end of 2020 or possibly early 2021.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Thanks for the info Kevin . I wonder when the Heljan ones are due? 

On 25/11/2019 at 08:04, Legend said:

I wonder when the Heljan ones are due? 

Q3 2020 according to Heljan Ben.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/11/2019 at 13:31, apollo 079 said:

Hi all

Hope this helps.

Kevin

I too went in the lounge to talk Peak as did my fellow peak restorer ‘Phaton’ as he’s known on here. OK unfortunately the handrails that serve the cab are incorrect (better representation used on the model of the 44,which were prototypical longer than those on a 45/46).There FLAT stainless steel bar  & secured to the body via screws with spacers between body & handrail ,the same arrangement on class 24 .Ironically reproduced on the Bachmann 24 model ! We also mentioned the 44 instruction plates that run along body at sole bar level .They did seem keen to want to reproduce these.An authentic set is found on our 45 .Another ‘rival’ company were not interested in them when they came measuring our ‘center split ‘ headcode end .So my humble suggestion is drop the round wire option handrails that serve cab doors

Edited by D1051
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/11/2019 at 13:31, apollo 079 said:

Hi all

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Have I missed something? This was posted in November suggesting slippage to end 2020/early 2021 and this is reflected on the Bachmann website, but the latest Collectors Club magazine which can’t have been written much more than 6 weeks ago says the the sealed beam 45s have been approved for production. Some they’re ready to go, but no production slot? If so, what hope for anything else coming up behind in the development process. And how well will they sell if Heljan gets in first with a better model.

Edited by brushman47544

Heljan with a better model :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

It'd be nice if Heljan started using skew-wound motors - always a little difficult getting a good crawl start with an admittedly very-smooth-running Heljan.

Bachmann locos (and Hornby super detail) don't have this problem.

Al.

34 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It'd be nice if Heljan started using skew-wound motors - always a little difficult getting a good crawl start with an admittedly very-smooth-running Heljan.

Bachmann locos (and Hornby super detail) don't have this problem.

Al.

All my Heljan locos start with a very smooth crawl, never had a problem with them

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Have I missed something? This was posted in November suggesting slippage to end 2020/early 2021 and this is reflected on the Bachmann website, but the latest Collectors Club magazine which can’t have been written much more than 6 weeks ago says the the sealed beam 45s have been approved for production. Some they’re ready to go, but no production slot? If so, what hope for anything else coming up behind in the development process. And how well will they sell if Heljan gets in first with a better model.

The running order from Heljan in oo is 86 next then the 25.So you can guess when the 45's turn up See  Heljan facebook page 

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Half-full said:

All my Heljan locos start with a very smooth crawl, never had a problem with them

I'm sure they can crawl - I know they can tbh - once moving, but the 4 I have - 33, 35, 52, 58 - are super smooth in operation, once moving can be made to crawl well, but cannot start where you can hear the segment by segment smooth transition that you can with Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby Super Detail locomotives.

Heljan always need A LITTLE kick start first - this is because they use straight pole / wound motors not skew wound - that was the point.

As stated, once that 'little kick' to start (only minute but there is an obvious difference) then they can crawl with the others, are super smooth, and have very decent haulage capacity and speed as well - if required.

Not quite there.

Al.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I'm sure they can crawl - I know they can tbh - once moving, but the 4 I have - 33, 35, 52, 58 - are super smooth in operation, once moving can be made to crawl well, but cannot start where you can hear the segment by segment smooth transition that you can with Bachmann, Dapol and Hornby Super Detail locomotives.

Heljan always need A LITTLE kick start first - this is because they use straight pole / wound motors not skew wound - that was the point.

As stated, once that 'little kick' to start (only minute but there is an obvious difference) then they can crawl with the others, are super smooth, and have very decent haulage capacity and speed as well - if required.

Not quite there.

Al.

Got to say mine all crawl perfect from a standing start, 15/17/26/27/47/128 - I use DCC, standardising on Zimo decoders.  No extra kick need, run as smooth as the Bachmann models I have, and smoother than Dapol.  I don't have any central motored Hornby loco's to compare against

Edited by Half-full

Are we talking about the difference between DC and DCC here? DCC will manage the start for you. Its the same with the Bachmann Class 43 Warships - like scalded cats on DC but a decent set of CVs on DCC will soon tame them....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

OK, I'm DC 'only' operated - perhaps this is why.

We shall politely agree to differ.

Al.