Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

It's a conspiracy - I found this in the Mail: 

'The group with one of the worst reputations is the so-called Peak Army, who followed ‘Peak’ Class 45 diesels produced in the Fifties, he added.

He said they were known in the Eighties for throwing toilet seats out of the window and were described in one rail magazine as ‘the Millwall of rail enthusiast groups’.

Pictures on the internet show a group of 45 enthusiasts at a 2004 Peak Army reunion giving a Nazi-style salute.'

article-1092595-02B55430000005DC-866_468

Offensive gestures at a Peak Army renuion in 2003

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

The picture taken at the time was taken at the llangollen railway .Featuring the resident 46 .

Carrog platform, unless I'm much mistaken. 

The photo above is actually from the same article and keeps its original caption, for the sake of its evident innacuracy!

Carrog platform, unless I'm much mistaken. 

The photo above is actually from the same article and keeps its original caption, for the sake of its evident innacuracy!

Must admit I was having difficulty understanding when a middle finger salute had been (officially) used by Nazis in support of their leader, it wasn't unknown though for Churchill to throw a couple of fingers up.

I always remember that Steve Jones, of ‘Electric Nose’ fame, asserted...

The sudden resurrection of this thread, led me to this overlooked gem, just the thing to brighten up a dull overcast day. There just aren't the full on free range certified organic asserters roaming around like that any more...

...asserted that the nose of the Bachmann peak was significantly too short. Has there ever been a definitive assessment of the dimensional accuracy of the tooling?

I would take a step back from that. Based principally on my memory of the input through NHS spectacles with raindrops on, perched on my flesh and blood nose, while standing at the end of platform 8: were all the 44/45/46 uniformly built to the same general form and dimensions? The bonnet top corners in particular, I retain the distinct impression that some had larger radii than others. Variations in paint jobs, lighting conditions and degree of filthiness didn't help with the comparative assessment, but the appearance could vary from quite squared off to smooth jelly mould transitions. In my perception. (And although I should have an all over green model for my KX area operation, Derby's type 4 blob has always been in a distant second place to any of the other 60-some types of traction that are legitimate choices for my operation...)

• RMweb Gold

Last 2 hours I decided to pick up my modelling mojo to a 45106...

This has taken 90 minutes.

Candidates:

Top class 44 D1, which sits on a class 45 chassis.

Middle 45048, Sits on a 44004 chassis (i’ll Explain why later)

Bottom Replica 45106 on a Mainline style chassis.

post-20773-0-24243300-1542721763_thumb.jpeg

1. Separate the air tanks from D1, interestingly the outer tank is grey, the inner tanks were blue !

post-20773-0-98928600-1542721870_thumb.jpeg

The overall length of the Mainline/Replica is less than 1mm different to the Bachmann model.post-20773-0-09624500-1542721926_thumb.jpeg

To fit the Bachmann chassis, I need to remove the placing lugs on the 45 body.post-20773-0-42748300-1542721970_thumb.jpeg

Also obviously the buffers, here I used caution, I cut using a circular cutting drill from the inside, so not to catch the outer paint, I didn’t cut wholly through, just scored a 1mm or so line across, that way I could use my fingers to push the buffer beams inwards and let them naturally bend off along the score line. Finally I used the circular cutting drill to burnish off the rough edges.

post-20773-0-42718000-1542724435_thumb.jpeg

First impressions of how it will lookpost-20773-0-06021400-1542722078_thumb.jpeg

Now SE Flushglaze (I really don’t like this stuff as it’s awkward to trim & fit, but in absence of anything else. Fitting this to one cab on its own was half my time.

post-20773-0-22135800-1542722164_thumb.jpeg

Finally (a blue peter moment), I could have painted the bogies, but I have a spare set, painted already with speedo).. I took opportunity to line out the handrails, and the windows at one end. (I originally lined the edges of the flush glaze but this has the effect of deepening the window, so instead I lined the rims of the body, I think that looks much better, even though it has non-flush glazed in at this point).

post-20773-0-24189600-1542723834_thumb.jpeg

Now is that Replica body really that bad ?

post-20773-0-89112200-1542723783_thumb.jpeg

Plan to finish: add tanks, (i’ll Only fit one either side, as I have another 44 chassis destination for another 45, and the Grey ones i’ll Save for my D100 Mainline conversion).

Project cost:

45106 £20, D1 donor £50, SE flushglaze £4... total £74.

To dispose:

D1 body/ box probably £15, Mainline class 45 chassis £15, 4x Class 45 buffer heads & 2x hooks.. £2

brings my project cost to £42, for a DCC ready, sealed beam class 45.

Now how does 45048 fit... it was one I did earlier, it sits on a 44004 chassis, with air tanks separated from the inner of yet another 45 (45054)... no one will ever know it only has 2 tanks, not 6. That 44004 cost £60, I plan to sell the body / box as mint condition for circa £20, which brings my 45048 Sealed beam peak to £152... yes I bought that body a month or so back, expensive, maybe but I saved between £100 and £225 on buying one of the boxed ones out there.post-20773-0-36833800-1542723329_thumb.jpeg

post-20773-0-91242300-1542723346_thumb.jpeg

I will refit a working headlight light too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

With respect, stood next to a Bachmann 45048 it doesn't capture the Peak front end nearly as well.

With £108 difference in price (or £233 depending on your yard stick), for all of 90 minutes work, I can live with it, until a new one is announced at Warley anyway ;-)

Now I need an orange lining pen for that cantrail...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

With £100 difference in price (or £250 depending on your measure), I can live with it, for all of 90 minutes work.

Absolutely your prerogative and that 90 minutes' fettling is great, but does it make the Replica resemble the real thing as well as or better than 45048, the answer is no, and those looking for an accurate and acceptable RTR sealed-beam Peak to cobble together from the spares box, eBay and a decent modern chassis won't be satisfied with it.  

The demand for a 1976-1989 era final front end Peak can't be satisfied without either a re-release of the MZ beast (can't happen), or a retool.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely your prerogative and that 90 minutes' fettling is great, but does it make the Replica resemble the real thing as well as or better than 45048, the answer is no, and those looking for an accurate and acceptable RTR sealed-beam Peak to cobble together from the spares box, eBay and a decent modern chassis won't be satisfied with it.

The demand for a 1976-1989 era final front end Peak can't be satisfied without either a re-release of the MZ beast (can't happen), or a retool.

I don’t disagree. But even if ones running on a stand this weekend, it’ll be a year before we can buy it.

And if it did, i’d be pleasantly surprised as I believe there’s more juicy low hanging fruit out there.

Do I believe there’s enough demand for 5000- 6000 Blue sealed beam peaks... to make it worth it, No. (edited for clarity: for a new manufacturer to produce).

So to round the last corner would be price, again i’d be pleasantly surprised if it started with less than a 2, but depending who makes it, I wouldnt be too surprised if the second figure was >=5, but if we don’t see it this weekend, by a new manufacturer (which I think unlikely), well someday Bachmann may provide... someday, until then I can play, with some equally old, but upgraded rolling stock.

post-20773-0-14489400-1542732453_thumb.jpeg

Its not about being satisfied, the whole hobby has existed 50+ years based on doing the best with what youve got, until the better one comes along.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Do I believe there’s enough demand for 5000- 6000 Blue sealed beam peaks... to make it worth it, No.

I don't think it needs 5000 sealed beam peaks - I am sure 1500 would be enough and if wrapped around a new tooling for a general Peak model series then not an issue.

If the lack of a sealed beam Peak by Bachmann is licencing then another manufacturer won't be so encumbered,

• RMweb Gold
Now sold.

Hope the buyer (this one isn’t me, but if it had been there a bit longer it might have been), has a plan for a chassis, as indicated a number of 44’s sell low, and have 45 “tanks” fitted and provide a hot swap chassis that 45048 can benefit from, and in this case the buyer could still save £50 - £70+ at least off of the cheapest online examples that show up.

Modellers, do the best with what they have in front of them.

When someday a new one comes, you can bet it costs more than the upgraded ones.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just crazy money for those

For around £50 (after disposing of the Replica chassis/spare Bachmann body) you could do a 45128 on a current DCC ready chassis using a Bachmann Peak chassis (D1, 45114 etc) , as per my post above, removing the buffers / filing down the interior lugs.

Though Ive noticed since my above posts on 45106, those cheap peaks have gone off ebay... i guess ive got competition now !

My 45106 runs fine on its D1 chassis, with air tank added. To hold it to the body, I use double sided tape, solid to hold it to the metal chassis block, and confidentally be able to pick it up, but not too permanent that it cannot be removed.

If budget really is tight, and retaining the Replica chassis (or even a 46026/46045 model from Bachmann with its fly wheel chassis), you can always just do the buffers, Ive used these with ease... for £4.95, eth, none eth, class 44 etc versions available, including a basic “keep the chunky old coupling” option.. it doesnt get much easier..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASS-44-45-45-1-46-DETAILED-REPLACEMENT-BUFFERS/192050832209?var=492292925590

Your other options are of course, hope in the future, or buy one of the ones above, but there are other options.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It does seem a bit odd the Peak with seal beam headlights, with or without a high intensity headlight isn’t on Bachmanns agenda. The sad part is the tooling existings, but I guess owned who ever bought the assets of Modelzone when the business failed.

For me a sealed beam Peak would allow me to have a peak because a few where still around at the end of the 80s. Even better if one was produced in N gauge too.

If someone produced a resin or 3D printed nose, would be possible to do a nose job so to speak? I don’t have a Bachmann Peak to examine.

Edited by richierich

post-33480-0-40846900-1544276078_thumb.jpegpost-33480-0-39006900-1544276105_thumb.jpegpost-33480-0-05234200-1544276130_thumb.png

Here is my £6 seconds body on a green class 45 chassis. I’m not an expert on peaks, so could anyone with more knowledge than I comment on if the chassis is correct for a Blue 45/0. Think i’m going to renumber it to 45007 as it was one of the last 45/0’s out there.

• Like 1

Arrggh , don’t renumber . eBay it and retire to Barbados !

I know! I know!! With lights and DCC sound added it’s worth a fortune but my period is ‘87ish and a Northern based layout in that time period requires at least one peak. I need to renumber it, as 048 was laid up well before then.

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Premium

I’m not an expert on peaks, so could anyone with more knowledge than I comment on if the chassis is correct for a Blue 45/0. Think i’m going to renumber it to 45007 as it was one of the last 45/0’s out there.

As always check photos but the inner sandboxes on each bogie were generally removed by that period and some holes left so presumably they were bolted on, although I’m guessing.