Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

What amazes me is that they don't even make the wishlists. yet oddities do.

If we're talking about the recent Wishlist Poll, I asked the question several different ways to be advised that because the Modelzone commission was since 2000 (2004 or whenever it was), it was the wrong side of the cut-off. 

I find it bizarre they're not offered on the annual wishlist. Whenever the previous model was available it clearly isn't available now

The Poll team took my strenuously emphasised comments and said it will be considered for next year.

• Like 1

If we're talking about the recent Wishlist Poll, I asked the question several different ways to be advised that because the Modelzone commission was since 2000 (2004 or whenever it was), it was the wrong side of the cut-off. 

The Poll team took my strenuously emphasised comments and said it will be considered for next year.

Yep, I did exactly the same, mentioning both that and the Class 86 which Heljan seemed to have no interest in resurrecting at the time. With such a crowded diesel and electric range of subjects these seem like very obvious gaps regardless of whenever a previous model was available.

I'm sure the same message of considered for next year has been given on multiple previous years already when these were missing then too

Yep, I did exactly the same, mentioning both that and the Class 86 which Heljan seemed to have no interest in resurrecting at the time. With such a crowded diesel and electric range of subjects these seem like very obvious gaps regardless of whenever a previous model was available.

I'm sure the same message of considered for next year has been given on multiple previous years already when these were missing then too

Diverging slightly, I am hopeful that Bachmann will also take note of the two neglected and most prolific Brush Type 4/ Class 47 detail variants as follows:

1. Blue, full yellow ends, Serck radiator louvres (2-part), dual braked, glass black headcode panels (pre-TOPS and TOPS compatible) (507 examples)
  2. Green, small yellow warning panels, Serck radiator louvres, original serif numbering (450-500 examples)

• RMweb Gold

Diverging slightly, I am hopeful that Bachmann will also take note of the two neglected and most prolific Brush Type 4/ Class 47 detail variants as follows:

• Blue, full yellow ends, Serck radiator louvres (2-part), dual braked, glass black headcode panels (pre-TOPS and TOPS compatible) (507 examples)
  • Green, small yellow warning panels, Serck radiator louvres, original serif numbering (450-500 examples)

Kernow have the green one..

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51676/31-650L-Bachmann-Class-47-Diesel-Locomotive-number-D1670

Indeed, but it's hardly what we'd describe as 'main range,' being a WR namer commission; I know the prototype ranged fairly widely, but it doesn't represent the average humdrum workhorse....

Ho hum, maybe in 2020...

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, but it's hardly what we'd describe as 'main range,' being a WR namer commission; I know the prototype ranged fairly widely, but it doesn't represent the average humdrum workhorse....

Ho hum, maybe in 2020...

If its like the other Bachmann 47’s, that name could be off mark free in a few minutes.

The WR spots are absent off this model (fox make them).

They may announce one, but at what price and what delivery date.

This models been tempting me since April 2016, initially expensive, but inflations catching it up, but no followup release has...

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

1. Blue, full yellow ends, Serck radiator louvres (2-part), dual braked, glass black headcode panels (pre-TOPS and TOPS compatible) (507 examples)
  2. Green, small yellow warning panels, Serck radiator louvres, original serif numbering (450-500 examples)

Hi Chard

Agree with the sentiments and the numbers for option 1 -  but option 2 a good number made it in to GFYE or BFYE still with original 3 part grilles so are numbers that high?

Those Limited Edition D1662 IKBs are very expensive, the only other option to get a blue serck fitted loco with original headcodes is to open out the sealed headcode boxes on their 47035 or a similar model - have done a few

Choice of model/livery combination is sometimes bizarre isnt it?

Phil

Agree with the sentiments and the numbers for option 1 -  but option 2 a good number made it in to GFYE or BFYE still with original 3 part grilles so are numbers that high?

You're right there Phil, in fact I think that on reflection I have actually been more scientific previously, and came up with a 350+ 'best guess.'

It does seem a bit odd the Peak with seal beam headlights, with or without a high intensity headlight isn’t on Bachmanns agenda. The sad part is the tooling existings, but I guess owned who ever bought the assets of Modelzone when the business failed.

Who bought the assets of Modelzone and could they - whoever that is and in theory at least release one? Jim

Who bought the assets of Modelzone and could they - whoever that is and in theory at least release one? Jim

I doubt anyone owns a blue class 45/46 licence as it is an otherwise non operational class in liveries that are probably not beholden to any licensing rights.

So in theory anyone can build a class 44/45/46 if they wanted to and I am surprised that Accurascale or Rapido haven't done so unless the actual market for Peaks isn't as big as we imagine and the real reason for the lack of marker light Peaks is actually the sales value against the cost of production.

Maybe Bachmann have a surprise up their sleeves for 2019.

I think last time we went through the “ I can’t belive they haven’t made a sealed beam peak “,

Somebody mentioned talk of a damaged tool......not sure where that came from or was just conjecture but if that is the case we won’t be seeing one soon

Oh just imagine if accurascale did a 45 in as many variables as the deltic they have just announced, sealed beam with headlight and without, various numbers.... Names, white bits and and other odd bits, would of spent a fortune. (Tho I am having a deltic or 2) but would of been 4 or more 45s

• RMweb Premium

I think last time we went through the “ I can’t belive they haven’t made a sealed beam peak “,

Somebody mentioned talk of a damaged tool......not sure where that came from or was just conjecture but if that is the case we won’t be seeing one soon

Possibly, but equally the tool must have broken some years ago now so Bachmann has had plenty of time to make a new one if it thought demand was there. We’ve had new Mk1 coach tooling (the rooves are now seamless) and countless Class 47 cab variants which seem to sell, so why not the sealed beam 45?

But of the other possible reasons, I think it strange that Bachmann would have agreed that Modelzone would retain exclusive rights to the tooling in definitely. As far as we know they’ve not done it for anyone else - RailExclusive funded the Class 37 heavyweight (37/7) cabs for a limited edition and didn’t retain exclusive rights, so why Modelzone?

• RMweb Gold

Maybe we’re all getting ahead of ourselves.

The newer tooled 44/45/46 tooling doesn’t endear itself with the missing seam around the nose, yet people pan the Replica 45/Original Bachmann 46 which correctly has it.

Since then Bachmann has slow burned the 44, with subsequent newer earlier releases of class 45 with the seam on the nose.

The last 45 only being a few years ago, and the latest 44 has only just come out.

Could it simply be the case they are working down the list of options and haven’t got that far yet... if you look at the 45 it’s technically chronologically next up to be a sealed beam, as could a class 46 with nose seam ?

Of course they could do 44009 first, just to tease everyone for another year...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59613544@N08/5460663254

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we’re all getting ahead of ourselves.

The newer tooled 44/45/46 tooling doesn’t endear itself with the missing seam around the nose, yet people pan the Replica 45/Original Bachmann 46 which correctly has it.

Because the later model is the correct shape, whereas the earlier one very obviously is not? Why possession of a single detail (which is much less prominent on the real thing than many appear to think) has become the sole criterion by which these models are judged is quite incomprehensible.

I think if Bachmann do a Peak with the sealed beam light set up thy should probably sort the nose grilles out as they are modelled on the type fitted when built and not the modified ones which the old Replica/Bachmann class 45/46  model did have.

I converted an old Mainline model years ago from centre split box to sealed Beam lights by filing flat and using brass rod to for the outside of the lights, With my latest Peaks I am thinking of using a few spare old type Bachmann bodies and cut out the grilles and headlights and try and fit them to the latest Bachmann model.

Cheers Peter.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Because the later model is the correct shape, whereas the earlier one very obviously is not? Why possession of a single detail (which is much less prominent on the real thing than many appear to think) has become the sole criterion by which these models are judged is quite incomprehensible.

The seam line is front centre and prominent on a peak, you cant miss it.

But, as the post directly above mine demonstrates, theres more differences to a 1980’s peak than the seamline.

The bottomline is weve never had an accurate super detailed 1980’s 45/0, or a 45/1 or a 46.

So until such time the options I see are:

1. Do some modelling, Upgrade the older Replica / Bachmann 45/46, it can be done for circa £50 and some time, or do a bit more modelling and painting to upgrade the superdetailed version, 45114 would make a cheap candidate.

2. Spend a lot more on a reasonable 45048

3. Moan and do nothing, wait for someone to put it in your lap, however long that be.

Its not a life long binding commitment, when Bachmann some day do the sealed beam peak, I will have no issue parting with the former models, they are going to be at least £100 cheaper than the new release, they will have a taker, and youve at least had benefit of 2-3 years pleasure using them prior, the £50 odd i get for them acts as a subsidy on the new ones.

I cant imagine another knight in shining armour coming over the hill with a new rtr peak, its just not as popular as other financially lucrative classes, which is precisely why its so minimal in its availability, its a stocking filler, not a bulk seller.

Before arguing with me on that point, count how many 37,47s youve got and ask yourself if you’d buy as many post 1981 sealed beam peaks, at £160+ each... a few people will say yes, but not hundreds of people needed for a new tooling.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

count how many 37,47s youve got and ask yourself if you’d buy as many post 1981 sealed beam peaks, at £160+ each.

I have more Peaks than 37s, but I do take your point. Indeed if Bachmann produces a sealed beam Peak with the later third centre headlight, I wouldn't buy that either!

I think if Bachmann do a Peak with the sealed beam light set up thy should probably sort the nose grilles out as they are modelled on the type fitted when built and not the modified ones which the old Replica/Bachmann class 45/46  model did have.

This is correct; I believe there are a couple of other less obvious but still visible differences in the later Peak appearance, which better informed critics than me would no doubt pick up on, and which are known to Bachmann, such that they may only contemplate doing a complete re-tool. 

As ADB968008 points out two posts above this, the BR-Sulzer Type 4 is possibly a bit of a Cinderella class amongst the top link diesels, so would anyone venture a new, bells and whistles model when there are serviceable examples out there on layouts, suppressing demand....

... count how many 37,47s youve got and ask yourself if you’d buy as many post 1981 sealed beam peaks, at £160+ each... a few people will say yes, but not hundreds of people needed for a new tooling.

Sadly for the campaign of which I am a willing cheerleader, I confess that I am also impotent in the matter of latent demand.

As I model 1968, Bachmann's output over the past decade has suited me perfectly, to the extent that Barwell sixteen-wheelers exceed my combined total of Co-Cos of the four (each very popular) classes represented.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A variation Bachmann hasn't done is split box with doors, D11-15, D15 was repainted blue full yella, and I think D13 was in eco-green small yella so a potential of 3 liveries :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Now would I buy one? Don't know as I modelled one many moons ago and still have it.