Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Gold

I'll agree with Clive re D11-15, I've a photo of D15 in this condition, I'll try and post it when I find it.

Re the "sealed" beam peak, I'm making progress with mine which I will post in the near future. I've just found this guide when looking at the next project, a class 45/1. The guide describes the process to build a flush front, and work required to remove any sign of steam heating.

http://www.45133.co.uk/uploads/2/2/3/1/22313750/converting_a_bachmann_class_45_model_to_45133.pdf

Neil

Found it D15 at Temple Meads in 1967.

My copyright

Neil

attachicon.gifIMG_0771.PNG

Wonder if I could hybridise that from a 44 donor and one of my numerous 45120s?  Although in the period I'm modelling D15 had already had the centre panel fitted as part of the 'Brush' modification package.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Craftsman did a class 44 conversion kit way back before the Bachmann model. That had the nose doors, maybe a simpler route Chard if you could locate one? Does 45120 have the roof panel mods as per a 45/1?

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Craftsman did a class 44 conversion kit way back before the Bachmann model. That had the nose doors, maybe a simpler route Chard if you could locate one? Does 45120 have the roof panel mods as per a 45/1?

Neil

I don't think so.  Haven't got one to hand at present, but I think one of the criticisms was that it's otherwise as a /0.  I have used the Craftsman (or equivalent) kit before, although it had the effect of all the end door detail standing proud.  I've become more adept at carving whole spare (otherwise damaged) bodies up for parts of bodywork these days.  Serck grilles for 47s, notably!

• RMweb Gold

Likewise, I've beheaded a few class 44 and 46 shells to make 44009. Genesis make class 45 head code boxes and this could be grafted onto the front of a 44 nose transplanted onto a 45/0 body. Of course the 44 bodyside grilles are different to a 45/0. I do enjoy butchery too Chard.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And another of D15 must be the same day at Temple Meads, although marked Strathwood I bought the original slide.

Not quite as good as the previous shot, but of personal interest as I'm 95% sure the guy nearest the camera chatting to the driver is my grandfather who worked at Bath road at that time. I'd like to think he's chatting to my Uncle Alan (his brother in law) who was a Gloucester driver.

post-6925-0-69073800-1545581047_thumb.png

Neil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's a great picture of D15 at Temple Meads , love the shed plate on the nose doors and if I'm not mistaken Holbeck painted on the buffer sleeve .

Never seen that before .

IIRC,D11-D15 were Holbeck or Neville Hill allocated from new in late 1960/early 1961.The 45’s ( then BR Sulzer Type 4 ) commenced work into Temple Meads in early summer of 1961 with the arrival firstly of D 93 at 82A for crew training.Regular working began in late July with Bath Road’s own allocation of D 33-D42.Thereafter,ex Midland line workings were by Sulzers allocated to 82A,55A,55H,17A and if my own records at the time (1961/62) are still correct 52A (D 24).This latter on the Sunday evening Temple Meads Catterick Camp turn.D16 -D32 were split box without doors and went to the NER.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

And another of D15 must be the same day at Temple Meads, although marked Strathwood I bought the original slide.

Not quite as good as the previous shot, but of personal interest as I'm 95% sure the guy nearest the camera chatting to the driver is my grandfather who worked at Bath road at that time. I'd like to think he's chatting to my Uncle Alan (his brother in law) who was a Gloucester driver.

attachicon.gifIMG_0973.PNG

Neil

Great human-interest shot there!

Unless I'm much mistaken, the doors appear to be welded/ fixed shut judging by the solid yellow top and bottom middle.

• 3 weeks later...

This type (flush fronted with and without headlight ) of peak featured highly in my youth , I always got very excited when one tipped up wherever I was . And later on I took many a photo of some them dumped at March . (What a place that was )

So I for one have been waiting for a good model to come out of the Bachmann stable . And certainly mark me down for a bundle of them they are top of my wish list . Maybe acurascale will take on the venture after their Deltic if Bachmann fail to come up with the goods again this year ..what I wish is that and I find fustrating is Bachmann offer no comment on the subject of damaged tooling or their intentions.

Andy H

Oh as a BTW could we have the TO rabbit and TI snails too please .

Andy H

Good thinking!  

I reckon there's reasonable justification for a manufacturer to tackle the healed-up ended Peak in the following five principal guises, pretty self-evidently:

1. 1976-84 plain blue 45/0 
  2. 1976-84 plain blue 45/1 
  3. 1976-84 plain blue 46 
  4. 1984-87 45/0 with Toton rabbit 
  5. 1984-88 45/1 with Tinsley snail and high intensity headlight 

No doubt there would also be room for a commission/ Collector's Club run of the celebrity 45106 in green, and options for official and unofficial named (and denamed) identities.

I've no idea offhand what the most common detail differences/ configurations were to provide most widespread applicability of each model, but that should be reasonably sortable with a bit of research and dialogue with the relevant special interest groups, of which there are several.

Apologies if the dates are approximate.

• Like 2

Great stuff.

A while ago a friend couldn’t understand my fascination with the 47 he said they are all the same !!! Once I had pointed out and shown him some of the differences he saw them in a very different light . It’s easy to look at a 45 and say ah yes they are/were all the same . But start looking on the web and in books and it soon becomes evedent that , that’s simply not the case . Yep they were rail blue after being green but there’s a lot more to it than that and as we say the devil is in the detail & it’s the detail that counts . Without looking at weathering options .

Have a google and I think many will be surprised with what differences are found if you look for them , any generalisation of a 45 being rail blue end off , is to me pretty unjustified.

Andy H

• RMweb Gold

Left field suggestion, but has any shop considered approaching Bachmann about commissioning a limited edition of a sealed beam peak ?

I’m positive a run of 500 would sell quite easily, at a c£160 area price ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Split head with center doors, D12 would be nice, with yella panel. :locomotive: :locomotive:

Or how about one of the ones that ran with split headcode one end and central headcode the other. :sungum: :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

Left field suggestion, but has any shop considered approaching Bachmann about commissioning a limited edition of a sealed beam peak ?

I’m positive a run of 500 would sell quite easily, at a c£160 area price ?

Modelzone did it with their 45048, but Bachmann up to yet havn't released one as a catalogue item.   

https://picclick.co.uk/Modelzone-limited-edition-Bachmann-Class-45-048-The-302831738618.html

• RMweb Gold

Modelzone did it with their 45048, but Bachmann up to yet havn't released one as a catalogue item.

https://picclick.co.uk/Modelzone-limited-edition-Bachmann-Class-45-048-The-302831738618.html

I know, a few pages back in this thread you would be able to see my own example.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125776-Bachmann-class-45/?p=3371482

If you scroll back to page 4 onwards you will see ive been quite vocal in suggesting that having someone other than Bachmann produce it would be quite futile as long as Bachmanns one existed, to much chargrin of those who constantly placed me as being crazy, I feel I can safely say “told you so” when you look at Hornbys approach to competition this year, Someone would need iron ghoolies and big wallet to take a punt on a new tooled Class 45 right now.

The point being everyone is asking for one, Bachmann has never repeated it.

Maybe a comission limited edition by a shop from Bachmann could tempt the tooling out.

Even if the nose tooling is nolonger available, a new tooling for just a nose might work out for an exclusive 2/3 models Which i think would cover the demand.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Now if Bachmann were to tool their peak to have interchangeable noses like their recent class 37/40 releases, that would be excellent news.

Then all peak variants (aside from 44s which had different body side grilles) could be catered for. Come on Bachmann you know it makes sense ;)

Neil

• Like 2

Agree - Surely it is open for someone else to produce them now the Bachmann 2019 announcement has happened.

Could we crowd fund it? Could the interested party take deposits off us for pre-orders

Less than ideal....

Or even an opening for someone to produce a two pack of replacement flush front noses, that could be grafted onto existing models or even an opening for someone to knock out a sealed beam conversion kit, with four accurate looking sealed beams and some instructions, for those of us that are handy with a bit of filler and do not mind doing a respray on the yellow noses.

Anyway it is a first world problem. We shall see

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Premium

Agree - Surely it is open for someone else to produce them now the Bachmann 2019 announcement has happened.

Could we crowd fund it? Could the interested party take deposits of us for pre-orders

Less than ideal....

Or even an opening for someone to produce a two pack of replacement flush front noses, that could be grafted onto existing models or even an opening for someone to knock out a sealed beam conversion kit, with four accurate looking sealed beams and some instructions, for those of us that are handy with a bit of filler and do not mind doing a respray on the yellow noses.

Anyway it is a first world problem. We shall see

Yes, hopefully now someone else could pick this up with a level of confidence - as you say maybe Accurascale, maybe with a link up with Rails of Sheffield for a sideline in all the Tinsley specials or Hattons?