Scottish Depot Emblems

tractor_37260, on 29 Aug 2017 - 18:33, said:snapback.png

Thanks for the info.  Going by this photo from your above link, the Castle does not appear ? to be any bigger than the standard versions fitted to 47/7's 26/27's etc

attachicon.gif47118 MV 070986.jpg

On looking at it again, I'd probably agree with you. The Castle that I'm familiar with (Class 26's & 27's) was approx 12" high. I had a few of these spirited away including one mounted on a lovely varnished board/plaque made by the depot joiner. Sadly, a succession of house moves over the years have seen these gone, much to my dismay.

Eastfield for sure had a large and small Westie and the original Inverness stag was an all white image before they adopted the Yellow & Black Highland Rail logo.

As you confirmed the standard Castle emblems were around 12" high, and L/L No's were approx 14-15" high (although some ScR L/L locos did use a slightly smaller version also)  looking again at the picture of 47 118 - the Castle looks like a standard size version compared to the number size.   AFAIK Fox Transfers makes full size replicas of depot emblems, if your so inclined ? 

Again AFAIK the original Stag used by IS was a small Black Stag on a Yellow background patch, as fitted to 26's and at least one 47 I know off, with the White Stag image following that. When Highland Rail came about, this then became part of the more common, larger Yellow Backed Stag with Highland Rail Branding.

• RMweb Premium

The emblems started life as a symbol for each of the Area Maintenance Engineers (AME) that had loco allocations:

AME North  (Inverness)                       Highland Stag

AME East    (Haymarket)                     Castle

AME West   (Eastfield)                        West Highland Terrier (NOT a Scottie dog)

AME South  (Shields & Motherwell)     Salmon

The AME South West (Ayr & Corkerhill) had no main line loco allocations, and no official logo.

Popular at the time (1980's) were all the railway ties for each AME area or Area Manager (AM) (there was either 8 or 12 AM areas in Scotland)

Some rather poor pics I took of my tie collection which all went on eBay at a time when I needed funds. Reached stupidly high prices too :)

AME Area Ties:

post-22167-0-95684000-1504114728.jpg

AM Area Ties:

post-22167-0-66804900-1504114762.jpg

Other Scottish Region ties:

post-22167-0-92058700-1504114825.jpg

• Like 2

Guest eddie reffin

Talking of the smaller Yellow stags, does anyone actually produce this in 4mm? There seem to be quite a few 27s with it but it's not easy to work out if it would simply be a case of removing the bottom row of text (Highland Rail)

I'm sure I recall seeing a plain blue 47 with this smaller yellow stag but can't remember the loco.

As you confirmed the standard Castle emblems were around 12" high, and L/L No's were approx 14-15" high (although some ScR L/L locos did use a slightly smaller version also)  looking again at the picture of 47 118 - the Castle looks like a standard size version compared to the number size.   AFAIK Fox Transfers makes full size replicas of depot emblems, if your so inclined ? 

Again AFAIK the original Stag used by IS was a small Black Stag on a Yellow background patch, as fitted to 26's and at least one 47 I know off, with the White Stag image following that. When Highland Rail came about, this then became part of the more common, larger Yellow Backed Stag with Highland Rail Branding.

The original Inverness stag was a large white stags head silhouette .

Talking of the smaller Yellow stags, does anyone actually produce this in 4mm? There seem to be quite a few 27s with it but it's not easy to work out if it would simply be a case of removing the bottom row of text (Highland Rail)

I'm sure I recall seeing a plain blue 47 with this smaller yellow stag but can't remember the loco.

Hi Eddie

Rail-Tech 4mm sheet 1280 has all variations of Stags and no's suitable for IS locos. 

The smaller yellow stag was carried by a number of 27's around 1985, photos of the ex PP 27/1 + 2 's when renumbered back to 27/0's mainly have the White Stags. A few 26's also carried the early smaller yellow stags.

The only 47 I recall with it fitted (above the numbers in this case) was BR Blue 47 462 - they may have been others also ?  - some great photos as usual by Roddy MacPhee

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/14223782474/in/photolist-nEUAYS-bzauqb-T4mAyJ-WFSpPi-pmrwGW-XoVVPG-dzMBey-dEaNgu-qDteGh-njWppm-fN8LiB-n2QtvB-abPrNi-e9KSyt-fN8H5e-br2QAq-nYod6a-hAeChC-g373HX-coM8af-kEGeAa-aCpNTp-pXm3Lo-hb6z7j-mfabts-dTjRb6-n2nztH-cwNtSN-dersY5-EjweYz-fJEfLX-okfeS1-ot5FA1-mUGq7Q-S2XYEZ-oAH6Yk-9HnrDY-ngk7MF-9Hjye2-9PNaMS-9y6VSG-8bRMKy-akr6gg-dN2KEF-9RpASC-MX8BPx-UHgri5-nBB5jG-norRch-fBh4j7

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/13799018595/in/photolist-n2nztH-cwNtSN-dersY5-EjweYz-fJEfLX-okfeS1-ot5FA1-mUGq7Q-S2XYEZ-oAH6Yk-9HnrDY-ngk7MF-9Hjye2-9PNaMS-9y6VSG-8bRMKy-akr6gg-dN2KEF-9RpASC-MX8BPx-UHgri5-nBB5jG-norRch-fBh4j7-bRjVbP-dKWE7G-nPrDw1-ySzDb6-W7F8SR-mwwuTA-cimM9W-m68qdZ-goHHKf-6TZUZt-m5f8YC-qKPA4M-7hrTM4-FHdFi-dojEpm-885zge-m68pXi-dMBaUd-UZbfyM-8bNu26-9S9JEM-as8pQk-86QWSR-mYif2G-84n3py-885G1z

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/14657640520/in/photolist-okfeS1-ot5FA1-mUGq7Q-S2XYEZ-oAH6Yk-9HnrDY-ngk7MF-9Hjye2-9PNaMS-9y6VSG-8bRMKy-akr6gg-dN2KEF-9RpASC-MX8BPx-UHgri5-nBB5jG-norRch-fBh4j7-bRjVbP-dKWE7G-nPrDw1-ySzDb6-W7F8SR-mwwuTA-cimM9W-m68qdZ-goHHKf-6TZUZt-m5f8YC-qKPA4M-7hrTM4-FHdFi-dojEpm-885zge-m68pXi-dMBaUd-UZbfyM-8bNu26-9S9JEM-as8pQk-86QWSR-mYif2G-84n3py-885G1z-csfHMu-rjnhyH-dTrz3e-6TfDaF-c9vNW7

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/16528419880/in/photolist-rbytoy-puuvKr-83DAWY-oWc2Yw-nz1qmu-83DB3A-WGqYLN-69DiMM-nEC7Uc-ngFVMh-69Hubd-dFHYjZ-69Huxb-69Hu3W-oW7kYZ-69HtQC-neEHkn-69DiQT-njerBQ-anDZys-opH7Pe-dos6iT-69Hu69-78jQvp-dosf39-c8Hej5-kffZdr-8Y7k1V-2sLC3t-y4o4J-2bncTt-q4aHvC-6rzxjm-8JfF3o-onAjAN-q7AGBt-ocLpmd-nbrJV4-bxXi5A-9mHvAL-3VkTjm-F3bSe8-RPQd1g-QPPgRF-wD13Xv-g1YUR3-Sziaz3-ohQBXS-9qNAW6-nyshLi

HTH

Ken

Guest eddie reffin

Hi Ken

Thanks for that. 462 sounds familiar. Think it was one I planned on doing. I'll order that sheet from Steve as I'm out of stags anyway!

Roddy's pics are brilliant. What is even better is picking his brains at work. Spent many a backshift talking about the 80s!

Cheers

The emblems started life as a symbol for each of the Area Maintenance Engineers (AME) that had loco allocations:

AME West   (Eastfield)                        West Highland Terrier (NOT a Scottie dog)

The AME South West (Ayr & Corkerhill) had no main line loco allocations, and no official logo.

Popular at the time (1980's) were all the railway ties for each AME area or Area Manager (AM) (there was either 8 or 12 AM areas in Scotland)

Some rather poor pics I took of my tie collection which all went on eBay at a time when I needed funds. Reached stupidly high prices too :)

AME Area Ties:

attachicon.gifBritish Rail Scottish Region Ties.jpg

AM Area Ties:

attachicon.gifBritish Rail Regional Area Ties.jpg

attachicon.gifBritish Rail - Scotrail Ties.jpg

Nice  collection of ties -  yes eBay can be very unpredictable at times...................

Guest eddie reffin

AME Area Ties:

attachicon.gifBritish Rail Scottish Region Ties.jpg

AM Area Ties:

attachicon.gifBritish Rail Regional Area Ties.jpg

attachicon.gifBritish Rail - Scotrail Ties.jpg

A bit smarter than the Tartan tie we got to commemorate the Commonwealth Games! Bizarrely, I came across this when I was tidying up earlier, along with a pile of ASLEF ties and my original First group one. Also somewhere I have a WHL one with a Westie on it that I was given by a driver whilst I was a youngster in Oban