Kernow MRC announce four new exclusive editions at Old Oak Common Open Day

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Anything between three and five sleepers at the London end. Lounge car next to the sleepers with the servery at the sleeping car end. Open seated next then brake at the Penzance end with the brake area next to the loco / rear of the train

Two points, there can be extra opens or brakes in the summer to boost seating, and the lounge car normally has the servery (I assume you mean the counter by that?)  towards the open end, not the sleepers, so that you don't have seating only passengers and sleeper passengers mixing.

Edit: not GWR green, but this video shows a typical formation well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIs3tKL7nL4 (not mine) - note that the sleeper coaches are not all the same way round, also quite typical.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

The additional seated coaches are not included in the Kernow pack. They are occasionally needed for capacity but more often included as stock moves with the extra seats being a bonus. There are only three brakes meaning one up, one down and one maintenance spare is the norm. I have been aboard a down working with two brakes where the additional was labelled Coach X. Very few used it - most passengers seemed to use their booked seats - which made for a comfortable night.

• RMweb Gold

The additional seated coaches are not included in the Kernow pack. They are occasionally needed for capacity but more often included as stock moves with the extra seats being a bonus. There are only three brakes meaning one up, one down and one maintenance spare is the norm. I have been aboard a down working with two brakes where the additional was labelled Coach X. Very few used it - most passengers seemed to use their booked seats - which made for a comfortable night.

Yep, I have seen two brakes on six occasions, including three up services in a week (so safe to assume on the down in between) - every time the additional brake, at the rear, has been labelled coach X.

My day coaches and sleepers arrived today - not unpacked yes, but now I can run a nine car Night Riviera, but only by borrowing my son's 57!

Roy

• RMweb Premium

I have only seen load 9 on the GWR-operated Night Riviera once. Brake, open, lounge car and six sleepers of which one was locked up and merely in transit back home. But the loco wasn’t green. This was one of the occasions upon which a yellow 57/3, nicknamed “Sand Castle” in the style of the 57/6 “Castle” names, was hired and used.

• RMweb Gold

I have only seen load 9 on the GWR-operated Night Riviera once. Brake, open, lounge car and six sleepers of which one was locked up and merely in transit back home. But the loco wasn’t green. This was one of the occasions upon which a yellow 57/3, nicknamed “Sand Castle” in the style of the 57/6 “Castle” names, was hired and used.

That was a couple of summers ago wasn't it? As you say 3 and 4 sleepers is quite common, 5 at really busy times.

As an aside, I did hear that the yellow 57s were not very reliable.

Roy

Correct current formation.

London end

G slep 105xx

F slep 105xx

E slep 105xx

D slepd not in pack 106xx

C lounge buffet, seating London end 102xx

B dso toilet London end 121xx

A bo seating London end 171xx

Pz

Pantries are London end except 10594 !

Friday down/ Sunday up has H coach extra slep.

From may, extra slep on all services.

Full details on ukrail forum - Google gwr night Riviera updates !

Windows not correct on models of a,b,c,d as per ad.

Extra coaches and locos tagged on end to/from Long Rock for exam work as required.

The only locos to have worked the service in modelled livery so far are our own 57s and DRS 306.

Edited by Co-tr-Paul

• RMweb Premium

Kernow MRC has always been clear that their models are not exact matches to the prototypes but “best fit” from the standard range using GWR numbers and livery. The difference is most pronounced on the “Mk3b” brake coach.

Edited by Gwiwer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...