Kernow MRC announce four new exclusive editions at Old Oak Common Open Day

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Locomotion NRM ?

As mentioned above it's good to see Hornby doing LE models again. Of note (to me anyway) is that this is 250 models. At one time they wouldn't consider anything less than 1,000 models for a LE

Sorry to repeat myself ......it's his age you know....but Hornby have done quite a few commissions for Locomotion Models limited in number over the last couple of years....HST's,gloss KGV,Flying Scotsman etc.So not a new departure but specifically for Kernow then yes.Going on from this ,it will not surprise me to see Locomotion commission more specifically from Hornby in the very near future.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned above it's good to see Hornby doing LE models again. Of note (to me anyway) is that this is 250 models. At one time they wouldn't consider anything less than 1,000 models for a LE

250 packs of three coaches = 750 pieces. There would probably be a few spares as well. So almost 1000 even if three different sets of numbers have to be applied.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Agree, I understand that Hornby are now happy to do commissioned models in orders of fewer than 1,000 provided they have the necessary tooling.   No doubt a commercial move on their part as they have taken note of the business others can pick up in this way and, as Sarah E noted, probably taking advantage of the flexibility offered by the factories they use.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to repeat myself ......it's his age you know....but Hornby have done quite a few commissions for Locomotion Models limited in number over the last couple of years....HST's,gloss KGV,Flying Scotsman etc.So not a new departure but specifically for Kernow then yes.Going on from this ,it will not surprise me to see Locomotion commission more specifically from Hornby in the very near future.

Ah, but the circumstances were, I believe, slightly different in the case of Locomotion where I seem to recall a former Hornby employee was at the time also occupying a role with Locomotion ;)

Their involvement now with Kernow is I think indicative of a rather different, and new, commercial initiative on Hornby's part. 

Sorry to step in again. You raise a valid points. I did personally forget about the Locomotion LEs. But what we're trying to say is that Hornby in the past have always been shying away from other commissioned LEs. It's companies like Bachmann and DJM most noted for LEs especially those done for retailers.

I hope you now understand what we mean by our statements regarding Hornby and LEs for retailers.

Sorry to step in again. You raise a valid points. I did personally forget about the Locomotion LEs. But what we're trying to say is that Hornby in the past have always been shying away from other commissioned LEs. It's companies like Bachmann and DJM most noted for LEs especially those done for retailers.

I hope you now understand what we mean by our statements regarding Hornby and LEs for retailers.

You are forgetting Model Rail's limited edition from Hornby in 2013 of RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight 91110.

Could we also count the Drax commissioned IIA Tafoos hopper wagons? I think so!

But yes, it is a welcomed move from KMRC - as long as they are not gloss!

• RMweb Gold

You are forgetting Model Rail's limited edition from Hornby in 2013 of RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight 91110.

Could we also count the Drax commissioned IIA Tafoos hopper wagons? I think so!

But yes, it is a welcomed move from KMRC - as long as they are not gloss!

Interesting few posts here.Replying to your comment on gloss and Stationmaster Mike's observations on the role played by the much missed Simon Kohler in Locomotion's limited editions,it perhaps should be noted that the choice of gloss in their KGV was not made by Simon (he wasn't keen) .Actually,I think it dramatically improved the finish of the (then) Hornby BR green on the King and personally I quite like it.That however is a personal preference and I appreciate why some are averse to it.So no not entirely the result ofSK's short tenure at Shildon. Rhetorical question must be what qualifies then for the title of a Hornby "Limited Edition". Well we could debate forever to little purpose

Chris Trerise continues to charm us with his Cornish delights continuing with his West Country flavour. Now that there is this new found accord with Hornby,I wonder if it's possible to turn his attention a little further back in time to stalwarts of the GWR and WR modelled by Hornby which saw sevice west of Plymouth.First up is surely a Penzance Grange.And then of course,the much maligned (but ultimately successful ) Hawksworth County.The latter is a big ask I know as a completely new model is sorely needed . Its absence in the catalogue of quality r-t-r models is a glaring omission.Just a thought..or two.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

I'm surprised by the 47306 model - the 47365 catalogue model in the same livery seemed to be difficult to sell even at great discounts.

Yeah, that's true , I think the one I brought was £65 from hattons - wrong roof config, but I made it 47033 because I really wanted " royal logistics corps ".

They may have been better with a 47/0 in RFd as better renumber options .maybe as 306 was at blazey for a long time this has prompted it, but as alluded to I don't think it ' worked ' from there.

Anyway, lets see and I wish them all the best .

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Premium

Just a pity the Mk3 Sleepers are the old Lima tooling and not a new model although despite its age the model does still look the part if a little dated on the detail compared with more modern coach models.

• RMweb Premium

Yes they do look the part since Hornby has refined the Lima tooling somewhat.  We should expect flush glazing and current-generation metal wheels (not Lima pizza cutters nor Hornby plastic) and crisp printing of the livery and detail.  The roof ribs can be pared down if they come out too prominent but I'm happy enough with my earlier Hornby-release ones even on that score.

Just a pity the Mk3 Sleepers are the old Lima tooling and not a new model although despite its age the model does still look the part if a little dated on the detail compared with more modern coach models.

Aye, it is a tough decision. To wait for a couple of years until Oxford Rail delivers high detailed Mk3 Sleepers. Or get these if they are not in gloss finish. Email sent to KMRC as to the finish and the answer shall make the decision easy for me.

Ah. To gloss or not to gloss. What a predicament for the manufacturers.

Personally I want them to match the standard release coaches!  If its done 'right' in Gloss, they should look pretty nice.  Bachmann's 57 in GWR in my opinion looks a little Dull.

Regards. 

Personally I want them to match the standard release coaches!  If its done 'right' in Gloss, they should look pretty nice.  Bachmann's 57 in GWR in my opinion looks a little Dull.

Regards. 

I don’t think quite enough thought was put into diesels for the Royal Train. Bachmann’s 47s and Hornby’s 67s both have very dull finishes. Even nowadays, when we have deprived her maj of the royal yacht, a little effort is put into smartening them up before royal service.

Perhaps, thanks to HRH’s very sensible liking for steam, royal diesels will become a thing of the past and a little bit of the future will belong to steam!

I don’t think quite enough thought was put into diesels for the Royal Train. Bachmann’s 47s and Hornby’s 67s both have very dull finishes. Even nowadays, when we have deprived her maj of the royal yacht, a little effort is put into smartening them up before royal service.

Perhaps, thanks to HRH’s very sensible liking for steam, royal diesels will become a thing of the past and a little bit of the future will belong to steam!

In all honesty GWR/FGW, call it what you will, tend to keep their stock pretty clean, so hopefully gloss will not look too out of place.

As a side note - unfortunately I could not get to Old Oak, but having seen some of the photos, they should be applauded for the effort they made.  Particularly regards 43093's livery and the Class 180 (only thing I would have said is the rest of the 180 would in my opinion have looked better if the FGW blue/purple coaches, had also been decked out in GWR Green too). 

• Like 1

That's true. There is a guy on YouTube who posts layout vids and a recent one was T cutting and then applying car wax to the royals train stock to make it look the part.came up very well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

£160 for an analogue Class 47 is just pure insanity

Not really that much at all, if it is what the market will bear, and it is a desirable item.

It is a lot of money, but its about the cost of two tickets to watch  the Arsenal (seeing as almost everyone on here seems to compare things to Premier League football prices for some reason) or a decent dinner and a drink or two for four people in a mid level pub/restaurant,

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid that is the ball-park market price now. Much more than we were paying a few years ago but costs have risen sharply. There are bargains out there but come back this time next year and I suspect £160 will be looking quite cheap.

• RMweb Premium

That's true. There is a guy on YouTube who posts layout vids and a recent one was T cutting and then applying car wax to the royals train stock to make it look the part.came up very well.

Do you know what his username was? Or a link to the video maybe?