Kernow MRC announce four new exclusive editions at Old Oak Common Open Day

Andy Y

Presumably they only have a maximum of 504 of each to sell anyway. It then comes down to how long they are able and/or willing to stand the cost of carrying the stock

Ultimately, if too many people cease buying Limited Edition 47s (or anything else, for that matter) at prices that produce an adequate return on investment, KMRC (and any others) commissioning them will simply stop doing so.

John

I would love 47701 but Kernow are doing so many exclusives at the moment that I cannot keep up. Between the Bullied diesels, 4-TCs, gate stock and many others, they probably did not need to do the 47s right now, and may have gone into overkill on limited editions.

While I think it is nice to have such a choice, saturation can be fatal both for the retailer and for future such editions. 

• RMweb Premium

To be fair the gate stock and Bulleid diesels should have come out years ago. The apparent glut of commissions is not really under Kernow's control and I bet their stock room is groaning with barely an inch to move. Not ideal all round but like buses you wait for ages then they all arrive together ;)

• RMweb Gold

To be fair the gate stock and Bulleid diesels should have come out years ago. The apparent glut of commissions is not really under Kernow's control and I bet their stock room is groaning with barely an inch to move. Not ideal all round but like buses you wait for ages then they all arrive together ;)

I would also point out that the four new models are pretty much aimed at a different audience to the gate stock / Bulleids /  warships etc. Yes there will be a few who collect multiple eras, but not that many.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely true - I'm starting to get rather wary of popping down next month to collect what would amount to a very large parcel if sent through the post as I seriously wonder about finding space to get into the despatch room or upstairs or wherever to collect my goodies.   Roy has of course very sensibly pointed out that not everybody is in the market for everything (I have no interest in the Gate Stock or the Bulleid diesels as it happens, not any of the OOC announcements) but as you've said all might have to squeezed into the one storage and packaging area so the logistics challenge will definitely be on in Camborne in the coming months.

And of course some of the saturation is very definitely down to projects over-running their original timescales for whatever reason - a problem which any retailer or manufacturer can get lumbered with so no reason why commissioners wouldn't suffer too.

Edited by The Stationmaster

How can a class 47 (Diamond Jubilee) sell for £65 18 months ago and now a Class 47 (granted its limited edition) cost £160? Either the model was too cheap 18 months ago (unlikely), or people are ramping up the prices now and blaming it on "China".

Put it this way, I doubt the wages of Chinese workers have doubled in the last 18 months!

Im also surprised at this one being offered in a weathered finish, when for a good time in its BR career it was kept immaculate with whitewalled tyres, painted axlebox covers, painted pipes on the bogie sides etc. Also will it have a black headcode box at No2 end?

I know they have chosen it as its preserved locally to KMRC but its not the only 47 to wear this livery

How can a class 47 (Diamond Jubilee) sell for £65 18 months ago and now a Class 47 (granted its limited edition) cost £160? Either the model was too cheap 18 months ago (unlikely), or people are ramping up the prices now and blaming it on "China".

Neither. Its a case of simple economics. The shop selling it for £65 had not merely bought that one but box or boxes full of them for £x. They then sold them for £y each and at some point the amount sold reached £x; thereafter any sold was pure profit regardless of whatever price they sold it at.

Neither. Its a case of simple economics. The shop selling it for £65 had not merely bought that one but box or boxes full of them for £x. They then sold them for £y each and at some point the amount sold reached £x; thereafter any sold was pure profit regardless of whatever price they sold it at.

See my post following the one you quoted, RE £83.

Im also surprised at this one being offered in a weathered finish, when for a good time in its BR career it was kept immaculate with whitewalled tyres, painted axlebox covers, painted pipes on the bogie sides etc. Also will it have a black headcode box at No2 end?

I know they have chosen it as its preserved locally to KMRC but its not the only 47 to wear this livery

Weathered finishes force everyone to pay for mediocre weathering and force those interested to pay a second time to have it done properly. 

Weathered finishes force everyone to pay for mediocre weathering and force those interested to pay a second time to have it done properly.

Factory weathering has come along way in the past few years and is getting better with each release, especially from Kernow (47706 for example). I do agree in some cases it still needs work (latest weathered Mainline 37242)

If it's not to your taste then don't buy it, or you could always learn to remove the weathering and apply it yourself to avoid spending money. Heck, I think there's a term for that, it's called modelling!

Absolutely true - I'm starting to get rather wary of popping down next month to collect what would amount to a very large parcel if sent through the post as I seriously wonder about finding space to get into the despatch room or upstairs or wherever to collect my goodies.   Roy has of course very sensibly pointed out that not everybody is in the market for everything (I have no interest in the Gate Stock or the Bulleid diesels as it happens, not any of the OOC announcements) but as you've said all might have to squeezed into the one storage and packaging area so the logistics challenge will definitely be on in Camborne in the coming months.

And of course some of the saturation is very definitely down to projects over-running their original timescales for whatever reason - a problem which any retailer or manufacturer can get lumbered with so no reason why commissioners wouldn't suffer too.

Admittedly all their southern goodies come on top of a load of other southern goodies being produced elsewhere. Kernow's dispatch room had a very busy time last year just with Modelrails USA tanks. Somewhat smaller box wise than those posted here. The 4TCs will take an awful amount of space. Then the GWR tanks, the Bullied diesels, gate stock and others. I can see it now. "Please avoid calling Kernow before March 2018, they busy getting the parcels out".

• RMweb Gold

Admittedly all their southern goodies come on top of a load of other southern goodies being produced elsewhere. Kernow's dispatch room had a very busy time last year just with Modelrails USA tanks. Somewhat smaller box wise than those posted here. The 4TCs will take an awful amount of space. Then the GWR tanks, the Bullied diesels, gate stock and others. I can see it now. "Please avoid calling Kernow before March 2018, they busy getting the parcels out".

And I sincerely hope that people remember this when complaining that their model has not been received within 30 seconds of arrival from China. I remember some very impatient people when the 71s arrived.

Anybody who has visited Kernow will appreciate just how small their post room is - it is a miracle they achieve what they do.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In regards to the MK3 sleeper coaches, how many should one get in order to run a full rake with a Bachmann Class 57 GWR?

Thanks

Four. Sometimes only three and occasionally five but four is normal

• RMweb Gold

In regards to the MK3 sleeper coaches, how many should one get in order to run a full rake with a Bachmann Class 57 GWR?

Thanks

To add to Gwiwer's reply - the usual formation is (in order) 4 x SLEP, 1 x RFB (seating towards SLEP coaches), 1 x TSO, 1 x BUO. Most of the time the SLEPs are towards London when leaving Penzance (although the train can reverse en-route).

In the summer, as noted, an extra SLEP may be added as may an extra seating coach. I have seen the latter as both an extra TSO or an extra BUO.

Hope that helps,

​Roy

• RMweb Premium

All manner of extempore formations can turn up as there is very little spare in the rolling stock roster. Two BUOs is far from unknown with the third running in the opposite direction

One night in 2015 I was surprised to see not only a yellow loco pointing west at Paddington (57310 and nicknamed "Sand Castle") but no fewer than 10 coaches on the hook. BUO - BUO - TSO - RFB and six SLEPs. Something had got out of whack possibly through one or more coaches having been "stopped" at the London end

The leading BUO was labelled Coach X which doesn't appear on the reservation plan so was almost empty all the way down (except for me happily occupying a full bay of four seats for the night) and the last sleeper was locked out of use but the other five were fully booked.

Edited by Gwiwer

Thanks everyone. As I'm new to this, can someone tell me what the definitions are?

And out of those acronyms, what ones does Hornby produce?

Lastly, do the sleeper trains not also have a buffet coach?

Thanks

EDIT: Wiki says there are 10 sleeper coaches on the sleeper train entry? Is that correct?

Edited by hamish_barb

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone. As I'm new to this, can someone tell me what the definitions are?

And out of those acronyms, what ones does Hornby produce?

Lastly, do the sleeper trains not also have a buffet coach?

Thanks

BUO: Brake Unclassified Open

RMB: Restaurant Miniature Buffet

SLEP: Sleeper Either Class with Pantry

TSO: Tourist Standard Open / Trailer Standard Open

So, yes, they have a buffet.

As for Hornby’s models, somebody else will have to answer that.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

Hornby only produce the sleeping cars. The rest would need some modelling work done to adapt their standard Mk3 coaches. No commercially-produced coach resembles the unique trio of Mk3b BUO coaches so a significant amount of work would be required there. The sleeper lounge car / buffet is RFB (Restaurant First Buffet) not RMB (Restaurant Miniature Buffet) as the catering area and level of service are both more extensive than "miniature"

Ten sleeping cars (Wikipedia) probably refers to the total number GWR has on lease. Normally formed as four each on the up and down trains with one spare at Long Rock and one away for heavy maintenance / facelift. When five are required for busier trains that is sometimes balanced by having only three on the other set to still allow some spare capacity. Typically the down Thursday and Friday trains are the busiest with the up on Sunday being the heavy loader in the opposite direction. With no Saturday night trains the Thursday-up, Friday-down set can be made up to five sleepers provided the Thursday-down set only has four.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Gold

The sleeper lounge car / buffet is RFB (Restaurant First Buffet) not RMB (Restaurant Miniature Buffet) as the catering area and level of service are both more extensive than "miniature"

Why did I put RMB? I know its not one of those, I have sat in it often enough! Sorry to Hamish_Barb and thanks to Gwiwer to point it out.

To add to the story, the spare BUO is normally kept at Long Rock as well, sat next to the spare SLEP(s).

How different is the sleeper train TSO to this one: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gwr-mk3-coach-standard-open-tso.html given Hornby have buffers on it already?

​Roy