Parkside PS44 GWR Brake, Dia AA19

brossard

• 2 years later...

Drat, I didn't take a photo of what I did and I don't have the van (I built it for a friend).  I dredged up the instructions.  The part has to do with the manual brake.

I can't remember exactly how I did it.

I have some photos that may (or may not help), I'll PM you coz' they're not mine.

John

• Thanks 1

I suppose on one level, it is a good thing you can't see my soldering. :clapping:

Soldering comes with practice.  It is possible to solder near plastic but you have to very quick.

Nothing magic really.  Good iron with shiny tip, 145 solder and flux.  Don't use lead free, utter rubbish for modelling.

Another thing that, from pictures of others work, doesn't get enough attention is cleanup.  Sloppy solder joints look bad and indicate poor workmanship.  I have an old curved Xacto blade that I use to scrape excess solder.  Finish with a fiber pen which I find indispensable.  Some fine diamond files are good to have too.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

There's a discussion on that earlier in the thread.  I settled on 0.9mm for the main handrail and 0.5mm for the door.

Always a good idea to have a stock of wire, tube and other brass shapes.  Eileens Emporium is good for that.

John

• Thanks 1

Hi John
Your brakevan has come out amazingly, always thought brown suited the Toad brake vans better than gray. Just out of interest how do you weather your models? Have used powders in the past but never tried it with an airbrush.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom, I use both.  I start with an airbrush with just two colours.  My first pass is earth/dirt on the underframe and solebars with overspray on the body.  I also do a pass on the roof.  Next is black to tone down the earth.

Powders are umber and black applied in layers to the solebars.  This gives some definition to the grundge that is found there.  A small amount of rust is applied to springs and brake blocks.  All vigorously rubbed in and the excess rubbed off with a medium brush.

A VERY small amount of powder (so easy to overdo it) is used to highlight body detail, umber and black again.

I learned the basics from my late friend and refined my method over time. 

HTH

John

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a look at the pictures of the real thing I have and on Google.  Some have rainstrips, others don't.  I don't know the criteria.  I didn't do it on the van I built.  Maybe I'm wrong.

John