Minerva announce O Gauge Iron Mink van

Andy Y

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished weathering a GWR liveried Minerva Iron Mink. Charles Atlas "before and after"  shot shown for comparison. I can supply weathered Iron Minks to order. Send a PM for details.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-16554700-1521838461_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-21465800-1521838481_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-95350000-1521838507_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 6 months later...

Has anyone done anything to their covered iron wagons which requires matching the original paint?

I have a large number of the vans with the 25" GW lettering and I am going to change some of the numbers... In discussion with Chris Klein he has advised removing the numbers entirely so that the new numbering does not show any indication of the previous lettering. Clearly this advice means using a scratch brush and then re-painting. - whilst tedious I have no problem with following the recommendation.

Today I have sprayed some test panels with several different versions of GWR grey for wagons, being:-

* Precision P19 GWR Freight Wagon Grey;

* JLTRT PWSA027 GWR Wagon Grey;

* JLTRT PWSA048 GWR Freight Grey .

To my eye both of the JLTRT cans are lighter than the Minerva vans... the Precision can spluttered to a dribble and failed to provide a sample panel.

What have people used as a colour match to the Minerva grey?

Chris, might I have a paint spec for the model so that I can get some mixed locally?

Regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star

Has anyone done anything to their covered iron wagons which requires matching the original paint?

I have a large number of the vans with the 25" GW lettering and I am going to change some of the numbers... In discussion with Chris Klein he has advised removing the numbers entirely so that the new numbering does not show any indication of the previous lettering. Clearly this advice means using a scratch brush and then re-painting. - whilst tedious I have no problem with following the recommendation.

Today I have sprayed some test panels with several different versions of GWR grey for wagons, being:-

* Precision P19 GWR Freight Wagon Grey;

* JLTRT PWSA027 GWR Wagon Grey;

* JLTRT PWSA048 GWR Freight Grey .

To my eye both of the JLTRT cans are lighter than the Minerva vans... the Precision can spluttered to a dribble and failed to provide a sample panel.

What have people used as a colour match to the Minerva grey?

Chris, might I have a paint spec for the model so that I can get some mixed locally?

Regards, Graham

Grahame,

The grey we used is NCS S 7502-B. The nearest Pantone is 7540C.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just put in an order for 5 vans. 

I don't know if I would be brave enough to weather any of them yet!

Cheers, Ade.

I thought I recognised the logo in the background of your photo as I drive past Etwall twice a day. A search shows me that you are a military man - Major Klein will be pleased that his vans are going to a good home . . . . . 

I won't add any more - I'll let Chris search around to find the connection !

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, you got me!

Yes, I work at Hansons. Been there 4 years now. 

We do get a fair amount of model railway items in and all seems to fetch decent prices at auction. I actually sold all my OO gauge stuff at work last year.

I am very pleased the the Iron Minks and GPV's. They arrived on Saturday. I can highly recommend them.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/02/2020 at 20:27, Quarryscapes said:

Anyone dismantled one yet? Ian see a Gunpowder van getting converted to a Cambrian Railways version with a bit of an underframe remodel I think...

To dismantle, unclip the roof, remove the two screws under the van that secure the underframe to the body. Inside the wagon use a small flat-bladed screwdriver to ease the plastic clips holding the body to the underframe. The brake gear can be removed by soaking the glued joints with clean white spirit which after about 30 to 40 seconds will dissolve the adhesive and all removal of the parts. 

Chris K

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...