Kingsbridge - workshop

NoelG

CIE Brake Parcel Van finished at last. Converted from a Bachmann LMS parcel van. Lightly weathered using a mix of weathering powders and airbrush. I've enjoyed doodling with this little project. :)

IMG_5169.jpg

I'm reasonably happy the way the light weathering turned out.

IMG_5167.jpg

Woodvale Junction station pilot about to shunt CIE brake parcel van onto rake of laminate coaches.

IMG_5170.jpg

The Bachmann donor before and after conversion

IMG_5190.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 4

Next up on the bench - Bachmann BCK conversion to RPSI maroon GSV 3173

IMG_5287.jpg

This will take a bit of time.  Getting the glazing off will require patience and then there is lots of cutting and shutting and rearranging of plastic.  This will keep me ticking over while I swap between other mini projects.

• Like 3

Back doodling with the pair pseudo ex-GSWR ballast ploughs converted from 1972 Tri-ang GWR brake vans.  Jeepers these old plastic models were rough mouldings in their day, with loads of flash and mould line ridges that had to be filed and sanded down. Dog rough but then again they were designed to be thrown out of cots! smile.png

Got the windows cut out and framed, removed the industrial revolution sized brass coupling rivets, got the massive metal tri-ang tension lock coupling removed and all the surplus plastic from the chassis including brake gear. Just fitted a NEM pocket that will take a Bachmann tension lock or a Kadee no 19, which is seen here test fitted with the kadee coupling gauge. Had to decide what size wheel i'd fit before aligning the NEM pocket for ride height.

First coat of primer on the body, a few spots of filler needed. The chassis were made out of a very soft bendable plastic - cot proof I guess. Before going much further need to figure out how I'm going to fit the oil lamps and a flickering stove light. Chimneys to be moved and stanchions added to the veranda.  Think I'm crazy trying to recycle this pair but its fun doodling occasionally with them.

IMG_5321.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Stephens 3D link over on IRM forum I decided to try a two axle timber wagon.  Started on the bench today. I recycled and part cannibalised an old Triang chassis I had since childhood. If I like the look of it when I'm finished might try scratch building a few more bodies using this as a measurement template.

IMG_5580.jpg

DIY NEM 362 pockets fitted so I can use Kadee or TLCs in the future.

IMG_5581.jpg

• Like 2

Work continues on the sample 3D two axle timber wagon. Painted and weathered, just decals, vacuum pipes and white tips left to do. Happy with the way the kadee worked out on the ancient 1972 Tri-ang wagon chassis - now thats recycling.

IMG_5610.jpg

May try and copy this body with a few pasticard repeats. I've loads more old Tri-ang wagons for chassis donors.

IMG_5607.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good job Noel, I was thinking of getting a few myself.  The surface does not seem as good as on Neil's wagons.

Hi 

Yes the  quality variation of FUD - untra detail and WSF - strong flexible does show up the available and prices of the various media available today.  Hopefully the timber wagon is available in FUD - must go and look.  The WSF finish can be improved using Halfords filler spray primer - intended for plastic bumpers , I use a coat of grey primer on the cleaned WSF and then a coat of filler primer -a light sand back to leave a mottled grey yellow finsh with yellow in the hollows and grey on the "peaks" gives a good start , mainly on large flatish sides works best, but sanding can remove some details which might need to be rebuilt using plasticard or perhaps Archers resin rivet/ shape transfers.       

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just loving this Irish Freight Models CIE Bogie TPO kit. Very straight forward and easy to do. Got stuck in this evening with some tweaks before painting later this week. I had a spare set of Keen systems suspended sprung gangways so reluctantly replaced the excellent ones that came with the kit. As I'm modelling a late incarnation of 2977 (photo Paul Haywood) I've made just a slight modification panelling over where the automatic collection apparatus would have been. Can't wait to run it with 3185 and even with a mk2d rake as regularly happened on the Galway route - strange but true, and it will equally be at home mixed with other B&T era coaching stock.

IMG_6065.jpg

Keen systems suspended LMS gangways with sprung covers will aid close coupling and reduced gap between coaches

IFM_CIE_Bogie_TPO_Kit_01.jpg

As I am modelling a late incarnation of 2977 the apparatus doors have been panelled over

IMG_6062.jpg

Tomorrow running trials with kadee's before painting and transfers over the coming days.  

IMG_6064.jpg

I'm enjoying this kit so much I'm tempted to do another in CIE flying snail green variation. 

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 4

Prep for spraying. Used masking tape to create a wind brake (spray curtain) so I could spray the white and orange in the one session. 

IMG_6069.jpg

These are sprayed in approximate positions prior to reverse masking over them and finally spraying black. The edges of the white and orange don't have a ridge so when spraying black later there won't be a visible ridge line where the other colours ended. Will leave this for 24hrs and then put 2mm masking tape over the white and mask over the the orange.

IMG_6071.jpg

Edited by NoelG

Irish Freight Models CIE bogie TPO kit progress. Decals applied on top of coat of gloss varnish, finished later with a coat of matt varnish to seal and help the weathering effect. Just glazing and hand rails left to apply plus a few tiny little extra bits I want to add from photos. Oh yes and the under frames! :) 

IMG_6140.jpg

Got kadee's fitted which worked really well on track trials due to the sprung Keen gangway. I added a little extra lead weight over each bogie and she is proving a very smooth and reliable runner. I've really enjoyed working on this kit. When finished will post up some pics of her running with CIE GSV 3185.

IMG_6136.jpg

I'm tempted to do another this time in flying snail green livery. Such a unique coach.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

Very nice. I have some shots of the green one in Downpatrick if you need them but don't paint it in the light faded colour it is today. 

Thanks Pat

That would be great.  I'll let you know when I start it later in the summer. I was thinking something closer to this shade of green perhaps - what do you think? Different coach of course but I imagine the post 1955 green was similar. I presume the TPO in the photos from Downpatrick still have the doors that were later panelled over at the end of the CIE B&T days.

Noel

Photo below from flickr posted by Richie over on IRM13675696605_a035b20cb2_b.jpg

• 4 months later...

Summer break from my toy trains has meant the TPO kit hadn't been touched since May! :) 

Some more progress on the IFM CIE bogie TPO.  Glazing, window bars, under frame and converted the Bachmann commonwealth bogies to Kadee couplings.

Painted evergreen rods stock onto back of glazing to give some perspective instead of painting the bars onto the glazing.

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8121.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8164.jpg

Just the handrails left to do and the internal lighting and tail lamp.

IMG_8126.jpg

More anon . . . waiting for paint to dry on handrails and tail lamp. smile.png

• Like 1

After the summer pause, finally finished the TPO kit.  Enjoyed working on this kit. The only additions I made were a pair Keen Systems LMS sprung gangways, filled in the apparatus panels as I was doing the later CIE variant, stuck bars behind the window glazing, added Kadee couplings to the Bachmann commonwealth bogies, and lighting. 

IMG_8183.jpg

I'm bored now, what's happening next . . . smile.png

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back to B121 project. Jeepers there is an awful lot of wire grab rails on these locos. Nearly done, just glazing, vacuum pipes and some supplementary weathering powders left.

IMG_8533.jpg

Bending all those wire grab rails with a basic needle nose pliers was fun.

IMG_8532.jpg

On delivery 121s did not have full length walkway rails, just shunters stands. The full length walkway rails were added some time during the Black'n'Tan livery era. I've gone for the earlier incarnation below with a little poetic license.

IMG_8528.jpg

Before painting the grab rails. Fiddle faddle my eyes and fingers are tired. The cab front steps were frustratingly mind bending to form. smile.png

IMG_8526.jpg

Nearly done.

• Like 2