Kingsbridge - workshop

NoelG

B121 is now virtually complete. Glazing, Railings and buffer beam now done. She is a smooth runner being on a 3rd generation Athearn SW1500 chassis which is centre AWD and AWP. Just got the driver and cab interior left to do and then add a sound speaker. Thrilled to have a 121 to run on the layout on its own and in consist with B141.

IMG_8537.jpg

B121 ready for service

IMG_8544.jpg

The new fuel tank and bogies sides help hide the original Athearn chassis

IMG_8534.jpg

Left drivers window open as it was a hot day.

IMG_8543.jpg

Before- The donor chassis was an Athearn SW1500 3rd generation 

IMG_7587.jpg

In the beginning- Shapeways 121 3D body shell before adjustment

IMG_7585.jpg

• Like 2

I thought B121 was finished but noticed earlier I'd forgotten the windscreen wipers, tablet catchers and horns. banghead.gif&key=92e7e5ecdf264be2c6997ff Doh!

Every time you look at something like this you see more things you want to tweak but there is a time to call a halt, just be content and enjoy the end result. smile.png  

I hope this is finally finished at last. hyper.gif&key=1d7263be233561d34fab35321a Time to play methinks. 

IMG_8567.jpg

The 'haughty' 121 beast look

IMG_8568.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

A little progress on MIR Kits. Irish Cement curtain pallet wagons. Fitted white metal break gear and fettled bodies clean (flash, fit, etc), drilled holes for wheel bearings.  

IMG_9224.jpg

I do find all fiddling with white metal bits tedious. Next up a coat of primer.

IMG_9223.jpg

• Like 1

Primed using Halfords plastic grey primer, using fan spray booth I got last year from BartSharp. Duct of booth sticks out vellum window eliminates noxious smells and paint fumes from house.

IMG_9225.jpg

Primed up and ready for next stage of detailing and adding a few more bits before painting and finishing

IMG_9226.jpg

Now to mix a few shades of blue :) 

IMG_9229.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got these finished (well almost). 4 x MIR Irish Cement Pallet curtain wagons lightly weathered. Every time I look at a photo of the prototype I see another bit I'd like to add or tweak. There is a time to call a halt. Vacuum pipes and coupling hooks added, kadee couplings in place. The only thing left to do is highlight the curtain strap fasteners/tensioners.

IMG_9849.jpg

Getting the decals into the recessed solebar was fustraighting fun and eye wreaking. :) 

IMG_9850.jpg

Release to traffic on the layout tonight behind B165 

IMG_9856.jpg

Really enjoyed working on these MIR kits despite a two week break in the middle for a family holiday.

IMG_9857.jpg

What next? Sculting a 4xxx CAF DVT look-a-like from some BR Hornby donor DVT, some razor saw cutting and soft balsa fairing may be needed create the distinctive duck face look or IR's mk4 DVT. :) Alternatively I might try the MIR drop sided pallet wagons to go with these. :)  

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 23:28, NoelG said:

What next? Sculting a 4xxx CAF DVT look-a-like from some BR Hornby donor DVT, some razor saw cutting and soft balsa fairing may be needed create the distinctive duck face look or IR's mk4 DVT. :) 

Have a go at the Mk4 DVT, this was my crude attempt many years ago with plasticard on a Virgin coach.  I think SSM did the decals.

IMG_5824.JPG.734760af3d683dcea68dcd3498dc6c7c.JPG

23 hours ago, Junctionmad said:

One tail lamp in your era Noel ! 

Dave 

Ahem :) the fitted cement pallet wagons ran 20 years after my era! :) By then two tail lamps were the norm. 

Edited by NoelG

43 minutes ago, kirley said:

Have a go at the Mk4 DVT, this was my crude attempt many years ago with plasticard on a Virgin coach.  I think SSM did the decals.

IMG_5824.JPG.734760af3d683dcea68dcd3498dc6c7c.JPG

Wow, nice job, you've really captured the unique 'duck face' look of the 4xxx class Mk4 CAF DVT and the distinctive humpback whale roof profile over the cab those DVTs have:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NoelG said:

Ahem :) the fitted cement pallet wagons ran 20 years after my era! :) By then two tail lamps were the norm. 

In general these wagons , the drop side ones anyway were built under the 1975 freight modernization plan , I think cie ran with one tail lamp well into the 80s even 90s from my recollections , I’m sure an expert will come along soon 

I think the two tail lamp scenario is very modern possible into the LED lamp days ,

4 hours ago, Junctionmad said:

In general these wagons , the drop side ones anyway were built under the 1975 freight modernization plan , I think cie ran with one tail lamp well into the 80s even 90s from my recollections , I’m sure an expert will come along soon 

I think the two tail lamp scenario is very modern possible into the LED lamp days ,

If you look closely at the wagon you will see I have fitted two white lanterns not modern LED lamps! :) Circa 1990ish I guess. Any wagon with air or vacuum brakes is modern era so two lamps it is  :) :) :) 

PS: Now I'm tempted to put two lamps on my 20ton 1960s CIE planked brake van!

Edited by NoelG

• 1 year later...

A CV-19 free afternoon at the workbench today. Some progress on 6 CIE Vans and 4 CIE flying snail era open goods wagons 5 plank. Dapol donors inexpensive and good value.

IMG_5151.jpg

Next up chassis, varnish, decals, weathering

IMG_5151.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got 3 of these more or less finished this evening. This hobby is perfect for helping alleviate cabin fever at this time.

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg

Three more to complete, then a few open 5 plank CIE flying snail era wagons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pat141 said:

They do look good, you must be pleased.

Cheers, reasonably pleased how they turned out considering it was my first time without using the airbrush to weather  vans. Weathering powders in solution 50% water 50% decalfix, brushed on as a wash, then wiped off using cotton buds after partial dry.