Kingsbridge - workshop

NoelG

Workbench escapism. Got some more finished today, more CIE 5 plank open wagons on the way. Kadee'd the lot. These will operate on the Ennis to Athenry line visiting Gort. Hopefully will end up with about 10 of these 1960s era wagons when finished. Really enjoying the learning curve with stuff like this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed working on Provincial Wagons CIE double beet wagon kit.

IMG_5568.jpg

Kit contents along which also included detailed instructions

IMG_5539.jpg

Wheels fitted well and she ran well and true.

IMG_5552b.jpg

Brake gubbins under the sole bar,

IMG_5555b.jpg

Primed with Halfords grey rather than red oxide

IMG_5554.jpg

Weathered using a mix of red oxide and rust, To give the impression the wagon was originally oxide red but weathered off letting the original grey show through.

IMG_5563.jpg

A few final details are due to finish her off

IMG_5568.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started first of five provincial wagons CIE cattle wagon kit.

IMG_6320.jpg

Deflashed and prepared parts

IMG_6330.JPG

Resin Mouldings were in good shape, just the usually removal of flashing, some filing, cutting and sanding, but basically all the parts fit together fairly well. The roof needed a little encouragement not nothing major.

IMG_6325.JPG

Start assembly of body

IMG_6334.JPG

Elastic bands held body parts in place while the super glue set (ie taking between 3-10mins rather than the usual 10-20 seconds)

IMG_6335.JPG

Modellers G clamp used to hold body sides in compression against chassis while glue set

IMG_6337.JPG

Got the roof on fairly quickly and elastic bands as ever held everything square and in place

IMG_6338.JPG

Wire parts added for upper grills, door handles and buffers

IMG_6339.JPG

Diagonal bracing straps and break lever added

IMG_6349.JPG

First coat of primer sprayed on (Hycote plastic grey primer = sale chemical as Halfords). Whoops forget the brake lever protector under the ramp door.

IMG_6352.JPG

Brake lever protector formed from aluminium strip rather than the supplied staples.

IMG_6358.JPG

Second coat of primer applied after brake lever protectors glued in place under the ramp doors. That's enough done for today. Decoration tomorrow.

IMG_6364.JPG

Wheel sets get the usual coat of sleeper grime to simulate rust and grime. Can't have a 1950s wagon which shiney metal wheels. Good evening. Done for today.

IMG_6362.JPG

Really enjoyed working on this kit so far and looking forward to decorating it. Four more to go.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Some projects on the go:

IMG_6661.JPG

This pair probably won't be finished until well after the MM 121s arrive later this month.

IMG_6667.JPG

122 in super train livery, can consist with my existing B121 Black'n'Tan livery

IMG_6651.JPG

x

When finished looking forward to weathering this

IMG_6653.JPG

Had a mishap with first attempt to paint a modified dutch GSV (ie suitable to run with mk2 air con sets). This happened when the masking tape was removed. Beware cleaning resin bodies properly before priming.

IMG_6550.JPG

Got it cleanup and re-primed, this time after a generous bath of IPA followed by warm soapy water to ensure no resin release agent was left before priming again with Hicote plastic grey primer.

IMG_6618.JPG

Second time around no problem removing the masking tape

IMG_6824.JPG

Mk3 respray

IMG_6829.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 01/09/2017 at 19:14, NoelG said:

.............but there were older plough vans in much more acceptable brown or bauxite livery like the GSWR plough below, and they looked prettier. 

29160110470_4dc4f239c6_b.jpg

So I have decided to convert a pair of my GWR 'toad' brake vans to ex-GSWR ploughs and match them up with my rake of IRM ballasts even if not strictly prototypical, at least there won't be any yellow.  They will need some modifications, add small windows, remove the full length steps, replace with steps under door, add vertical stanchion at door to roof, a plough, and respray in GSWR brown/bauxite.  They will be a bit long but should pass the duck test.  The alternative is to just respray a pair of BR shark vans brown, but I do like the look of GWR toads resemblance to the GSWR van.

Always good to have a few "what-ifs" - I've had quite a few over the years, on three gauges! 

For info ONLY, and absolutely not to take away from the above, both those wagons wouldn't have run like that. The "H" van on the right has a black chassis - the whole thing would have been all-grey up to 1970/1, and brown th last few years.

The plough's livery is entirely fictitious. The GSWR never painted anything brown at all, nor did the GSR; and CIE didn't either until 1970/1. If they had, it wouldn't have had a black chassis either....this is a BR thing, oft reproduced here in preservation - incorrectly.

The GSWR appear to have painted all goods and PW stock black until early in the last century, then grey. The GSR continued this. Wheels an'all! Drab; yes - but look at 071s......

The lettering - these yokes saw paintbrushes, albeit rarely, but also had timber replaced through their lives. Any faded lettering ("G S" maybe! or "G N") would have shown through grey, again not brown.....

Now, before anyone throws a bucket of bauxite paint into my tea, let me publicly seek forgiveness for painting not one, but several REAL carriages at Whitehead when I was in my teens - in a plain and one maroon livery!

As I say, for info only!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, jhb171achil said:

Always good to have a few "what-ifs" - I've had quite a few over the years, on three gauges! 

For info ONLY, and absolutely not to take away from the above, both those wagons wouldn't have run like that. The "H" van on the right has a black chassis - the whole thing would have been all-grey up to 1970/1, and brown th last few years.

The plough's livery is entirely fictitious. The GSWR never painted anything brown at all, nor did the GSR; and CIE didn't either until 1970/1. If they had, it wouldn't have had a black chassis either....this is a BR thing, oft reproduced here in preservation - incorrectly.

The GSWR appear to have painted all goods and PW stock black until early in the last century, then grey. The GSR continued this. Wheels an'all! Drab; yes - but look at 071s......

The lettering - these yokes saw paintbrushes, albeit rarely, but also had timber replaced through their lives. Any faded lettering ("G S" maybe! or "G N") would have shown through grey, again not brown.....

Now, before anyone throws a bucket of bauxite paint into my tea, let me publicly seek forgiveness for painting not one, but several REAL carriages at Whitehead when I was in my teens - in a plain and one maroon livery!

As I say, for info only!

Thanks Jonathan.  This was a 'what if' doodle born of an imaginative mind. The wagon below actually has 3 chassis that I can run it on, as seen below as seen with running step boards, and with a plough. The body plugs on and off each of the 3 chassis. All weathered grey but look brown gunky. Similarly I have a damaged 201 loco that purely for fun I might spray in CIE Black'n'Tan livery just to have as another layout oddity.

PS: You are the gate keeper of all things green and black'n'tan, and the sacred 3 link coupling, if I ever see you running a 22k DMU on a layout I will know the end of time may be near. :) 

IMG_6010.JPG

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

This recent first mk3 respray has given me an appetite for some more.

IMG_6829.jpg

Another sinful piece of mk3 modernity, alas redeemed on the right by an RPSI Dutch GSV kit in progress. This mk3 will be tippex but using revers masking once again instead of waterslide transfer stripes.

IMG_6989.JPG

x

From disaster a few weeks ago to redemption below with the second attempt

IMG_6550.JPG

Removed the mess, cleaned the resin body with spent nuclear fuel this time, re-primed, re-sprayed, and this time the masking did not pull the paint away. Waterslide transfers for the white stripes instead of my usual reverse masking for spray.

IMG_6923.JPG

Next up a kit bashed EGV from this Lima mk3 sleeper coach donor, which has been wasting away in my attic since 1980. Lots of cutting, sawing, filing and filling to do. :) Therapeutic though.

IMG_6993.JPG

• Like 1

Paint coming off with masking tape is a very disappointing result after all the hard work you put into preparation, I know your pain.

The end result is good and I hope you find the white stripes decals an easier option.

On 05/08/2020 at 12:09, kirley said:

Paint coming off with masking tape is a very disappointing result after all the hard work you put into preparation, I know your pain.

The end result is good and I hope you find the white stripes decals an easier option.

Cheers Kieran. It turned out ok'ish in the end. I reverted to reverse masking for the next project.

IMG_7042.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two variants of Dutch GSVs nearing completion on the bench. First is a rebuilt Dutch GSV IR/IE tippex Livery to run with Bachmann/MM Mk2a non-aircon coaches with the dayglo orange shade. It was an Irish Freight Models resin kit.

IMG_7245.JPG

The second is an SF kit built as an RPSI Dutch GSV to run with the RPSI mk2 set. A few modifications such as keen sprung corridor connectors and white metal buffers, both Kadee's of course.

IMG_7234.JPG

Fuel tank plus a pair of sprung keen corridor connectors to replace the resin ones that came with the kit. Bogies were resin kits with Hornby style TLCs snipped off and replaced with Kadee no 147 draft gear box couplings.

IMG_7231.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished rebuilt IE/IR Dutch GSV (exCIE) kit suitable to run with my Bachmann/MM IE/IR mk2a coaches. I seem to be collecting GSVs and EGVs  Like brake vans, I just like them, they ran with every train and had purpose in the moment of people and/or goods.

IMG_7439.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Installing a driver in 121 cab proved tricky and painful for the driver who had to undergo major surgery to fit. 

The main body comes off the chassis easily using 4 screws but boy you have to handle it with kid gloves there are so many delicate detailing parts. Getting the Cab off the main body was a serious challenge (ie without damaging anything). Took the cab door grab rails off beforehand to protect them and in advance of weathering tomorrow. One of them had fallen off in the box anyway.

IMG_8280.jpg

Both arms had to be loped off as well as tighenting his waist but a little LLP plastic surgery later and repainting and he was good to go. It's a tight fit in there most driver figures will not fit in there, too wide with limbs and hips. The arm on the floor will be dedicated to model medical science.  

IMG_8290.jpg

Anyway now there is no empty cab and there is a driver clearly visible

IMG_8296.jpg

Put everything carefully back together again in advance of weathering her tomorrow and gave her a test run to be sure all is working ok including the lights. These are exquisite models and a credit to Murphy Models design. Will put the door grab rails back on after weathering. 

IMG_8297.jpg

The tablet catcher seems to lack the presence it had on the 141, 181s. Looking forward to weathering her tomorrow. Hope I gave the driver enough food rations cause he's not coming back out of there any time soon.  

Stunning hidden detail inside the cab

IMG_8282.jpg

IMG_8285.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1