Looking for airbrush recommendations

Thanks chaps. My sanity is restored - which after much of the day spent in bed with my first known vertigo attack, is a blessing. Fortunately I am feeling much better this evening.

I bit the proverbial bullet on Sunday evening and ordered the Iwata TRN1 pistol grip airbrush from eModels (via Amazon). I was amazed when it arrived around midday today but other than open the box, have decided to leave further examination etc for another day. Hopefully that will be tomorrow.

I'll report back.

Vertigo is horrible. I had it years ago but only once. I was just about mobile after 2 days but back to 100% after 3.

I hope it is just a 1-off for you too.

For those who think it is something to do with heights, it is not. It is something which affects your sense of balance. Even sitting up makes you feel very sick. It is a struggle to even drink anything, let alone eat.

I think you are going to like your airbrush. It can wait until you are better though. It will not corrode in the meantime. :nyam:

I have an Iwata Revolution, which I bought before the Neo range was introduced. I am happy with the brush but a session of spraying 20+ wagons recently made me wish I had a pistol trigger instead of conventional control.

Iwata products are well supported with a comprehensive range of spares available. I have never & hope never to need any spares but it is nice to know they are available.

• RMweb Premium

Vertigo is horrible. I had it years ago but only once. I was just about mobile after 2 days but back to 100% after 3.

I hope it is just a 1-off for you too.

For those who think it is something to do with heights, it is not. It is something which affects your sense of balance. Even sitting up makes you feel very sick. It is a struggle to even drink anything, let alone eat.

I think you are going to like your airbrush. It can wait until you are better though. It will not corrode in the meantime. :nyam:

I have an Iwata Revolution, which I bought before the Neo range was introduced. I am happy with the brush but a session of spraying 20+ wagons recently made me wish I had a pistol trigger instead of conventional control.

Iwata products are well supported with a comprehensive range of spares available. I have never & hope never to need any spares but it is nice to know they are available.

Thanks.

I occasionally got something similar as a kid and because it always seemed to occur after I'd sat on or against something with either a damp or very hot surface thought it had been caused by that. I have always suffered from low blood pressure so the odd dizzy spell first thing in the morning has been attributed to that. In truth it transpires that my wife was concerned that I might have had a mini-stroke this time - I had a heart attack twelve years ago - and that's probably why I had the surgery's paramedic here promptly. I've had a reasonably quiet day today - having had precious little sleep last night - and still feel a little off colour but hopefully I'm over the worst of it. Apologies to the OP for drifting way off topic.

I did manage to get as far as unpacking the TRN1 and hooking it up to the compressor this afternoon. I've run some water through it and the thing that I do like is that the maximum water/paint flow can be set very easily, a facility that isn't available in the same manner on the Nero. A colleague has shown me a couple of times how to use a dual action airbrush. He seems to be able to see where the (thin) layer of paint has landed so can judge the flow accordingly. I haven't mastered that visual knack yet and just kept increasing the flow until I all but flooded what I was trying to paint. At least I can now spray onto some scrap, set the flow level with the adjuster at the end of the barrel and know that even if I can't see where the paint is going on the item being sprayed, know that it's there somewhere without the need to increase the flow rate!

• RMweb Gold

There is no opening air aperture, it's a constant hole with an on-off valve, all you can vary is how much paint is pulled through by the air, and that's the same regardless of the trigger placement or whether its a single or dual action gun. 

Not strictly true for all airbrushes. I use an Iwata Eclipse and an Iwata HP Plus and they can both be controlled by depressing the trigger by various degrees to vary the airflow and then pulling it back to vary the paint flow. The same is not true for squeeze-the-trigger-type airbrushes though (such as the Neo for Iwata TRN1/2 and the Iwata Revolution TR0/1/2). With these the airflow is created before any paint can be made to flow.

• RMweb Premium

I managed to spend a little time using the TRN1 yesterday evening.

It was certainly far more comfortable to use than the press down/back style and I was also able to concentrate more on where the paint was going knowing that no matter how hard I squeezed he trigger I wouldn't over do it. I still checked from time to time that paint was being sprayed (and that the jet hadn't become blocked). 

I'm planning to do a bit more with it this afternoon which is an improvement in itself because I almost had to be forced to use the more conventional style airbrush after I'd tried them out initially.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 03/09/2017 at 00:04, Quarryscapes said:

https://bartsharp.co.uk/index.php/compressors/airbrush-compressors-and-complete-kits/tc88t-airbrush-compressor-with-royal-130-and-133-airbrush.html

That'll get you started. Same compressor (and supplier) I use, but I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush which would blow the budget. The o.5mm nozzles on the airbrushes in the kit will be better to get you started at any rate,  though you won't be able to do really fine work. (I use 0.5mm for ease of spraying, 0.35mm clogs too much and below 0.3 is no good for paint) 

Alison at Bartsharp is very helpful. I've been asking her questions for 8 months, and always get full answers. Have just bought compressor and spray booth from her - good customer service is worth its weight in gold.