Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

14XX-1.jpg

The 14XX was a GWR tank locomotive designed for branch line passenger and freight work. Although the design is attributed to

Collett, much of the actual locomotive was derived from the earlier 19th century George Armstrong designed 517 Class. Entering

service in 1932, in all 75 were built and ran well into the 1960s with 4 surviving into preservation. An autocoach was often combined

with a 14XX on many branch line operations. The driving cab on the autocoach meant that the locomotive could be controlled from there

and negated the requirement to run the locomotive round at the end of the journey. This format was known as a push-pull train. The Dapol

14XX & autocoach will complement each other very nicely of any GWR based layout.

14XX-2.jpg

14XX-3.jpg

14XX-4.jpg

14XX-5.jpg

• Die-cast running plate

• Fully compensated die-cast chassis

• Die-cast and profiled wheels

• High level of separately applied detail

• Flickering fire light effect

• Removable cab roof for ease of posing your locomotive crew

• Sprung metal buffers and articulated screw coupling

• Dapol’s proven motor and gearbox offering exceptional smooth performance and slow running capabilities

• DCC Ready, incorporating Dapol’s new ‘Quick-fit’ DCC and speaker design

• Un-numbered versions of each livery will be available so that you can model your local locomotive

About to be tooled - expected Q3 2018

14XX-6.jpg

• Like 15

Whenever another of these is announced (in any scale), my usual comment is "why can't we have a 517 instead", but at least another useless modern loco means I won't have the expensive distraction of being tempted to model the GWR in O gauge!

• Like 1

I've seen conversions of the OO gauge 14XX to a 517. I imagine that it won't be too difficult to do the same to the O gauge version.

Apart from all the dimensions being wrong! I'd do it to my old EM gauge Airfix one, but not to a £225 O gauge one, where all the errors would stick out like a sore thumb.

Topfeed sides should be parallel in side elevation, not significantly tapered:

post-133-0-19306500-1504360583.jpg

post-133-0-04678700-1504360538.jpg

For clarification, top feed casings are pressed, and there is therefore a small release angle necessary. The problem with top feeds is that there appears to be no official drawing, and even the Didcot crew don't know of one. Another complication is that the side-elevation release angle for the 14xx casing is different to that of the Pannier casing. The current graphics Andy Y posted are crude, and I think we will have to await some better ones before a more considered view can be taken.
Edited by Miss Prism

It seems Dapol are following their N gauge strategy which is no bad thing, their 0 gauge auto coach should have telegraphed there was an 0-4-2 coming. Maybe they held off until they knew the Hattons strategy with their auto tank so they wouldn't duplicate.

Pannier, 45xx and auto tank plus coaches to match, they have the full set don't they.

That was fast in finding errors in the intital CAD. Always better to get in touch with Dapol direct though.

I have other comments, but the CADs shown here aren't really good enough to see properly. (Not Andy's fault of course, he's posting only what he's given.)

Experience with previous Oxford, DJM and Heljan things indicates that we could be into the "it's all too late to make changes now" situation, which seems to be the norm for RTR stuff these days. Does Dapol read their product threads here? Is this a Richard Webster design?

Not if you model the GWR mainline......

Not true. The 4-coach sets that came out under the Lionheart label were designated as cross-country stock by the GWR, as were the equivalent 5-coach sets for South Wales.

As for the CAD images, what you see is just a rendering, not the actual CAD drawing, so some things will be out of scale in respect to line weights, etc.

And the top feed casing - sometimes compromises are necessary just to ensure you can get the component out of the mould. They aren't necessarily avoidable within the limits of cost and practicality.

Jim

I for one am over the moon with this announcement, and will certainly be placing multiple orders regardless of a rivet counter errors.

It does make me cross that instead of praising the model, people seem to take delight in pointing out problem.

Maybe if others can do a better job they should fork out 250,000 to do their own?

• Like 1

I for one am over the moon with this announcement, and will certainly be placing multiple orders regardless of a rivet counter errors.

It does make me cross that instead of praising the model, people seem to take delight in pointing out problem.

Maybe if others can do a better job they should fork out 250,000 to do their own?

I am happy for you (and no, I am not being sarcastic) that you can find enjoyment in a model that is generally speaking the right shape.

But for many of us accuracy does matter (not the least of which because, at least until the big money is spent on tooling, it is the cheapest part of the process to get right).

If a company expect me to pay £225, or £400 if I want sound, then I expect them to go through the effort at making an accurate model, particularly given how in this day an age there is so much information available to allow them to get it right.

Any view please on whether factory fitted or retrofit sound is the better option for this and other upcoming Dapol/Lionheart releases? Dapol's GBP175 premium for factory sound seems pretty hefty and I assume there are some cheaper and/or better third party options available.

Edited by dpgibbons

• RMweb Gold

Nice. Penygraig auto train. Now my wallet is in trouble. The problem is, is that my 4' shunting plank is now 9' long. Hmmm.

Is there a way to obtain Kadee-like couplings, that look more prototypical than 7mm Kadees?

I am taken with going towards O gauge.

Ian.