Dapol announce 14xx/48xx/58xx in O.

Andy Y

Hi Miss P, The chimney and dome dimensions are correct to the Swindon General Arrangement of 1932, and regarding the joggle in the upper half of the footsteps we shall try to adjust if possible, however the overall dimension of the footsteps is correct to the GA.

Regards to all, Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I must say this looks rather nice.  This more than any other loco will tempt me not only to O gauge but also to model ( cough!) ex GWR.........

If only they would do a Beattie Well tank or B4........

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I must say this looks rather nice.  This more than any other loco will tempt me not only to O gauge but also to model ( cough!) ex GWR.........

Rob. 

It is a rather nice looking model. I have to say Ashburton (or similar) in O Gauge is calling!! I need to stop looking at 7mm stuff, it is dangerous! 

It is a shame Kernow couldn't get enough orders for there O gauge Well Tank a few years ago. Maybe now is the time? 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rosspop,

The chassis is fully compensated as follows:- Front driving axle is fixed and pony wheel rocks laterally so providing main suspension. The centre driving wheel is motorised and sprung allowing for any imperfections in trackwork. All six wheels have plunger electrical pick-up to improve performance.

Regards, Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/03/2019 at 20:04, Hal Nail said:

That’s fine until you replace the plates - my new ones didn’t fit anywhere near that snugly...

Question for Richard if I may, please - is there any possibility of Dapol working with someone like Narrow Planet to provide replacement etched number plates that will fit snugly inside the raised surround, please?

I suspect I will want mine to be 1458 in BR lined green with early crest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Go on Rob, you know you want to... in the words of Oscar Wilde "The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it..." :derisive: Once you start playing with the big lads toys you won't go back to 4-mill! 

51 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

It is a rather nice looking model. I have to say Ashburton (or similar) in O Gauge is calling!! I need to stop looking at 7mm stuff, it is dangerous! 

It is a shame Kernow couldn't get enough orders for there O gauge Well Tank a few years ago. Maybe now is the time? 

Kind regards,

Nick.

I think this model will tempt a further raft of folks into 0 gauge. As above, once you make the leap I cannot see you regreting it! 

You can almost have an instant GWR or a BR(W) branchline courtesy of Dapol, at a relatively reasonable price. What with the 14xx, 57xx, an autocoach and a handful of wagons you're almost there. It's great times for 7mm scale. 

If only Mr Dapol would do an LNER loco and ideally a NER one!! It would certainly complete the set after the GWR ones, the Terrier and Jinty. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hi Captain, The etched plates made and fitted by the factory are made to the cabside plate dimension with out the 1/2 " beading, so other plates will require removing the outer edge to make them a good fit, however I will suggest that it would be a good idea to contact Narrow Planet for special plate number service at our next management meeting.

Regards, Richard

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Rosspop,

The chassis is fully compensated as follows:- Front driving axle is fixed and pony wheel rocks laterally so providing main suspension. The centre driving wheel is motorised and sprung allowing for any imperfections in trackwork. All six wheels have plunger electrical pick-up to improve performance.

Regards, Richard

I was hoping  for that Richard 

I have been very impressed with the `open frame` look of your Pannier tanks under the boiler so hopefully the Autotank will have the same between the main Drivers ???

looking forward to snapping one up to complete my set........

Regards

John

PS    You see, some of us  smaller scale Autotank affectionados still having nightmares over these.............

p1020144.jpg.6ddcdba585be639a832b93d8cdaeaee5.jpg

...we know who we are.........             :rofl:                     :tease:                     :crazy_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Captain, The etched plates made and fitted by the factory are made to the cabside plate dimension with out the 1/2 " beading, so other plates will require removing the outer edge to make them a good fit, however I will suggest that it would be a good idea to contact Narrow Planet for special plate number service at our next management meeting.

Regards, Richard

I had some of their Beyer Peacock builders plates shrunk to fit my Dapol 57xx so I cant imagine it would be a problem to resize their cabside plates if the exact size was shared. It is theirs I have on my 57xx and they are slightly too small as supplied - unfortunately I didn't think before hand whereas I did for the builders plates!

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, coeurdelyon said:

Hi Ray, There is a very small change in diameter where the main brass chimney joins the plastic,.

I am delighted the join is almost indiscernible on the model. It is exaggerated far too often on many models. I think the prototype diameter difference was 1/8" (i.e. a 1/16" difference in radius), which is indeed very small in 7mm (and microscopic in 4mm!)  [Can't find a decent drawing at the moment.]

• Informative/Useful 1

HI , all -I know I do not normally write ,  but  looking at the 14xx body example + plus the picture  taken of the model from  Dapols  facebook  picture , there does not seem to be any of the rivet detail  (vertical )  etc on the side  tanks,  or is this just me ????  and these are added later -- ps I am not a true rivet  counter  but this  does stand out as missing on a great looking  model   regards Dave

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, coeurdelyon said:

Regards, Richard

Certainly happy to discuss a plate designed to fit if you can supply the exact size inside the moulded beading.

info@narrowplanet.co.uk

Cheers, Stephen

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi, Rivet detail is present on the tanks and bunker, I have attached a picture for reference. You will note the numberplate beading on the tank side also. This part of the numberplate is painted in the same body colour, very noticeable on Great Western green and British Railways green, picture attached of Dapol 57xx numberplate to illustrate this in Great Western green.

Regards to all, Richard

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1